Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2012, 22:05   #151
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Reply from DNR re: Guns on Boats in MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
So - can we carry flame throwers? Doesn't seem to fit the listed jprohibitions for guns

Well, since we're on flame throwers already...

Old 23-01-2012, 22:43   #152
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
A flame thrower is a NFA class weapon called AOW (any other weapon) in US law.

Private citizens can legally own this weapon by submitting an application to the BATFE and passing a background check, plus a $200 dollar fee.

This allows ownership at home and transportation to and from a range or shooting event. Of course, this is all about collectables, history, exhibition, hobby activity, etc.

Might be a little bit of a stretch to suggest it could be carried on board a sailing vessel however.

I suspect you know this already.
Relics..LOL
Old 24-01-2012, 00:36   #153

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
There are many secure hiding places on my boat that would be very difficul for anyone who does not know the vessel to find. What do you think chances on a random stop that the Federales would tear the boat to pieces looking for a firearm?
If you search the archives, you will find some real horror stories about U.S. cruisers caught with guns in Mexico. Believe me, you do not want to do it. The stories -- real stories which happened to CF members -- will make your hair stand on end.

Besides the risk of getting caught, what would you do if you had an opportunity to use it? I don't believe that self-defense will keep you out of prison -- possibly for the rest of your life -- if you hurt or, God forbid, kill someone with an illegal firearm, even if it was a criminal.
Old 24-01-2012, 13:23   #154

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
My point is I was merely countering the post that said teh US could operate in foreign waters, Yes they can but only legally by agreement and such agreements are usually forthcoming and tend to get fixed up by the revelant diplomatic staff. but they cannot act without such agreement ( of course illegal or covert operations aside).

dave

Tell ya what, go sail to another country, park next to a US Navy ship, and Break a US law that doesn't exist in the country you are visiting, and let us know how it turns out.

PS don't forget to tell the Naval officers they can't arrest you without permission.
Old 24-01-2012, 13:32   #155

As far as I know the US is the only country that has tried to impose it's laws outside it's borders, (IE arresting a Dutch citizen in New Zealand for US copywrite law violation).

But there are over a dozen recent cases, (Gord can google the long list), of US citizens arrested in other countries, and in foreign waters for crimes that are only illegal in the US.

The courts upheld their convictions, and forced repatriations. Committing the "crime" in a sovereign state that such activity was legal was held as NO DEFENCE.

If you break a law in another country, that is legal in the US, like eating pork on a holy day, then local authorities may arrest you, and unless you can escape the country the US law will be of no help.
Old 24-01-2012, 13:35   #156
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Please have a look back at post #1 of this thread.

This is not about the US Navy in some out of the way country. This is specifically about the state of Maryland and guns on board.

I appreciate the civility that has been shown (unusual for a gun thread) but can we get it back to the thread topic?

Thank you.
Old 24-01-2012, 13:52   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Please have a look back at post #1 of this thread.

This is not about the US Navy in some out of the way country. This is specifically about the state of Maryland and guns on board.

I appreciate the civility that has been shown (unusual for a gun thread) but can we get it back to the thread topic?

Thank you.
OOOPS! Sorry

The Constitution of Maryland contains no provision protecting the right to keep and bear arms. The State preempts some local firearm regulations, though local governments may regulate firearms with respect to minors and areas of public assembly. Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Montgomery County, Gaithersburg, and Baltimore are known to have local firearm regulations.[1][2][3]
The Maryland State Police maintain a registry of "regulated firearms" that are allowed to be sold within the state. Dealers must forward the manufacturer-included shell casing in its sealed container to the Department of State Police Crime Laboratory upon sale, rental, or transfer of a "regulated firearm" for inclusion in their ballistics database, known as the Integrated Ballistics Identification System (IBIS

I would recomend staying 12 miles offshore.

Several people have been arrested recently for having firearms legally checked in their locked luggage from a legal gun state while traveling to another legal gun state, when their flight was redirected through a airport in a no gun jurisdiction. Other arrestes have happened in a harbor in these states.

Better come on down here to Texas,you are welcome here.
Old 25-01-2012, 18:54   #158
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Tell ya what, go sail to another country, park next to a US Navy ship, and Break a US law that doesn't exist in the country you are visiting, and let us know how it turns out.

PS don't forget to tell the Naval officers they can't arrest you without permission.
Amen Fellow Brother...DVC
Old 25-01-2012, 18:58   #159
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
As far as I know the US is the only country that has tried to impose it's laws outside it's borders, (IE arresting a Dutch citizen in New Zealand for US copywrite law violation).

But there are over a dozen recent cases, (Gord can google the long list), of US citizens arrested in other countries, and in foreign waters for crimes that are only illegal in the US.

The courts upheld their convictions, and forced repatriations. Committing the "crime" in a sovereign state that such activity was legal was held as NO DEFENCE.

If you break a law in another country, that is legal in the US, like eating pork on a holy day, then local authorities may arrest you, and unless you can escape the country the US law will be of no help.
The US citizan is subject to US law regardless wher he is..I like eating pigs ,they taste like chicken..LOL
Old 25-01-2012, 19:57   #160

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:

I'd rather salute and invite the captain to dinner. Parked next to them, no need for anything but a smile
Old 26-01-2012, 03:00   #161

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
By the way, it should be pointed out for anyone reading this from outside the USA that there is absolutely no need to carry guns onboard anywhere in the USA despite what you might watch on TV and read on these forums, and I would venture to guess that almost nobody does. They might be handy in the far north of Alaska or Canada in case a polar bear or a grizzly gets too curious when you're ashore, but that's about it.

You are right of course,,,,,nobody should have a gun to defend themselves, maybe we should change the 2nd amendment,,,,,,I am sure that nobody in any part of the US has had to use a gun for self defense on a boat. Get you head out of your a$$. Your personal opinion on were people should carry guns is yours. People have had there boats stolen from them while they were onboard and thrown overboard tied to the anchor. 2 murders off the coast of florida on a powerboat that was hijacked and taken to cuba.,,,Of course nobody should carry a gun to defend themselves,,, we have the police for that,,,the water police should arrive sometime after you call them, hopefully they are in your area. And yes i own guns and keep them in my house and onboard
Old 26-01-2012, 07:22   #162
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

This one has outlived its shelf life and has been closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, guns