Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-07-2013, 09:31   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Amazing Power of Good Antennas

As part of my mast-out refit this winter, I replaced my VHF antenna with a Shakespeare Galaxy (as recommended by Nick of Jedi) and added a Diamond vhf/uhf ham antenna on my first spreader (10 meters or 33 feet above the water) for amateur radio plus AIS.

Both connected with fat low-attenuation RG213 cable in place of the old thin coax.

I had some initial problems with a Type "N" connector which I bungled, but now everything is working fine.

I am really amazed at the difference it makes to VHF comms. I now hear calls from all up and down the English Channel, from far beyond line of sight range (which I had thought was a natural limitation). From L' Aber Wrach'h, I got a "loud and clear" radio check report from Falmouth Coast guard, more than 100 miles away! I have had to start using the "LO/DX" switch on the radio (an Icom M604) to filter out very distance calls, and I am now using the low power setting (1 watt instead of 25 watts) for most calls. 1 watt is plenty to be heard very well up to 20 miles or so. I had no idea the antenna would make such a difference.

I received a DSC distress call from next to Hurst Castle in the Solent -- from Ushant -- 120 miles away! And that was from a small yacht, so not a high antenna like the Coast Guard has.

Likewise, with AIS, although the antenna is only 10 meters above the water. I see ships all the way across the English Channel, routinely more than 100 miles away.

I don't yet know from how far other vessels can see my AIS transmissions -- I will start checking that soon.

I always thought that VHF was strictly line of sight, so never thought it was worth spending a lot of time or money on antennas. Boy, was I wrong.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote