Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 10:13   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Any experience with wireless radar?

I know of one hard grounding/ de-masting, and one vessel lost completely when navigating with ipads. If this stays an iPad only solution, somebody will stuff it up when relying on this solution. Can you imagine trying to navigate in the fog, can't see the screen, and flipping between apps?
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:20   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I think its great for not having to run wiring besides the power supply to and from the radar. Ease of installation is a real benefit.
While it is a LITTLE bit easier without the data cable, to put it in perspective, the power cable is a big thick one and the data cable is a CAT5 ethernet cable. So it isn't all that much more difficult to run the ethernet cable.

These newer radars are not like the ones at old in their operation or wiring. Long gone is the honking big uncuttable, unspliceable, must stay the exact length always data cable. It is now just a thin ethernet cable that can be cut and sized at will.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:42   #18

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I don't see overlays for your charts yet either. After going from separate screens, to split screens to overlay, I wouldn't go back.

Matt
Old 09-06-2014, 10:56   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If I understand correctly the radar output is sent only to an iPad or similar device? If so, for me one big problem is none of these are visible in direct sunlight so no radar to use in the cockpit on a sunny day.
That's correct - it can only talk to tablets. For whatever crazy reason they gave it no ability to interface to any MFDs or even a laptop. To me that's a non-starter - tablets are backup navigation devices only, not primary navigation.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:19   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Any Experience with Wireless Radar?

From what I saw, I think it was IOS devices only, so Iphone, Ipad, that's it.
Now put WiFi on a regular RADAR, have apps that support both IOS and Android, and I think you have something.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:59   #21
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

sixteen hundred bucks. I prefer monochrome displays. Exact same data, less clutter. Less chance of human screwup. I'm surprisingly not that worried about seeing the display in an open cockpit on a sunny day. That's not when I stare at radar needing the info. And people were hitting rocks a long time before they had iPads to blame it on.

I seem to recall a steady stream of stories of people driving off the road into trouble while following GPS displays in their cars. You can't fool proof an idiot.
Old 10-06-2014, 16:16   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I prefer monochrome displays.
huh, the information imparted by a false colour display is very useful

as to sunlight readable, perhaps you have never had the experience of being in bright sunshine, with fog ahead, using radar to see shipping !!

dave
Old 10-06-2014, 16:46   #23
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
huh, the information imparted by a false colour display is very useful

as to sunlight readable, perhaps you have never had the experience of being in bright sunshine, with fog ahead, using radar to see shipping !!

dave
I made a living in the offshore survey business, interpreting various sidescan sonar displays, from the early wet paper recorders right on up through dual frequency with all sorts of color coded displays. Commercial and military. Radar is very similar. I prefer monochrome displays.

as to sunlight readable, the scenario you describe has just about a zero percent chance of ever happening to me again. It's moot, though. I won't have my radar display outside in the sunlight no matter who manufactured it.
Old 29-07-2014, 17:08   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Duffy 37

[QUOTE=colemj;1560281]Yes, this is Furuno's standard DSR4 radome - nothing new at all in that part of it. The difference is only in the added wifi module instead of the ethernet interface./QUOTE]

Not true. The DRS4D is a 4kW 24-inch radome. This DRS4W is a 4kW 19-inch radome (like the 2 kW DRS2D). Plus the DRSxD radomes offer many advanced features not mentioned with DRS4W, like ARPA, multi-speed rotation, dual range, true motion, and much more.

See for yourself:

Product List - Radars : NavNet 3D Radar Sensors

FURUNO 1st Watch Wireless Radar
Ben Ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 06:25   #25

