Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 16:01   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: The 2013 HaHa is threading a needle this time around

cs--when i came south i went between cedros and mainland, as in heavy seas it is a lot safer in there. i had local knowledge and it makes sense. with a wind from south it wouldnt be fun,. but there are anchorages on cedros..
i drifted a bit out there with a dead starter until we were able to enter cedros island village on a light breeze and tie to wharf until repaired. watch for tug n tow as salt plant is there with active traffic.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 16:10   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
That looks BAD! What weather sight did you get that satellite imagery from?
It's intellicast.com, look at infrared satellite, different regions available viseable too of course
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 16:33   #48

Boat: Mikelson SF 50

I've done the HaHa and sailed south 2 other times. The HaHa was very fun for our first time into Mexico and, while crowded at times, provided a degree of security. We also met a bunch of people who we've seen all along the west coast and enjoy coming across now and them. It was a very good time and lots of great memories. My next trip was a fast one - 4 days to San Jose del Cabo from San Diego. While it was a fun sail not getting into some of the anchorages along the way was disappointing. My final trip took close to 3 weeks from Ensenada to Puerto las Cabos with stops in 10 different places (only 2 over night crossings). This trip was by far our most favorite and it gave the added advantage of establishing a good set of tracks to visit for the northbound passage since the weather prevented us from going direct to San Deigo (21 days from La Paz to Ensenada on the heels of Hurricane Erik). Will be heading back in 2016 - maybe on the HaHa or maybe not....
MissTeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 21:10   #49

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
cs--when i came south i went between cedros and mainland, as in heavy seas it is a lot safer in there. i had local knowledge and it makes sense. with a wind from south it wouldnt be fun,. but there are anchorages on cedros..
i drifted a bit out there with a dead starter until we were able to enter cedros island village on a light breeze and tie to wharf until repaired. watch for tug n tow as salt plant is there with active traffic.
Yup...I was privy to the deal on tugs barging salt.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote