Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2019, 09:22   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Cruisers last trips, intentional never returns

Kinda hard to talk about this in the general, or the abstract. Surely the right approach depends on the exact situation. I don’t have enough information from the OP’s scenarios to know if these people are temporarily depressed and in need of support, or if they’ve thought it through and made a reasonable and rational decision about how they want to end their lives.

Death comes to all of us. And despite the fairy tales, it is rarely pretty or gentle. Living out your final days without any control over your own being is an undesirable fate. It’s certainly possible to take control of one’s own death, so if these people are in this category, then I say it’s the epitome of arrogance to try and stop them. But if they are taking these actions out of despair, then certainly an intervention is warranted.

As usual with these question, the answer is: It depends.
Old 18-08-2019, 09:43   #17

Boat: C&C 37

We are discussing two different situations here - Contemplating suicide for emotional or similar reasons - such as young people seem inclined to do these days, or people who have gotten into big trouble, and people who realize - for various reasons - illness, mental degradation etc, it may be time to go. In the latter case, if relatives are aware, and it has been discussed - and considering the prohibitive costs of even a simple cremation or funeral these days, if one can do it quietly, without causing problems, why not. Scuttle the boat in deep water - you will be in your chosen element, not dirt.
Medically assisted suicides are available these days- but expensive and time consuming to arrange. Also - in most cases Eskimo elders would choose to walk away from their homes on their own volition, into the cold, go to sleep and freeze. They were not forced to.
Keep an open mind, please. It is the individuals' choice - particularly for the aged or terminally ill.
RobertoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 09:47   #18

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Showing a little friendship and concern when warranted, is never a bad thing. I try to row over to singlehanders boats in an anchorage if I see them on deck and I feel I would not be intruding, and just exchange a few friendly words. You never know . . .
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 10:00   #19

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Cruisers last trips, intentional never returns

Many years ago, when my mother was in the final stages of a long and terrible death from Alzheimer’s I sought advice from someone who’s wisdom I respected about what was happening to my mother soul. Was it trapped in her non-aware body or had it already gone to wherever souls go? He recommended the book Many Lives Many Masters by Brian Weiss. It deals with reincarnation and multiple lives. I wasn’t a believer but it opened my thinking and gave me comfort to think about my mother’s final long days not as a tragic culmination of her life but as a transitory state leading to something beyond my knowledge.

It left we with the thought that the unique life energy of each of us doesn’t just disappear. Whatever you call the thing that happens after death (going to god, reincarnation, ones energy merging with the energy of all things in the universe or becoming one with The Force) must effect your attitude about how and when someone else chooses to make this transition from life as we know it to whatever awaits beyond our current experience.

I’m now comfortable with the thought that death is a natural and inevitable part of life. Each of us makes multitudes of choices about the path we travel from birth to death. Life at its best is an adventure. I hope the adventure continues.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 10:19   #20

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Juan Cadez, in “Wind from the Carolinas”
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 10:31   #21

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

I would rather be sea-sick then you don't care if you die

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris2.11 View Post
Comes a time for all of us. I would much prefer to be on the boat during my final moments than anywhere else I can think of - however that may be arranged without causing harm to others or the environment.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 10:32   #22

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

I feel it is important to differentiate between those with a terminal illness and those pursuing a permanent solution to temporary problems.

Whenever there is a death, the loved ones left behind are effected. When the death comes prematurely, unnaturally, and avoidably, the effects can be that much greater.

OTOH, I don't know that a casual acquaintance has a moral obligation to interfere. They are the ones who must live with their consciences, though. Indeed, we ARE our brothers' keeper.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 10:51   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
...Seems a complicated, time consuming and problematic way to do it. If they have thought it out that far, I'm sure they realize they are likely to be adrift and slowly die due to dehydration. Not only that for the one, it would have to be a couple agreeing to do this.

If they are going to give it some thought and plan it out, there are a lot easier less painful ways to do it.

You are assuming their plan in to drown or starve.

