Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2014, 10:13   #151

Re: Does anyone have an Iridium Go yet?

Simon can you load Ugrib on your Ipad?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 10:59   #152

Boat: Hanse 385

I went with GRIB explorer pro until iridium pull their fingers out.

This downloads Gribs directly within the app with a GO setting. Works perfectly.

Please visit my blog:
www.sailing-interlude.com

simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 15:56   #153

Simon. To clarify are you using the GRIB Explorere plus app. I can't find the "pro" you refer to
Old 18-11-2014, 23:53   #154

Sorry, this is correct. Grib Explorer Plus.

Please visit my blog:

Old 21-11-2014, 04:08   #155

Hello Simon, thank you for clarifying that. I now have my Iridium GO, and have done a bit of testing, but only with the antenna on the unit.....conclusion: It works, but slow. As long as the connection works at sea it doesnt really matter how slow it is....I figure I will have plenty of time. It not like using it for everyday work, and clients expecting answers within minutes....essentially that is what I am trying to get away from for a few months or more.

I am getting a mast antenna installed on my L 421. Can you comment on how it (the GO) works at sea?
Thank you in advance. I will do more testing this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Can-Vik Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 06:31   #156

Boat: Tartan 34C

The Commodore has been "playing" with the GO for a few days and has successfully downloaded a week's worth of 6 hour wind and wave files using about 5 minutes of air time. We expect to get a little better at it, maybe 4 minutes, when we are not surrounded by electronic interference. On the 150 minutes a month plan, that's an update every day, more than we will actually need.

More testing and data when we leave for the Bahamas in a couple of weeks.
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 06:31   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-Vik Cat View Post
Hello Simon, thank you for clarifying that. I now have my Iridium GO, and have done a bit of testing, but only with the antenna on the unit.....conclusion: It works, but slow. As long as the connection works at sea it doesnt really matter how slow it is....I figure I will have plenty of time. It not like using it for everyday work, and clients expecting answers within minutes....essentially that is what I am trying to get away from for a few months or more.

I am getting a mast antenna installed on my L 421. Can you comment on how it (the GO) works at sea?
Thank you in advance. I will do more testing this weekend.

I saw a test that showed an antenna doesn't make any difference to speeds so will be interesting.

For me the speed is good for emails and Gribs. What I would recommend is getting weather 4D pro. This shows the satellites moving around the earth in real time. As soon as one is in your area a circle shows and using this I've had no issues at all. If you don't use this sometimes emails won't work, but this is the same with any sat phone from what I'm hearing.

Please visit my blog:

Old 21-11-2014, 19:19   #158

If I buy the Weather 4D app for $11, is there a monthly subscription charge to access the data?

Also, we are concerned that we might waste a lot of data minutes on the monthly 150 minute GO plan ($95/mo) when we have wifi or cell data available, or when we are staying for an extended time in one place. We're looking at the annual 1000 minute plan for $730 (~$60/mo). Any better bulk deals out there?

Thanks!
Old 23-11-2014, 03:44   #159

Just to let you know Iridium have released an updated Mail and Web app.

Attachments now work.

Please visit my blog:

Old 12-12-2014, 20:28   #160

I finally have my Iridium installed on Can-Vik Cat cw mast antenna, we are ready to depart Les Sables d'Olonne midday today. So far everything has worked perfect in the harbour. I suspect the same will be the case when we hit the ocean later today

Can-Vik Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 21:10   #161
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Bon voyage mate
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 01:13   #162

I see Simon is only 340nm from St. Lucia, so it won't be long before he will perhaps get a chance to report on how well it worked over the past couple of weeks.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 17:26   #163

Boat: Aries 32

I installed the Iridium Go on my 32' sailboat her in Hawaii on November 1,2014 . . . I purchased the unit through PredictWind as I am planning a Pacific crossing starting in April . . . well, we have had NOTHING but difficulties with the unit . . . primarily software problems . . . when we first tried the unit, it work OK with the external antenna, but without the external antenna, the unit barely gets a signal here in Hawaii . . . then when I tried to send a 300k file to the unit to see if it would filter a larger than 50k file . . . the software jammed and would not complete receiving email of any size . . . this took two weeks to fix by over 18 different phone calls to SatPhone Store, the service provider, PredictWind and Iridium . . . all claimed it was the other guys problem! Finally after multiple call to Iridium they basically erased all email in my system and it would work again! Then Iridium issued an upgrade to the software for the iPhone & IPad . . . and now web does not work (it only barely worked before less than 20 website were available) . . . small Facebook posts don't work . . . the simple connection button don't work . . . this was over two weeks ago and when I call or email them . . . "yes, we are aware of the problem and are working on it!" . . . well, at $125 per month for the "service" . . . I'm not very happy . . . PredictWind has be somewhat helpful . . . but I thing they were sold "vaporware" by Iridium . . . also, the Iridium software only works on smartphones or tablets, while the PredictWind software only works on laptops . . . who thought that one up? I would love to hear from other owners of the Iridium GO system and I will be happy to answer any questions anyone has . . . but so far I AM NOT IMPRESSED!
petert96753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 23:46   #164

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Sailmail is now a certified application for the Iridium Go! I downloaded the version of Airmail that recognizes the Iridium Go! wifi signal yesterday.

However, we are still in a quandary of what to do: Our Iridium 9555 had a botched repair and due to time constraints, we have to either buy a new 9555 or the Iridium Go!. The 9555 in a docking station and external antenna worked fine for us although all we used it for was email and GRIBs. We have a slew of iPhones and iPads so the Go! might be a little more convenient but it was never a big deal to fire up our PC. In a catastrophic situation where one has to abandon ship, just grabbing a sat phone might be easier than remembering to grab the Go! and the iPhone - but is that a sufficient reason to choose one over the other?

Have other issues straightened out with the Go!? Any updates from anyone?

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:39   #165

We bought a GO from PredictWind (SatPhoneStore is the US hardware provider) and installed it on a bulkhead near the nav station of our Tartan 34C. We put the external antenna on the arch near the solar panels. Other than the usual issues with running a wire from here to there on a boat, it was fairly straightforward.

The Commodore, in her capacity as Science Officer, did all of the set-up and testing, and so far everything has worked as described. We got a distinct e-mail address for the GO, which we access with a Mac Air. We have also downloaded PredictWind weather forecasts on the move, when no cell or wifi signals were near. Same as at the dock, about 4 - 6 minutes to download a week-long wind forecast and any incoming e-mails.

Our biggest concern is the usage plan. We pay $95 a month for 150 data minutes and 5 talk minutes. That allows us roughly 25 connection/downloads per month, way more than we will ever use, since we only MOVE about 6 or 7 times a month and usually are able to find cell or wifi data (the Wilson cell phone range extender is AWESOME for this). As a result, we are losing 80 - 90% of our paid-for "time" each month.

We keep it charged up so that if we ever have to abandon ship, the GO comes with us. We have waterproof cases on our phones to complete the kit as an emergency communicator.

On a scale of 1 - 10, I rate it like this:

Hardware - 8.5 (expensive but functions as described)
Ease of use - 8.5 (like any new gadget, a learning curve)
Functionality - 9.0 (everything works; good thing we have a Mac/iphones)
Service plan - 4.0 (overpriced and no plan flexibility)
Overall rating - 7.0 (good, maybe even very good, but they'll get their clock cleaned when someone learns to send global weather files to your sat-informed GPS)

Your mileage may vary.......

Tags
iridium