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

I'm interested in this because I do not want to have to buy a very expensive proprietary display to view the radar data. I use opencpn, have Linux as my operating system.
Some of the comments so far do not address:
The radar data is the same as what's shown on a wired display or wireless. The iPad can do more for me than an MFD for a lot less money. I have a first gen iPad that refuses to die. They are no less reliable than an MFD dedicated to only displaying proprietary data (seatalk or other protocols). Using 12v step down converters I can power the iPad from the same power source as the MFD.
Many commented they see nothing new here. I see I do not need to use a closed system (seatalk hs comes to mind) to view the data or hard wire it With expensive proprietary cables.
Opencpn is my choice for chart plotter so I am hoping this may allow a plugin to talk to the unit and not be forced to use iOS.
I concede functionality is the same. Most only look at their in place system vs this. Look at this from a cost to install and use for a new install like the OP stated it was for. The cost for the data to be displayed anywhere on the boat. It would be nice to see that squall coming without having to go to the location of the MFD.
I hope this opens up that data to allow it to be overlayed on opencpn without having to make custom cables or use windows version of opencpn since the bottom line is I want radar, I can't afford to buy radar plus an expensive cable, pay to have it wired up and buy an MFD for another one to two grand. Outta my budget. This brings radar into my budget. I can't see how that is so easily discounted as nothing new. What else does this I can also consider with the OP for a new install?
BTW my boat has currently just seatalk1 setup. Navman 6500, ST60+, ST6002, smartpilot, RAY55 (DSC gets GPS from NMEA out from 6500)... soon AIS650. Opencpn with usb GPS for chartplotter. No budget to buy all new.
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 06:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
I know of one hard grounding/ de-masting, and one vessel lost completely when navigating with ipads. If this stays an iPad only solution, somebody will stuff it up when relying on this solution. Can you imagine trying to navigate in the fog, can't see the screen, and flipping between apps?
OP is asking about radar. This is a discussion on wired radar to the display vs wireless radar to a wireless display. Same data. Did you know iPads are in the hands of most every commercial pilot now? iPads have a great many more uses over a single purpose MFD. Responsibility lies with the captain not the tools. Can't blame an iPad for careless piloting (boat, plane, car).
Old 22-12-2014, 06:48   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
From what I saw, I think it was IOS devices only, so Iphone, Ipad, that's it.
Now put WiFi on a regular RADAR, have apps that support both IOS and Android, and I think you have something.
Well put. Completely agree. This whole closed source, closed protocol, forced path to expensive cables, parts, repair has to go. I wonder which vendor will finally have the guts and foresight to open up and thrive in the future by opening up their protocols. Open source is not going away and will continue to push out proprietary only a matter of when not if.

Surely these units share hardware and it's only a matter of time until open source software controls them. i just hoped maybe this was a start from furuno.
Old 22-12-2014, 07:12   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Do any of the multi-function machines, chart plotter, RADAR and depth, have a Wi-fi capability so that their screens can be seen on another device?

My ideal would be to be able to see chart and possibly RADAR overlay and AIS on something wireless down below, whether that be IOS or tablet , I don't care.
I'm after something that I can see heading, position AIS and RADAR when I am down below and not on watch, doe this exist?
Old 22-12-2014, 09:05   #29

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastdaddy View Post
Well put. Completely agree. This whole closed source, closed protocol, forced path to expensive cables, parts, repair has to go. I wonder which vendor will finally have the guts and foresight to open up and thrive in the future by opening up their protocols. Open source is not going away and will continue to push out proprietary only a matter of when not if.

Surely these units share hardware and it's only a matter of time until open source software controls them. i just hoped maybe this was a start from furuno.
Navico (Simrad, B&G, Lowrance) opened up their systems a couple years ago. OpenCPN uses their radars, as well as Garmin's I think.

I don't know why you think the Furuno is open - it requires Furuno software to use.

NMEA2000 is not a proprietary protocol for all other data. Raymarine stupidly sticks to proprietary connectors for some of their stuff, and uses non-standard protocols for even fewer, but it is very easy to vote with your money on this - others do not do what RM does.

Cabling and connectors for NMEA are inexpensive if you don't buy kits from marine vendors. Even the marine vender ones are not proprietary (Raymarine excepted). Any radome you install will still need a large power cable - the extra small Cat5 ethernet cable that wireless forgoes is inconsequential.

Most vendors now have wireless tablet integration that allows main plotter data to be mirrored and controlled remotely. Some have had this for years now.

I don't understand why you think an open-source piece of equipment won't need parts or repair compared to "closed" systems. Nobody is going to make hardware from Radio Shack bins, nor use such mil-spec components, burn in and testing that they will never break down.

You have some good points, but they are buried in an unexamined rant with little knowledge of what is current in the field/market.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 10:19   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Most vendors now have wireless tablet integration that allows main plotter data to be mirrored and controlled remotely. Some have had this for years now.
Mark
Mark,
Who? I know Garmin has another box you can buy that will Wi-Fi, but don't know it's capability.
Who can mirror and control remotely via I assume Wi-Fi?
I don't go to boat show etc., so my knowledge is stale to say the least.

Tags
enc, radar