Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 09:41   #316

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Those propane heaters are not as affordable as the diesel ones to operate. We had a Dickinson and had to use it sparingly. Sometimes hard to refill if you are on the move.
And yes that tower etc will affect your performance...... it must. The boat will hobbyhorse in a decent seaway. Anchors and chain are best stowed near the base of the mast for the same reason.
Most people don't worry too much though. But on an offshore passage.... yes.
Shame about the tower. It's nice to row away from your boat and be in love. Except who rows anymore !!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:29   #317

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I don't own a Classic Plastic yet, but I admire them, and will likely have one in the future.

Here is a beautiful 1964 Rhodes Reliant I saw today. From the photos in the listing, it appears to have been given good care.

It is for sale. Check out the brightwork. Must love varnishing.

1964 Rhodes Reliant 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Bluestocking is a real Reliant, CL hull # 1583 launched July 1 1965, with the offset companionway as shown in the photo. The line drawing is Cheoy lee's royalty-dodger with the squared off rudder and c/line companionway.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:26   #318

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Thank you for the kind words regarding my Mistral.

(...)
Ha!

To know how she sails, just go sailing. A couple of weekends on the water, in calms, and in the rough weather, will tell you everything.

She sails like a dream. Way above and beyond many later HRs. She tacks very well, easily within 90 degs in flat water. She does not round running with big seas following you. Handling similar to Contessa 32, Waquiez 32, S&S 34, etc.

Her weak point, same as above designs, light winds reaching. This is so because for light wind beating the jib will be flat and preferably non overlapping. Once you bear off, her SA in this config is too little to keep her at pace. This gets sorted out with either drop of the jib and hoist of a light max genoa. And downwind in light airs only a kite will help. An easy job with any modern spinnaker. So, in light winds, she becomes a handful.

Let me tell you this: my sailing friends got richer over time and their last HR was a 46 by Frers. Now, thru all these years they held on to their old Mistral, and it was the wife who always voted against selling that boat. She just wanted something swift and nimble for the summers in the West Coast archipelago, as she said: a boat where you can reach out and touch water.

Ha! And this is her main sin ;-) the cockpit is low and you are very exposed, you will touch water ;-) maybe more than you like.

As for mods: a new friend of mine has a Fairlie boat. This is a pure wooden classic boat, brand new. So there you get all classic lines and bronze fittings ... and a carbon spars, rod rigging, Harken furlers and B&G auto pilots. Frankly, new technology complements rather than detracts from a classic. Just think about what panels, where and how to mount, consider the shape of that dodger, make sure its colour fits with the wood, etc.

If I had a classic, I would keep her ultra-modern - Spectra, carbon and LED.

Have fun. You have a beautiful and seaworthy boat. Enjoy.

Cheers,
b.

image attribution: Hallberg-Rassy 33 - Mistral
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mistral.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	132168  
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 13:15   #319

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

O wow, awesome. Agree just go sail,,got the motor out "4-108m" for rebuild. Im just finishing the motor, awaiting a couple critical parts I thought would come in seal or gasket kits. Should be here mis next week.

This motor rebuild journey has been bitter sweet. I lacked confidence to tackle the project myself. Approached a friend who is a fantastic mechanic, to " teach me" I've done all the work, under his input.

The 5 day job is going on like day 30/35, which is really a long time. The up,side is this. I had hoped to learn the motor, which is happening. I would not have any issues now addressing any motor related issues, short of catastrophic failure.

My goal is to finish and test run the motor on the stand this week. Then transport the motor back to the boat, hire the crane and drop the motor back into the boat.

As for ultra modern boat furnature, I'm a common man, a retired police officer, with a decent retirement. Newest of new sails are not in the script, although I did purchase a new main sail,,which is alleged to be here this week.

The fore sails are in pretty good shape, with three head sails coming with the boat. One jib, one Genoa, and I think the third is a genniker ?. The boat also,came with a spinnaker in really decent shape.

I will upgrade as needed. The boat has an early Swedish alcohol stove that is mint condition, I'd like to keep it, but realize it's likely not a very efficient set up. Likely going propane. The refrigerator kicks and knocks like a mule but is working.

I just can't afford to spend tens of thousands on this one boat. I've also got a Hunter 25, for cruising on the local lake and a Santana 20 for perf racing on the local lake. Those boats need some love from time to time.

Thank you for the kind words. I promise I'll be sailing the mistral by Christmas,

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 16:31   #320

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1924 View Post
In the spirit of upgrading my oldy but goody, I thought there might be some interest in some of my DIY Septuagenarian changes to my boat:

1. raised the the rails to 36" from the cockpit forward and added a 24" intermediate railing my balance is not what it once was.
2. added a 36" rail to the trunk cabin.
3. added a mast pulpit.
4. added a "stack pack" and lazy jacks at both main and mizzen.
5. added a water deployable boarding ladder to the rail, it extends 4 steps 36" into the water.
6. added a step to the access ladder at the stern to get aboard from the dinghy at the davits, my hips don't stretch the way they used to.
7. added fins to the diesel heater pipe to distribute heat better, achy joints.
8. added a salt water wash down pump, tired of those buckets.
9. working on adding a capstan with wildcat.

I apologize for the rotated pictures they don't show that way on my computer.
Geez, she's a beauty!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 16:39   #321

Quote:
O wow, awesome. Agree just go sail,,got the motor out "4-108m" for rebuild. Im just finishing the motor, awaiting a couple critical parts I thought would come in seal or gasket kits. Should be here mis next week.

