Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 14:36   #91

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua
Re: Anxiety from Offshore Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I have a fair number of offshore miles and still have anxiety before taking off on a long passage. We settled in nicely after a day or two.
Best thing you can do is crew on some offshore passages with an experienced skipper. It's mostly mundane out there, occasionally interrupted with moments of shear terror.

As is so often the case, the first answer is the best.

Definitely crew with someone more experience. You will learn a lot, and in particular, you will learn that you do not have to be super-sailor (or superman) to sail offshore. The two requirements are 1) a sound boat, and 2) the nerve to get out there.

'Sheer terror' is a bit of a cliche. I would rather say that your nerve will be tested, eventually. Again, its a lot easier to face this when crewing on someone else's boat.

The goal is for you to eventually say to yourself "Heck, I'm a better sailor than this bozo. If HE can do it, I sure can!"

That's when you know you are ready.
Old 01-08-2018, 22:47   #92

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
[...]
They knew I was a novice sailor and learning, With the intention of sailing my boat to Australia,
I kept them in fits of laughter, But they didnt give me any bum steers,
[...]

Do you remember asking the classic question "What do you do at night? Anchor?" ?

Good story, thanks for sharing, Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I remember the skippers meeting just before the start of one of the ARC crossings to Antigua when someone asked all those who have some fear or anxiety to raise their hand. Everyone did.

I guess that was one of the main reasons why they signed up in he first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Reynolds View Post
[...]appropriately constructed MULTI HULL , in contrast to the most definately will sink half boats that foolishly attach a ton of can you believe it lead ! ?[...]

Too funny, Lance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Does every thread on this forum end up with a multihull/sailboat post?

Absolutely! That or politics...

Finally this quote takes the cake, in my book:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanshoretiga View Post
I always joke that I don't fear the ocean because I lack imagination.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:53   #93

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Do you remember asking the classic question "What do you do at night? Anchor?" ?

Good story, thanks for sharing, Brian!

I guess that was one of the main reasons why they signed up in he first place?

Too funny, Lance!

Absolutely! That or politics...

Finally this quote takes the cake, in my book:
In Fiji, I was on a swing mooring on Mololo, and the Marina at Denarue,
I slept well,

It wasnt untill I got to Vanuatu and tried the anchors for the first time that I realised I had problems with the anchors,
They both dragged, It was the start of my sleepless nights,
A Danforth and the Useless Chinese Claw,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:19   #94

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizoc View Post
The more you learn the anxiety increases. But once you are off it tends to decrease.
As a fellow newbie, saving for my first boat, this post is spot on! All of the research that I'm doing makes me realize how much I DON'T know! It is a bit overwhelming, to be honest.

When I took my ASA 101/103 classes, I left feeling that I hadn't really learned anything! The sailing part is fairly easy... I feel that the hardest part of sailing is all in the periphery... decision making, crisis management, McGyverish repairs at sea, etc.

I used to do a lot of 4 wheeling in the Arizona desert, with topo's, back before GPS and cell phones. I have been in some pretty hairy situations in the middle of nowhere, but never panicked, and we always managed to get the truck home.

Hopefully those instincts will keep me alive at sea as well.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:46   #95
cruiser

There’re less things to run into when sailing away from land. Not nearly as stressful as near the shore, but you need to be totally self-reliant.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:23   #96

Boat: Valiant 40

Whenever I leave the Chesapeake at the start of a long passage I breathe a huge sigh of relief. No more shallows and shoals, no more container ships barreling down the channel at 15 knots, no more fish traps, crab pots, 40’ floating logs, no more fluky winds or 4’ chop, no more “Radio check please” or seemingly endless pleas to the CG for help, no more being waked...

Any anxiety I have about being offshore (and it has little to do with whether land is in sight) is usually a function of weather. If you practice intelligent and diligent risk mitigation you’ve done all you can to prepare. It’s before you leave, during prep that the anxiety lurks because in truth there is always one more thing you can do to prepare, within reason. Once you’re out there it is what it is.

Experience counts for a lot. I did my first ocean crossing when I was 20, back in the days of Loran, on a wooden Rhodes ketch. We hit three gales. First one I was terrified. Second one I was mildly nervous. Third one I was mostly annoyed lol.

There is no substitute for crewing on a passage with an experienced well prepared skipper. You’ll learn more in a week of that than in years of reading books, particularly if you run into weather.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:43   #97
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie;2680274

Did any of you initially have anxiety or minor fear when you first started boating and went offshore? (i.e. couldn't see land anymore). [COLOR="Red"
yes and that seems a reasonable fear to have[/COLOR]

If so, how did you get over it? Does it just get easier the more you do it and the more confident you feel in your vessel and in your abilities? just go a little further as you get more comfortable
Been sailing 9 years now and cruising full time for 2 years. There's still lots of anxiety sometimes even to cross a 5 mile bay depending on conditions. IMO if you lose all your anxiety you are now off guard and foolish.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:49   #98

Boat: 1980 Catalina 38

I started with small cruises inland, anchoring overnight, learning boat and getting comfortable before going offshore.
Enjoy
Rogerfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:53   #99

Boat: a sailing boat

Btw the way I feel it, cruising is always done inshore. Offshore, you are mostly SAILING.

ymmv

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 18:10   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Been sailing 9 years now and cruising full time for 2 years. There's still lots of anxiety sometimes even to cross a 5 mile bay depending on conditions. IMO if you lose all your anxiety you are now off guard and foolish.
I think this is very well said. When people get too comfortable is when they disrespect the elements and potential problems that can arise, often leaving people unprepared when trouble does happen.
boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, offshore