Far more likely, they are seeking privacy for the act and the result. They want to gracefully disappear. The actual cause of death may be drugs or something similarly peaceful. Some people would walk out into the woods, but by using their boat, there will be no remains for anyone to discover.
Old 18-08-2019, 11:16   #24

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
What can be done? Noninterference. As long as they are not harming anyone else, nothing. It does raise the issue of an abandoned boat perhaps being a hazard both navigational and environmental, however. If a planned suicide is to occur, then perhaps they scuttled the boat as well. Hopefully after running the tanks dry.

But if I knew my time was here, I would absolutely be happy sailing off into the sunset rather than a suburban hospice.
In total agreement with your nicely put summation.

Wanting to die can result from all manner of things and it doesn't have to be seen as a negative.

If I discover I have some horrible cancer, or especially dementia I would want to be able to die with dignity both for my own sake and so that my family don't have to go through an awful time.
Old 18-08-2019, 11:35   #25

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
In total agreement with your nicely put summation.

Wanting to die can result from all manner of things and it doesn't have to be seen as a negative.

If I discover I have some horrible cancer, or especially dementia I would want to be able to die with dignity both for my own sake and so that my family don't have to go through an awful time.
Couldn't agree more.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 11:39   #26

Most older folks support a suicide option, from what I've seen. Today, I'm just fine.
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 12:17   #27

The reason I'm all for euthanasia is simple, I've seen this up close, and personal. My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2005, underwent months of grueling therapy that turned her from a happy, life loving person into a husk of herself because the chemo whooped her ass so bad. She was told after 6 months of this that the cancer had spread to her bones, and that she was now terminal.

Instead of spending the last year of her life in pain, in and out of hospital, unable to do the things she once did, and not wanting us (my dad, my brother, myself) to see her wither away, she took matters into her own hand and arranged for all of us to be in the hospital where she had (without our knowledge) arranged euthanasia. We got to say goodbye to someone who will be remembered as she was in life, instead of as a weak, withered woman who no longer had the ability to communicate due to the sheer amount of drugs she was on.

Do I resent her for doing it behind our backs? No, not at all. It was her life, her choice, and by choosing to go as she did, on her own terms, she saved us from months of having to watch her decline and not being able to do a damn thing about it. Does that make her passing any better? It does, actually.

So from my end of things, if I'm diagnosed with a terminal disease, or I end up in a situation where I can no longer do the things I want to do due to ill health, I'll hoist the sails one last time and go out on my own terms.

Being 42, I doubt I fall into the "older folks" category (at least, I hope not...) but yeah, there above is my entire reasoning for supporting being able to end your own life on your own terms.
benvanstaveren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 12:52   #28

Boat: GibSea 352

I found the 'don't interfere' comments disturbing as depression is often a side-effect of physical illnesses that can be managed, as can depression itself to some extent.
Yes, people have an absolute right to refuse treatment, but they ought to be making that sort of decision on the basis of knowledge of treatment options. And people can help out.
DavidMRea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 13:08   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

Neither scenario overtly suggests depression or some other mental illness at work here. In fact the first scenario seems explicit that the actions were well thought out and planned.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with extending a kind hand to a friend or a stranger. We are social animals, and loneliness can be a deadly condition for some. But not everyone needs or wants the company of others. Just b/c someone stays on their boat by themselves for days at a time, does not mean they are depressed or in need of an intervention.

And even if they are, it is ultimately their choice to make. Rather arrogant of someone — particularly someone not close to the person — to assume they need an intervention.
Old 18-08-2019, 13:30   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruisers last trips, intentional never returns

I have been approached by someone in this situation..
Basically they wanted to charter a small sailboat and for me to skipper it out to sea and then wait till they went (overdose) then drop them over the side..
I did not take the job on for a variety of reasons, the main one being having to explain things when I took the boat back..
A manslaughter charge was unappealing to say the least.
Last I heard she was heading to Turkey, it seems she'd found someone there who could help her 'disappear'.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser