Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2019, 07:12   #1

Tallest part of a ship

Hi,

Apologies in advance for the possibly dumb question...

I'm doing some research about Houston harbour (it's a project to do with flying) and I need to know height (above waterline) of the tallest part of various ships. I have some info about the various types of ships that frequent Houston harbour, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out the height (above the waterline) of the ships' highest point (I'm assuming it's a mast or antenna)

Would be very glad to get any advice :-)

Thanks in advance

D.
dand99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 07:18   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Tallest part of a ship

I don't have enough information. There are various ways of measuring height, and every ship captain knows what his is - it's even on a plaque near the bridge, if my memory is right.

If you want an average, or some examples coming in and out of Houston, get in touch with the Houston ship pilots. They bring them in and out, and might be able to help you.

I do have a brother-in-law who is a ship pilot at Corpus Christi Aransus Pass. I'll ask him or put you in touch if it would help.
Old 20-08-2019, 23:59   #3

Thanks for the reply !

I made a little bit of progress - there's a bridge ships have to pass under in order to access the waterway - 54m is the clearance height.

What I have to find out now is whether ships take down any tall structure in order to make clearance - is it routine to fold/retract antennae, for example, to make clearance.

If you could pass the question on to your brother-in-law (or put me in touch with him - or perhaps the answer is obvious to anyone with any shipping know-how...) that would be useful, thank you !

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
I don't have enough information. There are various ways of measuring height, and every ship captain knows what his is - it's even on a plaque near the bridge, if my memory is right.

If you want an average, or some examples coming in and out of Houston, get in touch with the Houston ship pilots. They bring them in and out, and might be able to help you.

I do have a brother-in-law who is a ship pilot at Corpus Christi Aransus Pass. I'll ask him or put you in touch if it would help.
Old 21-08-2019, 00:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Some of the aircraft carriers had a mast that could be tipped over the flight deck to clear the Golden Gate Bridge in SF.

Most commercial ships are built to known clearances and don't lower items to clear bridges except in special cases. Loaded or in ballast, they know their height above the water. The ship is responsible for damage to the bridge.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 01:00   #5

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Certainly some ships that sail under Sydney Harbour Bridge have to drop aerials to fit under. It is not uncommon for this to happen.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 08:10   #6

Boat: Hunter 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand99 View Post
Hi,

Apologies in advance for the possibly dumb question...

I'm doing some research about Houston harbour (it's a project to do with flying) and I need to know height (above waterline) of the tallest part of various ships. I have some info about the various types of ships that frequent Houston harbour, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out the height (above the waterline) of the ships' highest point (I'm assuming it's a mast or antenna)

Would be very glad to get any advice :-)

Thanks in advance

D.

Every ship is a little different but all have varying draught's, both air and water, depending on load out. Most ships will have a known will have a known air draught for a given water draught. You're best bet is to research the clearance allowed at various tide levels for a given bridge as that will a known variable.
Old 22-08-2019, 04:08   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, dand.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 22:29   #8

Thank you for all the replies !