This motor rebuild journey has been bitter sweet. I lacked confidence to tackle the project myself. Approached a friend who is a fantastic mechanic, to " teach me" I've done all the work, under his input.

The 5 day job is going on like day 30/35, which is really a long time. The up,side is this. I had hoped to learn the motor, which is happening. I would not have any issues now addressing any motor related issues, short of catastrophic failure.

My goal is to finish and test run the motor on the stand this week. Then transport the motor back to the boat, hire the crane and drop the motor back into the boat.

As for ultra modern boat furnature, I'm a common man, a retired police officer, with a decent retirement. Newest of new sails are not in the script, although I did purchase a new main sail,,which is alleged to be here this week.

The fore sails are in pretty good shape, with three head sails coming with the boat. One jib, one Genoa, and I think the third is a genniker ?. The boat also,came with a spinnaker in really decent shape.

I will upgrade as needed. The boat has an early Swedish alcohol stove that is mint condition, I'd like to keep it, but realize it's likely not a very efficient set up. Likely going propane. The refrigerator kicks and knocks like a mule but is working.

I just can't afford to spend tens of thousands on this one boat. I've also got a Hunter 25, for cruising on the local lake and a Santana 20 for perf racing on the local lake. Those boats need some love from time to time.

Thank you for the kind words. I promise I'll be sailing the mistral by Christmas,

Dirk
Don't give up on the alcohol stove yet! Give it a try, you may find its fine. Alcohol is cheap and safe. I think you'll find being close to the water is worth the occasional splash. My boat is also low to the water and we can reach out or drag our feet when heeled over (kids love that.) It also makes other propulsion options (like oars or yulohs (sweeps) a lot more feasible if you are inclined to that sort of thing!
BTW I think you will find that boat is one of the better choices for cruising, not too big, not too small...
The freedom in sailing, and life I guess, is not in having more, but in needing less!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 05-10-2016, 21:40   #322

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Thanks again. I did get a couple new tools for my boat this past couple days. A new main sail, a standard horizon gz2200b standard matrix AIS/GPS/VHF.

And a ACRPLB375 personal homing beacon. I was told by some old friends " Coasties" I should have both.

Baby steps, patience.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 21:56   #323

Quote:
Thanks again. I did get a couple new tools for my boat this past couple days. A new main sail, a standard horizon gz2200b standard matrix AIS/GPS/VHF.

And a ACRPLB375 personal homing beacon. I was told by some old friends " Coasties" I should have both.

Baby steps, patience.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

Dirk
Oh yeah, all good items! I have that PLB and the radio too, except I opted for the one without the AIS because I am going to ask Santa Claus for the AIS transponder, but I wish now I had just gone ahead and gotten the one with AIS too. Shopping for the boat is fun, eh?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 06-10-2016, 13:06   #324

Boat: Cooper 37

81, Cooper Seabird 37 ... full keel, displacement 18,000 lbs - Ballast 6000 lbs
Jaguar2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 13:33   #325
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A thread like this begs to have photos posted of each boat.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 13:55   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
A thread like this begs to have photos posted of each boat.
Like these before and afters?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dealersite_images_rcryachts_vp1793331_2_large.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	132437   Click image for larger version

Name:	dealersite_images_rcryachts_vp1793331_6_large.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	132438  

Name:	dealersite_images_rcryachts_vp1793331_11_large.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	132439   Click image for larger version

Name:	YOT in Cobourg.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	132440  

Name:	YOT Interior.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	132441  
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 18:23   #327

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

I swear I'm not trolling, Don, you know I have a 1966 Columbia 29 mark 2, but I think plastic Classic is an oxymoron, even though my 1966 wooden boat is beginning to have as much epoxy integrated as to make its wooden boat standing questionable. Wait. I think I get it now. The old plastic(frozen snot) boats have a lot of varnished wood on them. Almost as much as my Hereshoff now has epoxied wood!
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 20:23   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
I swear I'm not trolling, Don, you know I have a 1966 Columbia 29 mark 2, but I think plastic Classic is an oxymoron, even though my 1966 wooden boat is beginning to have as much epoxy integrated as to make its wooden boat standing questionable. Wait. I think I get it now. The old plastic(frozen snot) boats have a lot of varnished wood on them. Almost as much as my Hereshoff now has epoxied wood!
Believe me, it is a tongue-in-cheek term for me too! As much as I love my little boat, I still cringe a little at the term "plastic." But I think they are old enough and proven enough now to be able to wear the mantle of "classic!" And like you say, wooden boats now, that are still sailing, may have some plastic mixed in there somewhere. Hey, any plans to come south for an island cruise?? Let me know if you do!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 06-10-2016, 22:00   #329

Boat: Alberg 35

Here's our classic: 1965 Alberg 35. We got her two years ago and hav been doing some cosmeti work (just completed redoing all the wood work), some systems. She needs minor repairs to the boom and <sigh> all nine winches need to be serviced along with an old bronze windlass. Never run out of things to do!

[image=http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/members/151762-albums4695-picture26269.html[/image]
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:44   #330

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

I've started a thread elsewhere trying to find information on a capstan I'm thinking of installing. I haven't been getting much action on the thread so I'm giving a link here hoping someone may be able to identify the capstan.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2229669
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote