Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 08:39   #16

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Does anyone have an Iridium Go yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
What I mean is that most people use broadband these days and not Dial-up. To use the Dial-Up service provided by Iridium an ISP with a Dial-up connection that agree to take call from Iridium is required.
OK. I think that you're saying that you would use a modem (that squealing thing) to connect to an ISP who takes dial-up connections.

I don't know where one would find either of those (a modem or an ISP that will take a call from one). My understanding of the data plans from Iridium is that they are the ISP and they provide data correctly. Also that it is charged differently than a voice call (using a modem to a land based ISP would likely just be considered a voice call by Iridium).
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:28   #17

Boat: Bristol 47.7

FWIW, I don't think the new Iridium GO is designed for internet browsing. It doesn't offer any additional bandwidth over the 9555/9505, just a different user interface. You can get affordable data plans that provide limited e-mail & Gribs using compression software, but much more than that would be costly and possibly unrealistic based on downloading times.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:50   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
What I mean is that most people use broadband these days and not Dial-up. To use the Dial-Up service provided by Iridium an ISP with a Dial-up connection that agree to take call from Iridium is required.
Unless I am myself seriously mistaken you are confusing the dial-up networking (DUN) used in Windows to connect a computer to a satellite phone with the connection Iridium uses to your underlying service provider for e-mail.

Iridium uses the Internet at a level way beyond "broadband" to connect to your ISP.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 14:18   #19

Boat: Hanse 385

I know the data speeds are shocking slow but what else is there around this price point that offers better rates?

What I'm looking for is ease of use with a common interface (iPhone) to get Gribs, send receive emails and SMS messages.

Web browsing would be great but unless there is a jump in data speeds without the huge cost?

Please visit by blog:
www.sailing-interlude.com

simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 15:36   #20

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
OK. I think that you're saying that you would use a modem (that squealing thing) to connect to an ISP who takes dial-up connections.

I don't know where one would find either of those (a modem or an ISP that will take a call from one). My understanding of the data plans from Iridium is that they are the ISP and they provide data correctly. Also that it is charged differently than a voice call (using a modem to a land based ISP would likely just be considered a voice call by Iridium).
Not dead yet.

Access Numbers
Old 03-08-2014, 05:53   #21

Quote:
You are correct to a point. A 9555 got an inbuilt modem and so should have the GO if it offers Dial-Up at 2.4 kbps. That squealing thing can be made silent. The audible mode makes it possible to monitor the progress of the connection, dialling, rings, handshaking, etc, normally using the Hayes protocol.

Quote:
I don't know where one would find either of those (a modem or an ISP that will take a call from one).
A modem no problem I was able to buy 4 few months ago but in the case of a 9555 a external modem is not needed because the 9555 come with a inbuilt modem and so should the Go. To find an ISP is a greater problem and even a greater problem if it as to take a call from Iridium. So if Dial-Up is important to someone it will be wise to shop around. Advantage of Email for Grib gathering is time. Disadvantage is if someone sends you a too big Email, above 1megabit, it may jam an email service. (it take too long to download for the time slot). It also may take too long (possible break in connection with the satellite) to use the web to clear the offending email. Also the portal of the ISP may not display and if successful may be costly.

Quote:
My understanding of the data plans from Iridium is that they are the ISP and they provide data correctly.
Correct for gaining access to the Internet but not for Email. My ISP will not accept to send Emails that he receives from the Iridium server. My ISP will only accept or was accepting to send emails if the emails where originating from a computer using my Log On from a voice call from Iridium.

Quote:
(using a modem to a land based ISP would likely just be considered a voice call by Iridium).
Yes and it will be timed and billed accordingly but to send any data using a voice call you still require to have a Data plan. Basically to use a computer with my 9555 I require a Data plan. I do not require a computer to send phone calls or SMS. With the Go I understand that a smart phone-using Wifi is required to send phone call, SMS or SMS to email addresses and for sending/receiving data from/to the Internet or Dial-UP a Data Plan is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Iridium uses the Internet at a level way beyond "broadband" to connect to your ISP.
May be but the Sat phone communicate at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Still slow as data (2400 baud) but that's good enough for Gribs / emails.
For Dial-Up or around 8 kbps for Internet. May be we will see the day of low orbiting satellites or Googles Balloons allowing broadband use.

