Congratulations!
Smart555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 14:04   #17
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Jammer finally gets a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
After some decades of a life filled with paddlecraft and power boats, I have finally purchased a sailboat. "Bridget," a Morgan 250 laid down in 1975, is a modest but well-found pocket cruiser that I anticipate sailing on Lake Pepin (part of the upper Mississippi), Lake Superior, and other area waters starting this spring.

I look forward to the journey.
you start looking for that second boat yet?
Old 09-01-2018, 14:14   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure!
Looks like a fine vessel...wishing you many happy days aboard!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 19:23   #19

Boat: Tartan 3800

Thank you all, so much, for all the replies. It truly warms my heart to read them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
you start looking for that second boat yet?
Second? I have a bunch of canoes, but maybe those don't count.

25' is small for a big boat, and big for a small boat. It's right for me right now, not just for learning, but because I have a number of places I want to explore that require a trailer launch. I brought her from the dealership to the storage yard today and while I was not uncomfortable on the road I was feeling all of the 5,000 pounds of displacement and was quite sure that the trailer weighs more than the 1,000 pounds the dealer supposed it weighed. I'll take her over the scales at some point. Glad I don't have anything larger.

Minnesota is a corner case for cruising. Lake Pepin is close by for me -- the largest lake on the Mississippi. I do expect that Lake City (on Pepin) will become my home port. Lake Superior is 212 miles over land from Lake City, or around 1000 miles via the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers and Lake Michigan. The Mississippi (and the St. Croix that is one of its tributaries) and Superior each have their share of cruisers, seasonal cruisers, and liveaboards. There is also excellent sailing in the hundreds of islands in Lake of the Woods, and in Lake Vermillion, and in hundreds of other smaller lakes each with its own geology and culture.

I anticipate that it will take me some years to tire of these local destinations. With time, yes, the occasion for a larger craft may arise, perhaps one better suited for offshore conditions and remote areas on Lake Superior, or, at some point, the coasts and beyond. There's plenty to do in the meantime.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 19:35   #20

Boat: Beneteau 321

Congrats! Looks like a great boat. I started sailing in fresh water lakes in Central Alberta in a Siren 17. Loved that little boat and it taught me a lot. These days we're in Victoria and sail the Pacific Northwest. Like ArmyDave I still miss those beautiful summer days on fresh water lakes. There's something to be said for diving off the bow into warm fresh water.
Enjoy!
Plangstraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 19:45   #21

Boat: Beneteau 321

Here's the boat. Spent many an hour doing fibreglass and paint work. Fond memories ....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1117.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	161887
Plangstraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:57   #22

Awesome! Starting out on that size boat is probably the way I should be headed as well.
shayski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:08   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Jammer finally gets a sailboat

Go Jammer..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 18:54   #24

Boat: Tartan 3800

Well, the price of freedom is eternal maintenance. Or something like that.

I have fixed more bearings, tires, and brakes than I care to remember and am going through that now with Bridget's trailer. Along with the flexibility of a trailer sailor comes running gear maintenance on the trailer I guess. The prior owner only used the trailer for winter storage and the brakes are completely shot. I'm going through and replacing the surge brakes with electric ones, which is cheaper and easier than fixing what's there.

Also I have completed the annual maintenance on the outboard for Bridget and dealt with an oily mess from it being transported on the wrong side (see other thread). Beyond that the low-speed circuit in the carburetor is clogged. I cleaned the jet, which was clearly clogged, and am now also going to have to fuss with the hidden low-speed mixture adjustment that is behind one of the little tiny metal covers in the photo.

And finally after pretty much deciding not to I bought a JW-10 outboard. In Minnesota used outboards are abundant, cheap, and usually in great shape due to the seasonal use pattern and the fact that all we have is fresh water. I picked up the JW-10 in the photo for $100. I have all the pieces, but tore it down for evaluation so I could order parts. Seller said it hadn't been in the water for 10 years and I believe it. Johnson started making these 3 HP two-strokes in the early 1950s and continued with only minor changes through about 1968. Parts are still available. The design is sound and differs from modern motors primarily in materials -- there's aluminum where plastic is used today. A complete set of ignition, cooling system, and fuel system parts, and gearcase seals, will set me back around $220 but I'll end up with a good motor for the canoe and (future) dinghy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bridget brake.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	167109   Click image for larger version

Name:	3hp johnson.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	167110  

Name:	bridget outboard.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	167111  
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 19:09   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

I have fixed more bearings, tires, and brakes than I care to remember and am going through that now with Bridget's trailer. Along with the flexibility of a trailer sailor comes running gear maintenance on the trailer I guess. The prior owner only used the trailer for winter storage and the brakes are completely shot. I'm going through and replacing the surge brakes with electric ones, which is cheaper and easier than fixing what's there.

Also I have completed the annual maintenance on the outboard for Bridget and dealt with an oily mess from it being transported on the wrong side (see other thread). Beyond that the low-speed circuit in the carburetor is clogged. I cleaned the jet, which was clearly clogged, and am now also going to have to fuss with the hidden low-speed mixture adjustment that is behind one of the little tiny metal covers in the photo.

And finally after pretty much deciding not to I bought a JW-10 outboard. In Minnesota used outboards are abundant, cheap, and usually in great shape due to the seasonal use pattern and the fact that all we have is fresh water. I picked up the JW-10 in the photo for $100. I have all the pieces, but tore it down for evaluation so I could order parts. Seller said it hadn't been in the water for 10 years and I believe it. Johnson started making these 3 HP two-strokes in the early 1950s and continued with only minor changes through about 1968. Parts are still available. The design is sound and differs from modern motors primarily in materials -- there's aluminum where plastic is used today. A complete set of ignition, cooling system, and fuel system parts, and gearcase seals, will set me back around $220 but I'll end up with a good motor for the canoe and (future) dinghy.
just remember to unplug the brakes before backing into the water. Electric brakes and sea water not a good mix.
Old 26-03-2018, 06:36   #26

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:

A Johnson started making these 3 HP two-strokes in the early 1950s and continued with only minor changes through about 1968. Parts are still available. The design is sound and differs from modern motors primarily in materials -- there's aluminum where plastic is used today.
I noticed the same thing about the older outboards. I now have three outboards (yes, I know I need help) and one of them is from the sixties. It's a four horse two stroke by Johnson I believe. The outside is ugly; it was painted olive green for use by a duck hunter. The inside looks like it just came from the factory and the parts are pretty robust. No plastic here! Oh yes, it's nice and light too. The good news is that a thief will look at the ugly motor and hopefully pass on it for a shiny new motor!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:19   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

I had one of those 3HPs in the 50s. The only problem I can recall was it took to intermittently missing on one cylinder. It was one coil arcing to the flywheel. since the coils are under the flywheel finding the problem is difficult. For what it is worth.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:30   #28

Very sweet!
shayski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:59   #29

I have an older, but not antique!, Merc 4 HP. Maybe late 80's. Has internal tank and F-R gear shift. It's indestructible and starts every spring with 2-3 pulls. Yesterday I got it out to test it as it's been sitting in the garage for 3-4 years. I have it for sale and a looker coming at noon today. I was pretty disappointed because it took me 5 pulls to get it running. :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat