Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2012, 14:45   #91

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i allways tell my novice delivery crew when questioned about getting jobs in the superyacht industry, that after they have got their stcw95,to get a pair of raybands,some docksiders,a polo shirt preferably with a yacht logo on it,so they can look the part and walk the docks looking for jobs!
works every time.

in your case perhaps it is better to be seen as a wannabe than a hasbeen!
just kidding,

the aim of the thread was to provoke a reponse,and hopefully get some good stories,as others have pointed out we were all wannabees at some stage,turning our dreams into reality.,

so all i can say to you is if it offends,i apologise,but in the mean time thanks for all the great follow up stories the members are posting

and to borrow a cliche........just do it!

Thanks for the explanation.

Tell you the truth I am sure I must have made the repairer where I am getting some insurance work domes wannabe list. As soon as I realised they had committed major details from the claim they blamed me. So I went back and assessed the work they had done. For "experts" they had even drilled the holes for the bow navigation lights the wrong way around!

Eventually I am going to get this boat sailing again, but it constantly seems to be a battle. To make it you need to be more a warrior than wannabe! Oh yeah, on the "has been" bit I am still surfing as well as ever.

Then again, just in case anyone wants to push issues like this I do a bit of karate and mixed martial arts when I am back in my home port. It still rubs me up beyond belief that some want to test me as a "has been" or "wannabe" just because I lived inland for a while under tragic circumstances.

OK, finished my morning cup of tea. Time to wax up, jump overboard and go for my daily paddle.
Old 23-09-2012, 14:51   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Tell you the truth I am sure I must have made the repairer where I am getting some insurance work domes wannabe list. As soon as I realised they had committed major details from the claim they blamed me. So I went back and assessed the work they had done. For "experts" they had even drilled the holes for the bow navigation lights the wrong way around!

Eventually I am going to get this boat sailing again, but it constantly seems to be a battle. To make it you need to be more a warrior than wannabe!
keep on keeping on! it will all be worth it in the end,sometimes judging oneself againt others can be a folly,especilly when they turn out to be headless chickens thinking the sky just fell in
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 15:16   #93

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
keep on keeping on! it will all be worth it in the end,sometimes judging oneself againt others can be a folly,especilly when they turn out to be headless chickens thinking the sky just fell in
Yep, a lot of "headless chickens" over here thinking they know all. Just such a boring and draining battle trying to avoid their poo. Another good reason to get this boat moving again and get my freedom back"
Old 23-09-2012, 16:19   #94

Boat: Dean Ocean Liner 365

Don't mind being called a wannabee. Everybody is a wannabee before they are the "real" thing. If you never become a wannabee, you will never reach what you wanna be. And preperations are half the fun! It's like being a child in front of a toy store while waiting for his birthday or saving his money for that one great toy.
Notyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 16:23   #95

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyet View Post
Don't mind being called a wannabee. Everybody is a wannabee before they are the "real" thing. If you never become a wannabee, you will never reach what you wanna be. And preperations are half the fun! It's like being a child in front of a toy store while waiting for his birthday or saving his money for that one great toy.
How true ... I was a wannabee ... became a dobee and had a lot of fun dreaming along the way!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 16:42   #96
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
we are all wannabes in some sense or another--my cruising was aided and abetted by a mooring company deciding to stick to rules for a change--as i had 2 boats on moorings and one is all allowed by bylaws, one needed to leave --so i got formosa ready and split. no she wasnt totally ready--nor was i--go figger i have a disabling underlying condition..LOL
but, each resting place is just that--i rest, fix some things and proceed until i find somewhere to base myself then go from there..now if i could just get my hands to cooperate i could continue sola.....or i can wait a few more months before sailing farther south----i wannabe on carib side----i am in mexico--yes, is gorgeous here. very enjoyable. folks are friendly--and my boat is improving weekly.
now to strengthen paws again so i can pull sheets and handle lines .....
i can tell you it is much better waiting here where foods are reasonably priced than it is to wait and fix in sd where everything is outrageously high in price. funny how stuff for 4-108 perkins engines is less expensive and more readily available here in mexico. have ha to do much work onmy engine i got used than i havehad to do on anything else onboard, as it leaked all oil out within 30 miles of ignition, and there were air leaks and such wonderful things ye dont find until the rocks are soooo close-- but i am out here living life. starter burned crispy just north of cedros island....lol gone --not rebuildable....is alll goood---i know where to find them in mexico for only a small fraction of usa pricing.

" we are all wannabes in some sense or another"

Exactly. I bet there's always another adventure waiting for you. Be bold, be brave, and get out there.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 16:45   #97
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009 View Post
I completely agree.

In my post I had written a long entry about disliking the term "wannabe", but deleted it, because I figured I was the only one. Now that you've raised the topic, I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

To me a wannabe is the same as a poser: Posing to be something you're not. In this case someone who dreams of, or wants to become a blue water cruiser. Just because that dream doesn't materialize, it doesn't make you a wannabe.

Most people here aren't wannabes. People here share a dream or a passion and branding people this or that is uncool.

When I posted here, I decided to interpret this thread as meaning people that came on the forum, but either did or didn't go through with their plans and people could write their stories.