For cost we paid $700 up front for a 9555 with kit (world AC charger, DC charger, headset, antenna adaptor, external aerial) plus $80 a month for 24 months that included $ 50 of calls. I found that $50 of calls was sufficient to cover the cost of acquiring Gribs for a month. We could have ad $1000 subsidy from the government that we did not take.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:23   #22

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
To find an ISP is a greater problem and even a greater problem if it as to take a call from Iridium.
That isn't how Iridium connects to other servers on the Internet. Period dot. Iridium connects using TCP/IP over backbone and subsidiary links.

Quote:
Correct for gaining access to the Internet but not for Email. My ISP will not accept to send Emails that he receives from the Iridium server.
Then you have some problem independent of dial-up. Work with your ISP to determine what the errors are and the course of action to correct the problem.

My ISP will only accept or was accepting to send emails if the emails where originating from a computer using my Log On from a voice call from Iridium.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 23:09   #23

Nope. Just waiting for reviews to come in now.

Please visit my blog:

Old 10-08-2014, 00:41   #24

The go does sound good at usd $135 p/m unlimited data and sms. But it does only a bit better than HF and that's usd $250 p/y. Still very interested.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:18   #25

I'm wondering if it'll help drive down the costs of other plans?

Been thinking about this Go more and more... What I need a Sat phone for is safety primarily. I'm just wondering how well it would work bouncing around in a liferaft trying to get a wifi hotspot working to your iPhone, etc?

I need to do more research for sure. I do like the idea of the apps for the iPhone turning the experience into something easier... Can you use your normal email, sms, iMessage apps via the Go for example?

Same thing with gribs. Is there a Go app for those so it's a simple download?

Can the Go be used to drive native iPhone apps? Pocket Grib, etc?

So many questions. Hopefully there will be detailed reviews shortly.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:19   #26
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I'm curious about the $135. Our iridium has unlimited data, but we pay per minute for the call. 500 minutes for $700 for 12 months. If you also have to buy minutes to use the unlimited data it would be expensive. If you have to sign up for 12 months it would be expensive. If you can pay by the month just for crossings or as needed, it might not be so bad.
We also have the iridium hotspot which together with the phone works the same as the GO. It's around $130 and works well. The benefit is that the phone is independent for the grab bag etc.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:22   #27
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A quick review of our experience setting up the phone
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...il-127525.html
Old 10-08-2014, 02:41   #28

Good info, I didn't know about this access point. So that just creates a wifi network any decide can see?

Do you also have the 'spot tracker' feature via this method?

How do you charge your sat phone if in the grab bag (I like that the go+iPhone are USB).

So in terms of air time what did you end up spending? I only really need this for the ARC and then longer passages on the way back to Sydney for weather + email + calls + location tracking

Please visit my blog:

Old 10-08-2014, 03:15   #29
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Does anyone have an Iridium Go yet?

Yes you have the same requirements we had Simon. As far as tracking, it's not automatic, but can be set up. I think rebel heart posted about how he interfaced with google earth. Also includes free SMS so you can SMS positions tHat are sent as emails. Also it will receive emails to SMS if you give out the iridium number@iridium.net email address. That's free too. We bought a 500 min 1 yr sim for about 750usd which will be more than enough for our needs. No need to subscribe to a compression service either as the access point handles the compression. We have the iridium 9555, I think the more expensive phone with built in gps does automatic position reports..
Old 10-08-2014, 04:09   #30

Sounds good. I think it will basically come down to the ease of use of the apps with the GO then.

If they work well, turning the experience into basically using your smartphone as normal, we'll go for that I think. If not sounds like what were after can be done with the access point anyhow.

Please visit my blog:

Tags
iridium