Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2015, 06:56   #46

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: B&G Zeus MFD - Has Anyone Tried it ?

Now that we actually did bite the bait, this B&G ZeusT12+ 4G Radar, I have other questions.

Regarding integration with Raymarine ST60 instruments
ST60 Wind - True and apparent speed and angle
ST60 Tridata -Depth, STW, Sea Temperature , Total and Trip Log
Raymarine Fluxgate Compass - Nmea to autopilot
ST4000 Wheelpilot autopilot

I have been told that Seatalk wind, depth and speed thru water can be connected via Nmea2000 adapters. What are the needed components? I believe there is a Raymarine SeatalkNS/2000 cable that is needed to get ST to Nmea2000.

Is the connection from Seatalk to Nmea2000 a one way connection or can data and instructions (waypoints, etc) be sent back to the Seatalk bus?

Also does anyone know if the Raymarine Fluxgate Compass puts information on the Seatalk bus through the ST4000 Wheel Autopilot? --I hope so, I will need it for the B&G 4G radar I believe. Otherwise I will need to purchase a compatible compass ($$) or come up with another solution.

ST4000 Wheel Autopilot - I assume that this instrument will not integrate with the B&G Zeus T12 Multifunction display, and all the page 33 "Using the Autopilot" functions listed under page 33 in the manual are not possible without a B&G autopilot. This includes control of the steering, in wind mode, layline steering, tacking, turns, and waypoint navigation mode. - Is this true? I can live with it by simply using the autopilot alone as I always have. Note: I believe Opencpn would be able to interface and control the autopilot with the Seatalk Link from gadgetpoole, but I have not tried that yet.

Routes and Waypoints - there is no USB plug so it appears a PC cannot connect to import and export routes and waypoints without the Gofree Wifi-1 device added. Does anyone have experience importing and exporting from Opencpn?

The Zeus T12 appears to have more features than we will ever use on a small boat including audio FM/AM and video however someday soon will will want AIS, possibly GoFree Wifi and maybe SiriusXM Weather.

Thanks for your help.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 07:53   #47

Nice to know that Zeus Touch in standalone works fine. I definitely need it with Radar. I would like ST60 data needed sent to Zeus for Sailsteer to work properly.

Our 23 year 1993 RL9 LCD Autohelm Radar (still works) 2kw, 16nm range, 35 yard range discrimination, 30watt, 12.1 lbs, 17.7" dia x 8.9" high radome (base 10.6"x7.9") has been a good small unit, but it is time for replacement with newer technology.

B&G G4 165mW transmit, 32nm, 2meter close range, 21watt dual range, 2.9watt standby, 16.31 lb, 11.02" High x 19.28" Dia. radome. Instant on, low radiation. Works with Opencpn too.
Old 14-10-2015, 08:37   #48

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

It was my understanding that Zeus translates to NMEA0183 as well as NMEA2000.

The way I understand it the GoFree wifi would be the answer to mounting the MFD but using a tablet either at the helm or below. I plan to mount the MFD at the helm and use the wifi to my iPad Air 2 elsewhere.
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 19:49   #49

Here is what I have found out so far. Take it with a grain of salt...

To connect Raymarine Seatalk ST60 Instruments to Nmea2000 (bidirectional)
-------------
Raymarine SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalk ng Converter Kit
Model #: E22158 Item #: 254238 $87.99
Defender.com Search Results: 254238
Works with Select SeaTalk 1 Instruments, GPS sensors and LifeTag,
Easy Plug-and-Play Connectivity with SeaTalk ng Networks

