Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 19:11   #301

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
that was johnny cruiser ,he still owes me a bottle of whisky! for pointing him in the right direction,i belive he bought a boat in palma,got quite a few pm from him,last i heard he was visiting anjou in the uk

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nce-73526.html
After Anjou showed her nice transom on the forum, she got a lot more popular!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 19:16   #302
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
After Anjou showed her nice transom on the forum, she got a lot more popular!
not a bad bowsprit either! http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...jou-23522.html

and her barge project here

Artimis
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 19:25   #303
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I liked your examples. We should have a category alone for just them. I had forgotten most of those. Thanx for the trip down memory lane. I don't see them as Wannabees but rather never was. They're the ones that came on to get attention. Then there are the more covert wannabees with good questions but you find out in about the 30th post that they are not going buy a boat for 15 years.
remember this exhausting thread

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rst-73192.html
Old 29-09-2012, 20:20   #304

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Nothing worthwhile was ever done, without someone first dreaming of doing it. Wannabe-ism is a growth industry. Once, the thought of going offshore was the province of highly experienced mariners with knowledge of astral navigation, and a true, deep understanding of wind, currents and tides. Then GPS arrived.

Once, not so long ago, wannabees needed to make a commitment which was not mitigated by being able to step onto a dock, spiffed up in nice clothing, for a quick walk to the local coffee shop. Then, for the large part, docklines replaced anchors.

Like marriage which these days is more often than not ended through divorce, sailing and voyaging is very easy to get into. It doesn't require the same level of thought; and modern production techniques mean a good boat can be bought for one or two year's salary.

More wannabees, means more failures. Glossy magazines promote an idyllic lifestyle with little responsibility. The reality is different. Wannabees are culled by that realisation.

But one only has to get out there and do it to realise there is still a reasonably high proportion of wannabees who have made the cut and become 'doers'.

The one true benefit of wannabees, it that they buy boats, make 'em decent, fill 'em full of gadgets and gismos, then flog them off when the gloss fades.

There's some great bargains out there!
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 01:57   #305
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Nothing worthwhile was ever done, without someone first dreaming of doing it. Wannabe-ism is a growth industry. Once, the thought of going offshore was the province of highly experienced mariners with knowledge of astral navigation, and a true, deep understanding of wind, currents and tides. Then GPS arrived.

Once, not so long ago, wannabees needed to make a commitment which was not mitigated by being able to step onto a dock, spiffed up in nice clothing, for a quick walk to the local coffee shop. Then, for the large part, docklines replaced anchors.

Like marriage which these days is more often than not ended through divorce, sailing and voyaging is very easy to get into. It doesn't require the same level of thought; and modern production techniques mean a good boat can be bought for one or two year's salary.

More wannabees, means more failures. Glossy magazines promote an idyllic lifestyle with little responsibility. The reality is different. Wannabees are culled by that realisation.

But one only has to get out there and do it to realise there is still a reasonably high proportion of wannabees who have made the cut and become 'doers'.

The one true benefit of wannabees, it that they buy boats, make 'em decent, fill 'em full of gadgets and gismos, then flog them off when the gloss fades.

i've know a few who through great personal sacrifice have spent years building boats,only to launch them,go offshore and scare the bejuzzus out of themselves,and promptly put the boat on the market.
i guess the dream for some is more real than the reality!

who was it said sailing is like standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 dollar bills!
Old 30-09-2012, 02:03   #306
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

When we had a Colvin Gazelle junk rigged schooner, some bloke came down and asked if he could go for a sail because he had spent the last six years building a boat and he thought a junk rig might be the way to go. Of course we said yes, and the day we went out it was just about perfect, 15 to 20 knots and a very calm sea, he was sick as a dog and asked if it was always as rough as this. Turns out that he had never actually been outside and he had wasted all those years building something that he could not cope with, and was going home to sell it.Sad, but a testament to wannabe over reality.

Coops.
Old 30-09-2012, 02:48   #307
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

Whilst I am sure what you say has some truth in it - nonetheless I think it is based on the premise that those who don't "get out there" and forever are somehow failures.

Although I have no criticism to make of those who do succeed in that ambition and are very happily wandering around the planet by boat "forever" (well, so far ) - nonethless I think they are (and have always been) a minority, in both acheivement and intention.

The majority of folks on boats simply being those who enjoy them, including in home waters - and sometimes that enjoyment includes wandering off for extended periods, whether or not with the vague intention of "forever". But life being the funny bugger it is tends to throw up both curve balls and opportunities - either of which can result in folks coming ashore, including because it is genuinely a better and more fun option for them. Some of course won't be able to make it back ashore, but most people will have some sort of Plan B so a boat does not have to be a one way trip - even if that Plan B is developed late in the day. with it's mother being neccesity .

Failure or Sucess - define it yerself , not have it by defined by others.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 03:32   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Whilst I am sure what you say has some truth in it - nonetheless I think it is based on the premise that those who don't "get out there" and forever are somehow failures.
Certainly not my intention to imply that those who want to sail and don't, are failures. There can be many reasons why people don't get out into deep water. Some people just like mucking around with their boats. I know several people who bought boats, spent dollars making them good, then sold them off after having had a jolly good time. Not one of them is a failure.
Priorities change, children get born, people die, careers blossom, dreams change for many reasons. The bottom line must always be the contentment factor. As long as it is high, the world is a wonderful place.
Old 30-09-2012, 04:02   #309
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
The bottom line must always be the contentment factor. As long as it is high, the world is a wonderful place.

(still struggling with that meself though )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 04:51   #310
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The contentment Factor, is he related to the seawind Factor?

Coops.
Old 30-09-2012, 04:54   #311

^ What?
Old 30-09-2012, 05:02   #312
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry Auzzee, it was, obviously, a poor attempt at a jest regarding the CF member "Factor" who is the Seawind agent. I shall now get my coat and hat and head home to my cave.

Coops.
Old 30-09-2012, 05:29   #313

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

All those glossy pictures and documentorys on sailing the seven seas,

Are usually in calm tropical lagoons that are so idealic, paradise, etc,

People sailing in 5 metre waves and above, are reserved for the news desk,

People that want to take up sailing are usually under the impression, its a lovely place to sail, The ocean is a flat undulating peacefull place to be relaxing,

It would be magic on a boat out there, Middle of the Pacific, Atlantic, Southern Ocean, Look at all those cruise boats, They do it all the time,

Look at all the brochures the Tour companys put out, Do you ever see one with 10 metre waves crashing over the bows, I dont think so, Hahahahaha,

They also dont advertise that the sea was so bad it smashed out the windows on the tenth floor above sea level, you only get that on the news, when it isnt suppressed,

First time in really big waves, These people have given the sea a big miss, Not their cup of tea,

It certainly takes the wannabe sailors out of them,

Instead of getting people to read books on sailing the seas,

Get them to watch video's on youtube, Sailing in extreme weather, Or the Sydney Hobart race
in extreme weather with 90 foot high seas. Or rounding Cape horn in a sail boat,

There would be a lot less wannabe's thinking of heading out to sea,

It would be, Not on your Nellie, Sonny, I aint going out there,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 05:39   #314
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
All those glossy pictures and documentorys on sailing the seven seas,

Are usually in calm tropical lagoons that are so idealic, paradise, etc,

People sailing in 5 metre waves and above, are reserved for the news desk,

People that want to take up sailing are usually under the impression, its a lovely place to sail, The ocean is a flat undulating peacefull place to be relaxing,

It would be magic on a boat out there, Middle of the Pacific, Atlantic, Southern Ocean, Look at all those cruise boats, They do it all the time,

Look at all the brochures the Tour companys put out, Do you ever see one with 10 metre waves crashing over the bows, I dont think so, Hahahahaha,

They also dont advertise that the sea was so bad it smashed out the windows on the tenth floor above sea level, you only get that on the news, when it isnt suppressed,

First time in really big waves, These people have given the sea a big miss, Not their cup of tea,

It certainly takes the wannabe sailors out of them,

Instead of getting people to read books on sailing the seas,

Get them to watch video's on youtube, Sailing in extreme weather, Or the Sydney Hobart race
in extreme weather with 90 foot high seas. Or rounding Cape horn in a sail boat,

There would be a lot less wannabe's thinking of heading out to sea,

It would be, Not on your Nellie, Sonny, I aint going out there,
even big ships get a wake up call
Cruise Ship In Storm – Cruise Ship Balmoral Hits Rough Seas
Old 30-09-2012, 05:50   #315

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

You dont see any piccys like that in their advertising for cruises,

If they did, they wouldnt have any passengers, hahahahahahaha
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote