Old 29-10-2020, 18:13   #121
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Permanent U.S. Phone Number for Two Factor Authentication

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisboat View Post
s/v Jedi

Looking at Tello maybe it would work well for us. Do you primarily or exclusively use the phone outside the US using Wifi. Do you frequently get two factor texts over wifi. Do you also use it for voice on wifi. Do you basically keep the phone on airplane mode all the time.
We have a Caribbean phone plan that provides unlimited calling to the entire Caribbean, US and Canada but we could put this second sim in our phone and use Tello via wifi to replace our US Skype number and also get our two factor messages.
I don’t have Tello; we have Verizon. But yes, wifi calling all the time except when in the US. But our place in Florida has a bad Verizon signal and the phone automatically switches to wifi calling there as well.

==== the phone works like if you are in the US with 5 bars signal ====

Yes it means it works for voice and text. Not for data as that uses the direct wifi link.

I mean this feature... it has been around for many years and we’ve been using it all the time. Not all phones and not all providers can do it so check that. Google must know.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:48   #122

Through significant discussion with Tello they have confirmed they can not support 2FA internationally and that includes no texts at all through their wifi app designed to used internationally.

So the search continues.
chrisboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 13:30   #123
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisboat View Post
Through significant discussion with Tello they have confirmed they can not support 2FA internationally and that includes no texts at all through their wifi app designed to used internationally.

So the search continues.
Don’t know anything about their wifi app, I posted about wifi calling which works. Tello has no network, they just use Verizon, AT&T or whoever.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 21:31   #124

Boat: Outremer 50S

An interesting article today in Wired (https://www.wired.com/story/massive-...bank-accounts/) about theft from bank accounts using phone emulators to mimic authenticated devices and receive 2FA SMS. The takeaway:
Quote:
It would be nice if banks provided multi factor authentication through a medium other than SMS, but few financial institutions do.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 21:50   #125

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

The use of SMS as a secondary authentication method is so insecure it's not funny.

But unfortunately customers like simple and user friendly, and it would seem an SMS to their phone is considered simple and user friendly by many.

Quote:
It would be nice if banks provided multi factor authentication through a medium other than SMS, but few financial institutions do.
So I totally agree with this statement, even if it's just an option for the more security conscious users.

And that's without even getting into the convenience and safety factor of using a secondary authentication method such as Authy which is not linked to a phone number (or even a phone).

Cruisers need to be especially aware of these things since it's often just impossible to pop into a local branch office of the bank, government, etc, to sort things out when something goes wrong.

You could easily end up locked out of your accounts just when you need them the most.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 05:24   #126

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
The use of SMS as a secondary authentication method is so insecure it's not funny.

But unfortunately customers like simple and user friendly, and it would seem an SMS to their phone is considered simple and user friendly by many.

So I totally agree with this statement, even if it's just an option for the more security conscious users.

And that's without even getting into the convenience and safety factor of using a secondary authentication method such as Authy which is not linked to a phone number (or even a phone).

Cruisers need to be especially aware of these things since it's often just impossible to pop into a local branch office of the bank, government, etc, to sort things out when something goes wrong.

You could easily end up locked out of your accounts just when you need them the most.
Even though SMS protocol is not very secure, using it as a 2FA method does add an additional layer of security...because the logistics of spoofing that 2FA at just the right moment would still be complex.

I do use a couple of financial instutions who have apps to generate a key...maybe more secure, but who knows...depends on how they implemented.

Also, a couple who vary the delivery method between SMS, voice call, email. I think the mixing up of the delivery methods further complicates hacking the 2FA.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:36   #127

As I read through this thread, I decided to look at what I've had. I currently use Mint Mobile which is $180/year... no extra fees, taxes or any foolery. I send them a check and I'm good for a year. Services is great, based on T-mobile. It will allow me to call international but not use it out of the country.

Mint Mobile - T-mobile reseller
5G • 4G LTE DATA- 4GB/MO $15/MO
Unlimited talk & text Nationwide coverage, Uses 5G or 4G LTE, whichever is strongest
FREE CALLING TO MEXICO AND CANADA NOW INCLUDED! PLUS ENJOY SUPER-LOW RATES TO OVER 160 COUNTRIES WORLDWIDE.

Before Mint I had Consumer Cellular which is based on AT&T. A little more expensive but awesome coverage and I was able to use it in France, roaming.

Consumer Cellular AT&T reseller
$20/mo w 250 minutes talk, unlimited text, 500 MB data.
While fairly economical as US Cellphone services go, not a solution to this thread's issue.

What I am most curious about and have no experience with is the use of foreign banks. Does this make it any easier, harder, or put your money at risk?

I was looking into cruising finances a while back and ran across an article by Patrick Childress May 2019 from Where is Brickhouse. I miss his articles.

Finances When Cruising Around the World IMPORTANT UPDATE - Where is SV Brick House?

FINANCES WHEN CRUISING AROUND THE WORLD…AN IMPORTANT UPDATE regarding the “The 3 Most Valuable Sailing Tools We use Sailing Around the World” (Original article here)
I have made an update regarding Transferwise in this article…regarding when you sign up…and the phone number to use when signing up. Transferwise is one of the financial tools I recommend for managing your finances as you sail around the world. It is a way to quickly pay in a foreign currency without exposing your credit card to fraud as you pay foreign businesses for products for your sailboat as you travel. I have used it for years with great success, and many many other sailors have too.

You MUST choose a phone number you will always have when signing up for Transferwise. If you should forget your password, they will need to use your listed phone number to reset your password! (Otherwise there is a security concern!)

I use Google Voice for my round the world phone number…http://voice.google.com. It can receive texts and phone calls anywhere in the world. Skype hasn’t worked for texts for me. There are probably other products too, or if you keep you home cellular plan with roaming, or your same Satellite phone number that could maybe work too…but choose carefully! Google Voice for sure works and it’s free though you may need to put some small credit on it. I signed up 12+ years ago and have never put anymore money on it! But you MUST have access to a phone number in the US to initially set it up. I do not think a number on Skype will allow it, but possibly worth a try if you are not in the US, at a friends house or other. After the original setup, you do not need a US phone number anymore

Read original article about financial tools used on Brick House here: Original Article

StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:57   #128

Boat: Endeavour 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
As I read through this thread, I decided to look at what I've had. I currently use Mint Mobile which is $180/year... no extra fees, taxes or any foolery. I send them a check and I'm good for a year. Services is great, based on T-mobile. It will allow me to call international but not use it out of the country.

Mint Mobile - T-mobile reseller
5G • 4G LTE DATA- 4GB/MO $15/MO
Unlimited talk & text Nationwide coverage, Uses 5G or 4G LTE, whichever is strongest
FREE CALLING TO MEXICO AND CANADA NOW INCLUDED! PLUS ENJOY SUPER-LOW RATES TO OVER 160 COUNTRIES WORLDWIDE.

Before Mint I had Consumer Cellular which is based on AT&T. A little more expensive but awesome coverage and I was able to use it in France, roaming.

Consumer Cellular AT&T reseller
$20/mo w 250 minutes talk, unlimited text, 500 MB data.
While fairly economical as US Cellphone services go, not a solution to this thread's issue.

[/I]
there is only one draw back max speed 1.5 Mb/s not enough for hot spot on both those examples.
Only one that offer more is Verizon 50 Mb/s with 10Gb plan
ovidiunelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 04:08   #129

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedereds View Post
If you do not want to pay 35$ a month for a permanent phone number, I recommend you use a temporary phone number. These types of numbers are also eligible for the two-phase authentification. If you got interested in this option, you could get in touch with companies offering these services. For instance, I have once used the services of the guys from https://quackr.io/temporary-phone-number-generator,so I trust these guys. Mate, if there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to text me.
No need to pay $35/month. I pay $9.99 for a permanent TextNow number.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 04:14   #130
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sedereds.
Your link goes to a '404' message.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone