Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2014, 05:58   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Wifi Router Configuration Question

I have a perennial problem with Internet access on board: guests connect to my Option Globesurfer III router, which works on a TMobile connection in the UK, and inevitably one user has automatic software updates configured, or forgets that he's on a mobile connection and starts streaming video or something else data intensive, and before you know it, the data allowance is exhausted. On TMobile that's not the end of the world, as you're not cut off, but rather throttled, when your data is finished, but still, it's annoying.

How to deal with this? Is it possible to configure some kind of gateway that will track data use of each user and warn them when they exceed certain thresholds? Or better yet -- prevent automatic software updates, streaming video, or other intensive applications?

I realize that I will probably need to have some kind of server running to implement this, but I suppose that wouldn't be unacceptably complex.

We are living in a different era now with everyone connected all the time. I know someone will now groan about why are you going cruising in the first place, if everyone is going to be connected all the time anyway? But I am not retired, nor are most of my friends retired, and people simply can't afford to be disconnected. These days it's considered basic hospitality to provide a Wifi connection to overnight guests. I inevitably get and use it when I stay with my friends, so why shouldn't I provide it when they visit me?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 16:48   #2

Re: Wifi Router Configuration Question

I haven't tried this yet, but there's an open-source firmware called dd-wrt that works on many common routers. It provides alot of control over the router operation.

But it may take some research to determine what's the best approach. There are many - filtering/blocking by protocol, url or ip, keywords, file extension or mimetype, even by user's device. One approach may be to throttle the speed of every device except yours which would be recognized by their previously-entered MAC addresses. Good luck!

Another option - insist that guests use their own mobile account for internet. Homes have inexpensive wifi, boats do not.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 17:09   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I have 3 as a 3G provider. I get unlimited data to my mobile. Upgrade your plan Dockhead.

I have routers with dd-wrt and tomato , neither will really do what you want

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 31-03-2014, 17:28   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO40

There is an open source router software called PFsense that can run on low powered servers - it has so many options one is certain to satisfy your needs.
It might be that you can't limit the amount a user downloads over x period of time without a database such as a RADIUS server, but you can control sustained downloads by limiting bandwidth once a user has reached a pre-defined limit.

FYI, this can be run on very low powered appliance type servers (Intel celeron or even atom processors) with a solid state drive so you don't kill your batteries.

Tons of forums and people are very active. Here's the first link I came up with in a Google search:

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=65906.0

Cheers!
Canuck_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 22:54   #5

Boat: BAYLINER 4788

I have a different router, a cradlepoint mbr1200

On it you can set data limits that generate an alert and or shut the internet port down.

I learned about this feature after my apple TV did a 800MB software update on a day that the cellular was down, costing me $800, and I was 1500 miles away at work.

Now I have it both alert and shutdown the satellite port after 250BM a month. I can go manually turn it on again but I have to get involved and reset it.

I also turn off the apple TV printer, IP phone, etc... when I'm not onboard
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:59   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Throttling overall output is easily attained on a number of routers. User based throttling is more difficult.

What can be done is to set up a second " guest" wifi on the router. This output could be throttled in total , leaving the private network Un throttled

Dave

Tags
route