Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 10:12   #361

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Spouse hates my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
Don't count on being washed up and sell out. I am 53 year old sailor that only gave up my boat because I had to make choices on where I was going to live. Maybe get another one later.Moved to Mexico.
The worst time in life for me was when I realized I was with the wrong mate for this time period in my life. Best mate to raise children but after they were grown we shared no interest. He wanted to continue to work and I wanted to travel. Worked for children, house, college, now was our time and he didn't show up for it. Not angry, it was sad that we had nothing in common but children after 26 years.
Now traveling by RV in summer, living in Mexico for winter and sailing as crew. This is not washed up!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Lorrie, that's perfect. What you describe is the same for me and my boyfriend in our former marriages. Wanting different things is a perfect reason to go your own way. There is nothing "selfish" about freeing another to pursue their own dreams without conflict. Hope to meet you in Mexico one day.
Old 16-10-2016, 15:56   #362

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Sea Dreaming
Let me know when you make it to Mexico. I love Banderas Bay!

lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 17:00   #363

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Cut this gash loose, giver her, 1/2, the house, and go live your life.

Her actions are selfish, self serving, I'm guessing this gigs over, sooner rather then later anyway.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 18:35   #364

Boat: wanting a cat

beer is good, God is great, and people are crazy...

There are a lot of beautiful Women on this planet, inside and outside, my retirement plan is to find the one that has the most of both...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:00   #365

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat

I'm a woman.

My husband and I spent the last three and a half years rebuilding and outfitting our boat for cruising.

I say get rid of YOUR WIFE. NOT your BOAT.

Hope to see you out there some day with your bristol rebuilt boat. What a shame to let HER GO!

Fair Winds,
Octopussy

Follow the adventure at: S/V Octopussy
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:13   #366

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
I'm a woman.

My husband and I spent the last three and a half years rebuilding and outfitting our boat for cruising.

I say get rid of YOUR WIFE. NOT your BOAT.

Hope to see you out there some day with your bristol rebuilt boat. What a shame to let HER GO!

Fair Winds,
Octopussy

Follow the adventure at: S/V Octopussy
I know you're married, but I still love you!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:30   #367

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
My wife read your post and suggested you keep the boat and put your wife on the market!
Exactly the same advice we gave a friend 25 years ago--''you can always get a new woman, but that's a really nice boat". It took him 6 months to get a new woman, and he is still happy.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:48   #368

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Cut this gash loose, giver her, 1/2, the house, and go live your life.

Her actions are selfish, self serving, I'm guessing this gigs over, sooner rather then later anyway.

Dirk
Cut the what loose! Geez!...you running for Prez?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:54   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
Don't count on being washed up and sell out. I am 53 year old sailor that only gave up my boat because I had to make choices on where I was going to live. Maybe get another one later.Moved to Mexico.
The worst time in life for me was when I realized I was with the wrong mate for this time period in my life. Best mate to raise children but after they were grown we shared no interest. He wanted to continue to work and I wanted to travel. Worked for children, house, college, now was our time and he didn't show up for it. Not angry, it was sad that we had nothing in common but children after 26 years.
Now traveling by RV in summer, living in Mexico for winter and sailing as crew. This is not washed up!

Yup...life's funny that way. Too many times I've seen the M or the F get so entrenched in the groove of giving, working and sacrifice, they forget the original goal to slow down and make time for themselves.
Like most here, I'm later in life and only have fun crew with me who want to hang out as long as the feel it's fun for them. I've seen reluctant spouses do the dream and have it end in misery. Usually in the forum of a break-up.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 16-10-2016, 22:49   #370

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
beer is good, God is great, and people are crazy...

There are a lot of beautiful Women on this planet, inside and outside, my retirement plan is to find the one that has the most of both...

meatservo

Good Plan!
No Pretenders

lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 23:12   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscout View Post
Ok, I stirred up quite a lively debate. I overreacted and made a stupid post. All is well that ends well so this thread needs to come to a close. Love your wife as I do mine and work it out.
So, this is one of the last posts this guy made. It was over a year ago. He hasn't made a post since 2015. I wonder what he decided to do?
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 07:42   #372
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok it has been a year and half since op wrote his tale of woe--- what i wanna know is--

1) didja find a new boat yet or did you pull your s from market yet

2) did you get your divorce yet

3)update.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:33   #373

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

CS, gash is a term I hooked onto in the Navy. Admittedly it's not very flattering. It's up their with Snapper. Only used in the locker room and when being descriptive.

Ive never been very politically correct, I view that disease as contributing to what's ailing our world. If a person has something to say, say it. Don't beat around the bush.

FWIW, married 35 years, to a short blonde Swedish american, 5.4 110, she has no problems standing her ground either. In fact she's been heard using rather descriptive language herself, generally regarding me, from time to time.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:41   #374

Uhmm... Perhaps it might help the odd person to know that "gash" IN THE NAVY means "waste material", "surplus material", "poor quality material" or simply "waste" as in the term "gash bucket"

How the term is used in American street speech is quite familiar to most of us, which is why we don't use it. EXCEPT when the context makes it clear that we are using it in the RN sense.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:49   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
CS, gash is a term I hooked onto in the Navy. Admittedly it's not very flattering. It's up their with Snapper. Only used in the locker room and when being descriptive.

Ive never been very politically correct, I view that disease as contributing to what's ailing our world. If a person has something to say, say it. Don't beat around the bush.

FWIW, married 35 years, to a short blonde Swedish american, 5.4 110, she has no problems standing her ground either. In fact she's been heard using rather descriptive language herself, generally regarding me, from time to time.

Dirk
Sorry but there is little political correctness about knowing right from wrong in terms of degrading women or men with derogatory comments of describing a person by reducing them to a slang body part. As if that's is the only worth they have to you. If you and your wife use certain language around your house, I suppose that is your prerogative. But there is a mixed crowd here. Not everyone thinks as you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Uhmm... Perhaps it might help the odd person to know that "gash" IN THE NAVY means "waste material", "surplus material", "poor quality material" or simply "waste" as in the term "gash bucket"

How the term is used in American street speech is quite familiar to most of us, which is why we don't use it. EXCEPT when the context makes it clear that we are using it in the RN sense.

TrentePieds
I think from the aforementioned post, that was not the meaning and I think you know that.