Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 01:57   #1

Question bleed simrad rpu160

Hi all,
I am in the process of fitting a simrad NAC 3 auto pilot computer and RPU 160 reversing pump to a hydrive admiral twin helm steering system.
To bleed the pump I need to get the port and starboard remote switch controls working but I can't do this until I commission the autopilot. One of the steps to do this is to test the rudder (the rudder feed back has been calibrated).
When I start the rudder test the pump runs but the test fails and goes back to rudder test display.
Does anyone know any way to bleed the pump to pass the rudder test or bypass the calibration of the autopilot?

Cheers

Terry on TVtinney
terry welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:13   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: bleed simrad rpu160

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry welsh View Post
Hi all,
I am in the process of fitting a simrad NAC 3 auto pilot computer and RPU 160 reversing pump to a hydrive admiral twin helm steering system.
To bleed the pump I need to get the port and starboard remote switch controls working but I can't do this until I commission the autopilot. One of the steps to do this is to test the rudder (the rudder feed back has been calibrated).
When I start the rudder test the pump runs but the test fails and goes back to rudder test display.
Does anyone know any way to bleed the pump to pass the rudder test or bypass the calibration of the autopilot?

Cheers

Terry on TVtinney
Terry--

I learned the following from a technician that helped us with the drive on our Simrad AP that has been restored to health following a rebuild:

The pumps are self bleeding through a one-way valve (similar to the valve in an anti-siphon loop) on the top of the hydraulic fluid reservoir. Check the reservoir to ensure that you have adequate fluid (a piece of a bamboo skewer makes a good "dip-stick" ) then seal the reservoir and, with the AP powered up, manually turn the wheel from lock-to-lock quite a few times. Recheck the fluid level and add oil as necessary after which you should be able to use the direction buttons on the control head to move the wheel back and forth a quarter turn or so each way during the course of which you may hear a moaning sound caused by escaping air through the bleed valve. Recheck the fluid level and add fluid as necessary and repeat until the moaning stops after which you should be good to go.

Good luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:36   #3

Re: bleed simrad rpu160

Thanks for that Hylyte.

I persevered with the pump running on test mode and finally worked out that there was no oil going into the pump even after I had bled the system back to the pump.
I connected the inlet hole on the pump to 2m of clear plastic hose and blew into the end of the hose with a hand pump. This seemed to work but I still need to bleed the whole steering system.
Cheers
Terry on TVtinney
terry welsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
simrad