Raymarine
SeaTalk NG To NMEA2000 DeviceNet Male Connector, Adapter Cable Mfg #:A06046 Item # : 257913 $28.99
Defender.com Search Results: 257913
NMEA 2000 micro male connector on one end and SeaTalk NG connector on the other end
U
sed when connecting NMEA2000 standard devices to Raymarine SeaTalkng data network & visa versa. The adapter cable has a standard white Raymarine spur connection on one end, and a NMEA2000 DeviceNet Male connector on the other. The adapter is approximately 10-inches long. This adaptor has a DeviceNet connector with pins ("male"). That's what you need to plug into a DeviceNet T-connector as the drop cable. As it turns out, I could not get either of those cables to resolve the ambiquity, and I made my own by cutting some other cables in half and splicing them.
(A male devicenet connector at the tee end of every drop (or "spur" in STng talk) because a standard tee has two female and one male connectors. ) NMEA-2000 and SeaTalkNG - Panbo Forum
--Seatalk-to-STng converter also produces valid NMEA 2000 PGNs...
"As far as I can tell, True Wind info is not present on the Seatalk bus, in either Seatalk1 or SeatalkNG, at least in a hybrid system. I have ST60 displays and ST70 pods and displays, and I can only find Apparent Wind data present on either bus. Which means that each display must be calculating its own True Wind data."

I am not sure if I will be able to control the ST4000 Wheelpilot from the B&G Autopilot section
and there is no USB connection for a PC with Opencpn...but creating waypoints and routes is easy enough with the display.

Also I believe my slow Raymarine Fluxgate Compass 9not 10mhz) for my slow sailboat should have Heading on the ST bus, so it will get to the radar so that Marpa and Radar overlay on chart will work. We will see.

I will need (2) Nmea2000 T''s and some cables for backbone and the following drops or spurs.
- Seatalk Data
- Radar RI10 Interface
- B&G Zeus T12 Display
- 12vdc power

The gowifi wifi-1 module connects via ethernet to the display.
This device has Apps for ipad and android, but Opencpn Android does not work with it.

Perhaps the Opencpn Android app should be made to work with Gowifi and Nema2000 someday.
Old 14-10-2015, 20:12   #50

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Here is what I have found out so far. Take it with a grain of salt...

To connect Raymarine Seatalk ST60 Instruments to Nmea2000 (bidirectional)
-------------
Raymarine SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalk ng Converter Kit
Model #: E22158 Item #: 254238 $87.99
Defender.com Search Results: 254238
Works with Select SeaTalk 1 Instruments, GPS sensors and LifeTag,
Easy Plug-and-Play Connectivity with SeaTalk ng Networks

Raymarine
SeaTalk NG To NMEA2000 DeviceNet Male Connector, Adapter Cable Mfg #:A06046 Item # : 257913 $28.99
Defender.com Search Results: 257913
NMEA 2000 micro male connector on one end and SeaTalk NG connector on the other end
U
sed when connecting NMEA2000 standard devices to Raymarine SeaTalkng data network & visa versa. The adapter cable has a standard white Raymarine spur connection on one end, and a NMEA2000 DeviceNet Male connector on the other. The adapter is approximately 10-inches long. This adaptor has a DeviceNet connector with pins ("male"). That's what you need to plug into a DeviceNet T-connector as the drop cable. As it turns out, I could not get either of those cables to resolve the ambiquity, and I made my own by cutting some other cables in half and splicing them.
(A male devicenet connector at the tee end of every drop (or "spur" in STng talk) because a standard tee has two female and one male connectors. ) NMEA-2000 and SeaTalkNG - Panbo Forum
--Seatalk-to-STng converter also produces valid NMEA 2000 PGNs...
"As far as I can tell, True Wind info is not present on the Seatalk bus, in either Seatalk1 or SeatalkNG, at least in a hybrid system. I have ST60 displays and ST70 pods and displays, and I can only find Apparent Wind data present on either bus. Which means that each display must be calculating its own True Wind data."

I am not sure if I will be able to control the ST4000 Wheelpilot from the B&G Autopilot section
and there is no USB connection for a PC with Opencpn...but creating waypoints and routes is easy enough with the display.

Also I believe my slow Raymarine Fluxgate Compass 9not 10mhz) for my slow sailboat should have Heading on the ST bus, so it will get to the radar so that Marpa and Radar overlay on chart will work. We will see.

I will need (2) Nmea2000 T''s and some cables for backbone and the following drops or spurs.
- Seatalk Data
- Radar RI10 Interface
- B&G Zeus T12 Display
- 12vdc power

The gowifi wifi-1 module connects via ethernet to the display.
This device has Apps for ipad and android, but Opencpn Android does not work with it.

