Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2020, 15:45   #31

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Re: Permanent U.S. Phone Number for Two Factor Authentication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's in fact what I did for years, but the $3/month plan I believe is gone now, isn't it?
Not sure what's going on with them, see the link I posted. It's a different branding but still affiliated with T Mobile. I just changed back to the pay as you go plan last week before leaving the US at a T Mobile store. They said that my previous plan was no longer available, but a phone call to the home office and this is what they set me up with, with the same number. Credit card invoice showed the charge from T Mobile, so there's some connection. I have been fighting this problem for years and finally got something that worked. Next time in the US I will keep this plan and get an internet only plan for my hotspot to avoid risk of losing this plan.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 22:33   #32
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I'm a bit confused by people mentioning actual cellphone service providers, especially ones like Tracfone.

My understanding was the OP request was for a low monthly cost service for SMS texting

using a US-based number accepted by financial services for 2-factor authentication

that can be used **anywhere** in the world, using Internet data including just a WiFi connection if you have no cellphone tower service there.

OP please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, once you try getting that functionality with an actual SIM-card based "permanently international roaming" service provider, that is a **completely different** category, both costlier and more fragile wrt signal coverage, shifting roaming agreements etc.

And outfits like Tracfone certainly don't fit the bill.

Beside the obvious Google Fi, there are services like Truphone and Telna (KnowRoaming) and then , Piranha, Flexiroam, Gigsky, RedteaMobile etc

"eSIM" is a new development there but only certain phones support that.

In any case, plug these into Google for general info, then add site:howardforums.com to get details and comparisons.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:14   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I found a US phone service called Ting. After the completion of a 90 day wait to enable international roaming, I am supposed to be able to receive US text messages from my bank to the phone located in Europe.

I would live a lot longer without all these security hassles.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 19:52   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
US phone service called Ting
Read up for 30min or less, and you'll know more about Ting than 99% of their customers, prolly the CSRs too.

Sprint based MVNO?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ting...wardforums.com
Old 06-01-2020, 20:27   #35

Quote:
I do too, but you can't receive SMS's with it
Yes and No.

We have skype and can get SMS...but it's wonky. Sometimes they come thru right away and other times they come thru a week later.

Lots of sites have alternatives to SMS as an option. Other sites will refuse to use a non-cell number.

Unfortunately, we are not typical, so businesses largely don't care about fixing our problem.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 20:33   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormantx View Post

That looks excellent; $3/month and has international roaming. Hot tip!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 20:40   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I'm a bit confused by people mentioning actual cellphone service providers, especially ones like Tracfone.

My understanding was the OP request was for a low monthly cost service for SMS texting

using a US-based number accepted by financial services for 2-factor authentication

that can be used **anywhere** in the world, using Internet data including just a WiFi connection if you have no cellphone tower service there.

OP please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, once you try getting that functionality with an actual SIM-card based "permanently international roaming" service provider, that is a **completely different** category, both costlier and more fragile wrt signal coverage, shifting roaming agreements etc.

And outfits like Tracfone certainly don't fit the bill.

Beside the obvious Google Fi, there are services like Truphone and Telna (KnowRoaming) and then , Piranha, Flexiroam, Gigsky, RedteaMobile etc

"eSIM" is a new development there but only certain phones support that.

In any case, plug these into Google for general info, then add site:howardforums.com to get details and comparisons.

Well, an actual mobile phone SIM card would be fine as long as the annual cost isn't ridiculous. I do travel to the U.S. once or twice a year and do need service when I'm there, so this would kill two birds with one stone.

Or a SIP account which can receive SMS messages PROVIDED I can get a number which will be accepted by banks.

I note that I somehow managed to get PayPal to register my UK mobile phone number. I just got one of PayPal's surprise additional security checks yesterday. In the past, these would result in my account simply locking up . But this time I managed to get the code via my UK number.

I use Bank of America in the U.S. and I have one of their code generating cards for 2FA, but nevertheless they still want me to get an SMS from time to time.

I think I will not be able to get away from having a U.S. number, either real or virtual.

I'm trying to do as little banking in the U.S. as possible, and the Swedish and other European banks I use do NOT indeed use SMS for 2FA -- they give you handsets with key generators. But for nomads, TransferWise is the killer banking app -- absolutely brilliant, for anyone who hasn't tried it. This is just a dream come true for real nomads, especially if you have much FX operations to do. I've even got TransferWise debit cards.

But I own a portfolio of real estate in the U.S. so I can't get away completely from U.S. banks. I know I should sell it all and burn my passport, but . . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 06-01-2020, 21:33   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

You have a dual sim phone.
I have one Spanish vodaphone and one UK Three network sim card.

My Spanish sim is $80 pa, and my UK (main) is $250.

Should be easy to have US sim.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 21:50   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
You have a dual sim phone.
I have one Spanish vodaphone and one UK Three network sim card.

My Spanish sim is $80 pa, and my UK (main) is $250.

Should be easy to have US sim.

Well, the phone to keep it in is an entirely different issue. Sigh.

I have THREE different European numbers in three different countries. So one of them is always turned off and unreachable , and when I'm outside of Europe, like now, so have a local data SIM card in one of the slots, TWO are turned off and unreachable. It's a real PITA. I'm trying to get people to just call me on WhatsApp. But it's hard to drag people into the future. Even though calling between EU countries is now basically the same cost as calling in your own country, people are incredibly reluctant to use a non-local number, so I find that I have to maintain several local numbers, although it is a PITA. It would be nice to have a phone which had three SIM card slots.

Or fancy the thought -- a single mobile phone account which had different numbers in different countries which all rang onto the same SIM card. Wouldn't that be great. One of my IT guys has suggested setting up SIP numbers in different countries and forwarding them to my mobile through our office server, but that seems to me to be an awful lot of faff just because people won't use WhatsApp

The U.S. number is not really the main problem; I have my U.S. correspondents trained to not expect to reach me by phone. I just stick the SIM card in when I need to get an SMS for a bank or whatever.
Walt Whitman
Old 06-01-2020, 23:40   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Similar to you, I deal internationally. I have a "head office number" on SKYPE. I have a message thats informs to leave a call back number and states that the caller will be called back from the 'local' office to the international caller. I also have the SKYPE forwarded at times to the sim card I am currently using.

Its a pain, but a resend of the the SMS to the requisite sim card can facilitated if you know there is one waiting is helpful..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:25   #41
cruiser

Quote:
I have THREE different European numbers in three different countries. So one of them is always turned off and unreachable , and when I'm outside of Europe, like now, so have a local data SIM card in one of the slots, TWO are turned off and unreachable. It's a real PITA
Last I checked, Truphone was the answer for inbound via a stable number worldwide.

Not cheap as a daily driver, but brilliant for that problem.

Might even work as a US cell number for your OP request too, and very cheap to test it out.

Search HoFo for the latest, may be better alternatives now.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:25   #42
cruiser

https://www.onesimcard.com/SMS-verif...phone-numbers/

https://nomadlist.com/forum/t/how-to...veling/8773/25

https://hushed.com/
Old 08-01-2020, 19:16   #43

I got rid of two factor authentication . I found out the scammers steal your phone number then with that they can steal your identity and clean out your bank or even mortgage your house from under you. I suggest just depend on a ridiculous crazy long Password period.I read a whole page on how this scam works and it scared the hell out of me because it is so easy !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 20:08   #44
cruiser

For some institutions your only other choice would be closing your accounts
Old 10-01-2020, 06:41   #45

Boat: Aloha 32

I use Vyke to provide over a dozen permanent phone numbers (with SMS capability) that I use for my business. Numbers only cost a couple dollars a month and hours of use is only a few dollars per month. I have used it throughout the Caribean, USA, and Canada.
Works perfectly for my two-factor logins.
The VoIP client performs flawlessly on my iPhone, android and there is also a laptop clinet for it. Dirt cheap and reliable.
ChrisAndLenore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone