Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 07:53   #286

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3
Re: Important things we don't talk about much

In my galley, I use one cast iron pan, a steel Mauviel pan, and one non-stick for omelettes. While I hate to use any pan that's destined to be thrown into the bin rather than passed down to grandchildren, for delicate foods, nothing is as good. Cook's Illustrated recommends the T-fal Professional pan and so do I; it's cheap and has the best non-stick coating.
I also highly recommend this two-sided colander from MOMA; it's on sale now: Two-Sided Colander | MoMA Store

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:02   #287

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Oh, I never heard of the southern thing either. My family is from New England and we have always had and used cast iron.

@Leo,
Cast iron that's properly seasoned and cared for correctly...(I.e. lightly scrubbed to get off only solid food, dried and oiled while hot) will be MORE non stick than Teflon non-stick pans. I can drop a cracked egg in my pans and they'll slide right around. When the pan looks gross and black but still shiny when dry...that's a properly cared for cast iron pan.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:59   #288

Boat: Island Packet 35

absolutely, cast iron, seasoned after each use will never let you down, dont wash with water if possible just wipe with oil. A friend who is a chef told me to ocasionally heat a cast iron pan with lots of oil in it and let it smoke for a several minutes to open up the metal . Then add 1/2 - 1 cup salt and spread around, this draws out the impurities. empty salt and keep whipping out with oil and paper towl until nice and classey looking, don't wash.
Try this, Turn your oven to 400, place your small cast iron skillet in for 5 minutes then lay your steak on it for 1-1/2 minutes, for both sides, best steak you could ever serve on board!
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:19   #289

You can use water, and even soap to clean cast iron...it's zealots that will tell you otherwise. A proper seasoning is tougher than what soap or water can do (not including dishwasher and detergent)

Clean it with soap and water, scrub very lightly to dislodge fron, put back on burner, wipe the water out and let get hot to drive out any residual water. Wipe down with oil and turn the heat off.

Don't smoke oil in the pan, you are burning your seasoning a little at a time when you do that and you'll find your seasoning flaking off now and again in your food if you do that.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:48   #290

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

The sun can be one of the most dangerous things a mariner faces. After a lifetime at sea, most of it without sunscreen, I am now paying the price dealing with cancer of the lower lip! Hoping that freezing the offending parts will work but if not, out come the knife and months, if not years, of disfigured and painful existence... Be careful out there! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:48   #291
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
Oh, I never heard of the southern thing either. My family is from New England and we have always had and used cast iron.

@Leo,
Cast iron that's properly seasoned and cared for correctly...(I.e. lightly scrubbed to get off only solid food, dried and oiled while hot) will be MORE non stick than Teflon non-stick pans. I can drop a cracked egg in my pans and they'll slide right around. When the pan looks gross and black but still shiny when dry...that's a properly cared for cast iron pan.
Sorry, though it was a Southern thing, down here we even bake in cast iron skillets, funny thing is they are cheap when compared to "better" utensils
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 14:07   #292
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Talking of cast iron, if you have the power to operate a microwave on board, you have enough for a small induction plate - and cast iron works great on them. Heats up in seconds to smoking hot and responds almost instantly to change in power settings.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 14:19   #293

Important things we don't talk about much

Increases yes, but cast iron is known for its heat retention properties.

My stove is a glass top induction stove. I really wish it was gas.

Oh nice thing about inductions plates though is that the seasoning on the bottom of the pan will never burn off if used normally. There is no air to allow anything to burn.
Old 08-10-2014, 17:10   #294
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLaDou View Post
Hi there, I really enjoyed my first visit to your forum, clearly you enjoy.

I would like to hear what people use for pots and pans in their galley. I plan to live aboard. Should I keep my nice cast iron? Will it rust?

You had me at coffee.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Welcome aboard BobbyLaDou!

You always have to consider the responses here carefully. Larger boats may carry more options - not a bad thing.

For my small boat space is an issue so things have to be dual purpose. I don't have a skillet per se. I have a 6 inch cast iron (short) pot that I use for frying and soups or stews.

I love cooking with cast iron too but only one cast iron pot. Copper bottom stainless is good for me as well. I have a "kettle" pot (has a spout and lid) that I can use for boiling water or boiling pasta. In fact I make one pot mac and cheese in it.

I like clear (glass type) lids so I can see what's going on without pulling the lid off - important when making rice dishes as venting rice befiore it's done can ruin it.

How to describe this? I only like handles that are overhead loops not the handles that stick out from the side of the pots. Easily knocked into.

I only cook for 2 (4 would be outlandish) so my pots are sized accordingly.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 18:11   #295

Capt Phil - Sorry to hear this ! I trust will not slow you down or inpinge upon your life.
Be well-these something we should discuss more often!
All the Best Capt Phil
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 14:22   #296
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Head Ettiquette or "Sit Your Tail on the Head"

When a boat is underway (heeled, encountering waves, pitching), it is a good idea for men who must visit the head to urinate to SIT on the toilet, even if they only need to urinate. Most newbies to boats don't know this, until it is too late and then the head compartment (and toilet/head) winds up splattered and sprayed as the stream of urine does an uncontrollable dance and misses its target as the boat heaves, pitches, and bumps along. After a few days underway, the head compartment can become rank and stinky due to the frequent misses by men. While a man's "target practice" is usually accurate (as they have practiced since they were little) with a stationary target (on land), it is a different matter when the target (the toilet) is moving simultaneously in three axes (the plural of axis is axes.) Unfortunately, old habits are hard to break.

Consequently I like to post a sign in the head and make its meaning crystal clear to my guests aboard: "When at sea, all sailors sit."

Or you might like to tell them:

"The head is where your tail goes when the boat goes."

IF you make this a clear understanding among your crew, it will help your boat smell better and stay cleaner during your voyage. This is appreciated by anyone who later visits the boat or the head.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 14:34   #297

Some guys can't vacate their bladder from a sitting position. I recommend pee-ing over the side.

The alternative if privacy or offense is an issue, pee in the shower stall and rinse it down.
Old 06-11-2014, 14:43   #298
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
Some guys can't vacate their bladder from a sitting position. I recommend pee-ing over the side.

The alternative if privacy or offense is an issue, pee in the shower stall and rinse it down.
Peeing over the side while underway?
For newbies aboard, you might want to tell them to make sure they do that over the leeward side. Nothing like a fresh breeze to put a little salty spray in the cockpit and on the crew.

Inside the head, a widemouthed plastic bottle (like a Gatorade 1/2 liter bottle) would be useful or handy if one cannot sit (perhaps due to wearing bibs or multiple layers of clothing/gear). The bottle can be immediately emptied in the head after filling and the head flushed.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 15:03   #299

Boat: Niagara 35

My guests all get the "when at sea, gentlemen sit to pee" talk as well.

I'm not sure I understand what medical condition would make it impossible for a guy to pee sitting down, but I guess they could use a bottle if they had to.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 15:06   #300

The most common cause would be an enlarged prostate

Tags
import