I agree with you. Being called a "wannabe" is never really a compliment, although I don't know that the OP meant it to be that way. I really prefer "newbie."

Here's what I found as the first entry in a Google search:

"
  1. wan·na·be/ˈwänəbē/

Noun:derogatory. A person who tries to be like someone else or to fit in with a particular group of people: "a star-struck wannabe".More info »Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary"
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 16:49   #98
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

be happy--life is good...also makes folks wonder ....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 16:51   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I agree with you. Being called a "wannabe" is never really a compliment, although I don't know that the OP meant it to be that way. I really prefer "newbie."

Here's what I found as the first entry in a Google search:

"
  1. wan·na·be/ˈwänəbē/

Noun:derogatory. A person who tries to be like someone else or to fit in with a particular group of people: "a star-struck wannabe".More info »Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary"
a lot of stuff is lost in translation,best is maybe to check out kevins interpretation of the misinterpretation of cultural differences!

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 16:53   #100

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

Not sure I am a wannabe in the context of this thread. I don't think I ever made any grandiose claims. Anyhow, here is the report...

To recap, 2011 cancer, Belleville hospital looking out on Quinte at the yachts, wanna go sailing.

Ask a few questions here, buy and read most of a 2 lineal foot nautical library. Joined BQYC. Got CYA basic cruiser in the summer. Wanted a bigish boat, settled on a 32 footer (if it survives survey etc).

Should be changing out gate valves and rebedding ports next spring. Hoping to not have to play to vigorously with the engine.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 17:18   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This is why I've stopped telling people my plans... nothing goes as planned!

I'm a wannabe, and I'm damn proud of it. There's a lot of things I wanna be, a lot of things I wanna do, and a lot of places I wanna go. If I get to the point of not being a wannabe/do/go, that'll be sad.

I learned long ago to not have plans, instead I have a direction, and everyday I head in that direction.

You can't steer a car that's not moving..
Quite right about plans. One of the best pieces of advice I've heard about sailing is never say you are going to X (that being some particular destination) always say you are heading toward X. If you get there that's fine. But, don't be afraid to change your plans along the way for whatever reason. Get rid of the gotta, gotta, gotta and the things seem to still work out fine.
Old 23-09-2012, 17:19   #102

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I joined awhile ago to ask questions about leaving to go cruising and learned a ton. I still have a lot to learn, but we left in July and are now in the Chesapeake Bay (Frog Morton Creek) right now typing this. This wannabe is out doing it!
Old 23-09-2012, 18:33   #103

Boat: Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
So sorry for your pain. The survey, was from a licensed member of a state certified marine survey company? You have a written survey that says it passed when it did not? That is actionable on several levels. That would not be a time to just pass it off like getting a bad window seat on a tour bus circling Graceland. Get a junkyard dog attorney that barks, snaps and salivates and go after all these people, including previous owners.

The first 32 I purchased was beyond rough and the only walk through, my wife did. That turned out to be only good enough to parts for a later purchase that I got a survey for. The first boat was so cheep I came out way ahead anyway, trailer alone was worth more than I payed for boat and trailer.

Again, sorry for your misfortune. Life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
I paid 13k for mine(Alberg 30, fair price considering the cockpit floor had been cut out, and put back in badly, and the many cosmetic issues, assuming the care that was supposed to have gone into the major systems had actually happened, rather than damaging everything they touched right down to the tiller head). I had some sad learning to do about what a survey is actually expected to cover legally, I won't recommend them again, and I've asked them for my money back, not much else I can do based on the caveats in the survey and the hassle involved. Found the owner on CF ironically who may have done many of the "upgrades", based on pictures of the ad he bought it from, and the timing of the dates on some of the parts in there. Amazing what the internet will turn up with keywords.

I had planned to anchor out, learn to sail her while looking for slips for the winter. With the immediate repairs required, I shelled out for a slip right away as I started to find them, that sunk another 8000$ for the year(min 1 year lease paid in full).

I'm making a go of it, the OP's question was why aren't there more posts from us wannabes, and there's my answer, too busy going broke getting her safe and liveable to be able to post stories of going anywhere. I'll try to get some of the repair stories, but that'll take at least another 6 months to really get sorted to the point I can afford the time for that.

The lemonade is that I'm learning a lot, both about doing my own work, and about what to pay someone skilled to do, and that the next person who gets my boat will have a safe, reliable and cared for boat that is ready to go.
The learning will carry over to my next boat which is good. Better to get screwed out of a year's pay rather than 5 or 10 years pay at least.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 18:50   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
Bought a much smaller boat than planned, on the good advice of many. <snip>

In the end it turned out the seller was either lying or clueless, the surveyor likewise.
<snip>

I ended up staying on land, working double full time jobs to try and keep afloat financially. Haven't had a single day off since April, a lot of days I'm at my first job at 8:30 am, at about 3 I leave to start my night shift.
If I have an evening or some daytime off I work on her.

<snip>

Maybe that makes me a wanna be. Mostly it just makes me a bit sad. Sure would have been nice to buy an honest boat and spend some time on the water.
Tough story and sorry for you troubles. Not to make an example of you but there are often underestimations of what it takes to get a boat going on a budget - and everyone is on a budget - you apparently got misled by some people.

The risk of buying a boat early in the adventure is one does not really know what to look for. There are bad sellers, brokers and surveyors. Having time on OPB (other people's boats) allows one to see what breaks, what is good and what is bad.

Unless one has deep pockets a big part of this hobby is fixing boats (sometimes in exotic locations) -

Part of buying small is that the errors are cheaper to recover from. My 26 foot boat has been a 5 year learning experience in boat maintenance, sailing and boat costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I am a full on Wannabee, I wanna be on my boat sailing to the Kimberlys, 6000 miles away.

<snip>

But I wannabe on my boat and sailing, Sitting here waiting is driving me nuts,
I have absolutely no problem with the wannabe monniker.

I am a wannabe retiree/cruiser. At some point I may graduate to gonnabe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Been stuck here in the boatyard at Herrington Harbor in Deale Md for a year, the whole time telling family and friends "she'll be in the water any day now.". When planning this adventure I completely forgot that I wasn't in my twenties anymore and wasn't willing to work in 100 degree, boatyard heat all summer.
This is a big deal. I work all week and it is so easy on the weekends to get up late and fart around.

My dad would always get up at 6am on Saturday and Sunday. I asked him why he didn't chill. He'd say, "I get up every day for the bastards. I get up on the weekend for me."

It is brutally hot here from around 2pm till 5pm. I have settled into an 8am start and a 2pm knockoff time. Saturday with people coming I am motivated to get going. Sunday I was drinking my morning coffee getting carried away with CF threads and almost delayed going. I finally launched about an hour late and got 5 hours in.

Getting started is key for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Wannabee is some one who has a dream, some put it into action, some dont, For what ever reason,

Most Wannabee's at least try.

Poser, The only way I can describe that is in the following.

A person buys a motor bike and all the matching gear and accessorys,
Rides it to the local coffee shop or pub and back home again, But only on bright sunny days,
They do not ride the bike any where else,
So we need to collect the definitions.

Wannabe - Doing something but wants to be doing something else. I wannabe retired and I wannabe cruising on a cat. Right now I am a day/coastal/racing sailor with a small boat learning tons everyday.
Poser - Buys the gear looks right. Maybe in our world buys a great new boat, a silly captain hat and mixes margaritas at the dock - never sails
Newbie - First timer. There are many folks that show up here that are not newbies. They sailed or boated in a previous life and are getting back into it. Maybe new to internet or CF but not to boats. A newbie can be a wannabe.

I think we need a couple of new definitions so we can offend more people - LOL

Gonnabe - Advanced far enough in current plans to have a shot at it. Making forward progress. Right now I am a boat repairman (Relax Lah is on the hard) but I am making forward progress - in a few weeks I am gonnabe a sailor.
wontbe - This is the rude one. Most of us who have been here a while can spot the wontbes. I won't go any further with this other than to say they really have their heads in the clouds and really don't take any advice well. I don't spend much time on those threads. Predominantly characterized by a first post with outrageous plans. Absolutely nothing wrong with first posts or low post counts. We all started with one.

Don't know how I am doing on the catamaran cruising plan - maybe still a wannabe. Hope I am not a wontbe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greercrawley View Post
Perhaps it just takes some wannabees a longer "wanna" before they "be". After months of procrastination, I completed my ASA 101 (Basic Keelboat) certification yesterday. Next up, Coastal Navigation. I shall BE someday.

A dream only becomes unreachable when it is given up.
See - I think you are a gonnabe. Making forward progress...

Quote:
Great thread Atoll. Just the right amount of controversy to keep the heat on.

Observations so far. It is still about money and time. Time is absolutely the most precious commodity. Every time I sit on the couch now and flip on the tube I ask myself if this is the best use of my time.

OTOH - an Aussie buddy said this weekend something like, "Everyone needs some staring at the fire time." - I forget the exact quote but it sounded very "Aboriginal sitting around the fire talking to the moon" type of statement.

We all need to veg out sometimes. CF is sorta like veggin out for me...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 19:58   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Great thread Atoll. Just the right amount of controversy to keep the heat on.

Observations so far. It is still about money and time. Time is absolutely the most precious commodity. Every time I sit on the couch now and flip on the tube I ask myself if this is the best use of my time.

OTOH - an Aussie buddy said this weekend something like, "Everyone needs some staring at the fire time." - I forget the exact quote but it sounded very "Aboriginal sitting around the fire talking to the moon" type of statement.

We all need to veg out sometimes. CF is sorta like veggin out for me...
Ex Calif.

I think your friend is right on the mark. Staring is good. I do a lot of it on the boat and it clears the mind and helps me come up with some good ideas and plans. Staring on the boat IMO is much better for you than staring at a TV anyday. You notice a lot of what is going on in your natural surroundings too. I would encourage those who have plans to take off and sail get the the boat ASAP even though you may not be able take off right away or even in a few years some staring time and working on the boat in the meantime is not such a bad way to use ones time while waiting to follow your dream.