Perhaps the Opencpn Android app should be made to work with Gowifi and Nema2000 someday.
All correct. You will not be able to control the autopilot from the Zeus. The radar overlay will work but be slightly slower than the Zeus. True wind is calculated (boat only sees apparent), if you run the B&G software updates, you will have true wind. Keep in mind you are buying the older t12, and not the Zeus2.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 05:04   #51

Thanks Caelestis. Very helpful. I really don't know what I am missing. What is the difference between Zeus T12 and Zeus2, please?

I was never able justify purchase at the regular price so this bundled offer was a real opportunity. I actually wanted just the radar for use with Opencpn, but the display came with it. Sending in the rebate form today.

This should be useful for the next 20 years...since I am retiring a 23-24 year old autohelm radar and have been using handheld gps since the garmin 48.
Old 15-10-2015, 05:25   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
Active Captain sent out a very interesting email yesterday. Defender Marine are offering a B&G Zeus Touch T12 MFD with 4G Radar bundle at $2519.00 already discounted from the list of $5149.00 But the Boat Show season is upon us and another $400 mail in rebate on the B&G 4G radar reduces the bundle to an astonishing $2119.!!! ActiveCaptain Product of the Week

This just might be the ticket. Let the fun begin....
HAHA!!!!!!!!!

Just clicked on the Defender link to see, and of course it's a new week and new product... Just for you kind sir... Starbrite Fuel Treatment! Woo hoo!

Well... It wasn't holding tank treatment or toilet paper...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 07:01   #53

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

As CAELESTIS pointed out, the T12 is NOT the Zeus2. And I'm not sure about the compass. The B&G (and Simrad, in general) wants a rate compass to get the overlay to function for the radar.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 07:51   #54

Roy M Yes, I know it is not the Zeus2!
...so what is the point?
Do you know what the differences are?
Old 15-10-2015, 08:02   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
It was my understanding that Zeus translates to NMEA0183 as well as NMEA2000.

The way I understand it the GoFree wifi would be the answer to mounting the MFD but using a tablet either at the helm or below. I plan to mount the MFD at the helm and use the wifi to my iPad Air 2 elsewhere.
That is what I have done, and am waiting for the Ipad Pro to come out with it's bigger screen.
You can completely control the plotter and Radar from the Ipad down below, which I like.
Seemingly many others have reported failures with their GoFree though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 08:11   #56

Sorry. Yes, the Zeus2 has faster processors, new software and is designed to make use of the wind direction and layline computation features.

Sure, the older technology gets you to the same place. The newer stuff just seems so cool.
Old 15-10-2015, 08:15   #57

a64pilot, I, too, am including the WiFi to my mix of gear, but I want the tablet on the overhead above my berth. It will be the modern equivalent of the telltale compass old windjammer skippers had. It will be so cool to access all that info without getting out of bed when I'm off watch.
Old 15-10-2015, 09:10   #58

Roy M

I think your two videos are from this Zeus Touch 12 web page perhaps:
Zeus Touch 12
If so, that is wonderful! Seems to do laylines with adjustment for current etc.
I could get used to this for sure.

So I guess the Zeus2 is faster processors and better presentation.

Roy M
Do you know if Gowifi will have the ability to send Nmea 0183 data to Opencpn?
I would like to use Opencpn on Android.
Old 15-10-2015, 09:47   #59

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Roy M

I think your two videos are from this Zeus Touch 12 web page perhaps:
Zeus Touch 12
If so, that is wonderful! Seems to do laylines with adjustment for current etc.
I could get used to this for sure.

So I guess the Zeus2 is faster processors and better presentation.
I know a couple of features the Zeus2 has over regular Zeus.
1. C-Map, Navionics, and Insight chart compatibility. I think the Zeus only supports Navionics and Insight.
2. Faster processor (already mentioned)
3. 2 Memory card slots on Zeus2
4. Zeus2 has Racepanel (geared to racing boats).
5. Zeus2 has a "slightly" higher resolution (very slight).

Thats about it!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 18:07   #60

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Quote:

Do you know if Gowifi will have the ability to send Nmea 0183 data to Opencpn?
I would like to use Opencpn on Android.

We have the gofree module with Simrad equipment, and it does provide NMEA 0183 data over wifi, so you can connect any NMEA client such as OpenCPN.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote