Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 19:47   #1

Boat: MacGregor 26S
another newbie..

I don't know how to make it short at my age (4xgrandfather) and sailing endeavors I am planing to undertake.
Let me start with a sailing bio:
-sailing on&off for >35years, fresh water only;
-did a course ending with Yacht Coastal Skipper certificate (Poland);
-sailed my own 20' Omega (open cockpit) for 8years;
-sailed on different cabin boats (20-25'), including running for a few years sailing camps on Balaton Lake (Hungary);
-taught kids at sailing camps for a few years;
-then sabbatical for about 17 years;
-sailing on Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) for last 8 years on-board of a 1991 MacGregor 26S in almost all condition that that lake can throw at you (including snow squalls in October).

And here what I want to do, big breath.., I want to sail the Oceans till I can sail no more.
I've always wanted; from country to country I was carrying with me all the books from my sailing course plus some I bought on the way.
Reading and re-reading with hope that maybe one day...
My situation allows me that day may become a reality.
I'm giving myself about 2 years to cast off.
Reading voraciously ( a lot here) my books again and trying to sort out the objectives and stages.
Working now on:
I.Choosing the boat;
a. if I go single-handed;
b. if with my friend of similar inclinations;
c. if I decide live on board before departure.
II.Trying to arrange for a bluewater experience to make sure I'm cut out for it (I feel I'm, but life's taught me some humility), if the answer is positive I will train and rig out the boat for a season or two on Huron Lake so we are both ready for a new experience plus hopefully some more off shore trials on somebody's else boat(s).

I'm in v.good shape in all aspects of body and mind.
I'm self-employed (Industrial Electronics), avid tennis player, skiing instructor, ski patroller, equestrian instructor (dormant), I hunt, I cook, I sing and can repair almost anything.
OK, that's a concise me

Now I'd like to ask you the 1st favor: recommended/indispensable readings I need to do?

I have and read (re-reading some now):
-'The seaworthy offshore sailboat' -by John Vigor;
-'How to sail around the world'- by Hal Roth;
-'Heavy weather sailing'- by Adlard Coles, and recently acquired Practical Sailor's -'Practical boat buying' vo.l 1 & 2.
Thank you,

Kaz O.
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 21:29   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: another newbie..

Welcome to the forum Kazo. One area you may want to read about is maintenance. Nigel Calder has a great one that I always recommend, called Mechanical and Electrical Manual. Probably find one used on Amazon or ebay.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kaz.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 17:56   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome and sounds like you are well on your way and well-prepared. I was thinking the other day I learned all my best lessons from deliveries I crewed on because something always seems to break or go wrong on a delivery. You learn how to deal with things at sea which is handy. You can also learn which kinds of things are big problems and which are not so big. Maybe see if you can find a spot as crew on one for a little bit more of education. In any case good luck and keep us posted!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 19:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Welcome to the forum Kazo. One area you may want to read about is maintenance. Nigel Calder has a great one that I always recommend, called Mechanical and Electrical Manual. Probably find one used on Amazon or ebay.
asked Santa to put it under Christmas tree.
Thanks
Old 12-12-2016, 19:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Welcome and sounds like you are well on your way and well-prepared. I was thinking the other day I learned all my best lessons from deliveries I crewed on because something always seems to break or go wrong on a delivery. You learn how to deal with things at sea which is handy. You can also learn which kinds of things are big problems and which are not so big. Maybe see if you can find a spot as crew on one for a little bit more of education. In any case good luck and keep us posted!
Meeting a delivery guy on Wednesday, faster that I expected, not really time to prepare for that...
What are the right questions to ask?
What are the usual terms of such arrangements?
I would appreciate a concise guidance.
Thanks
Old 12-12-2016, 22:47   #7

In my case I knew the skippers I crewed for, knew they were very skilled, and the owners paid for the transportation for me to get to the boat and get back and of course feeding me, once a hotel the night before and after, that was it. I had to have my own stuff... weather gear">foul weather gear, harness, etc... Meeting someone I didn't know I'd check some references if he/she has some... so you know you don't have to bring your own liferaft or survival suit If you don't get the sense or info that the delivery skipper knows what he is doing, don't bother. Do not go sailing with someone if you aren't sure about his/her professionalism and skills. When you do find a good skipper, try to crew for him/her as much as you can. It can be a great way to learn. I believe a good skipper will want to interview you well and will welcome you interviewing him/her extensively.... you both are going to have to depend on each other of course. Don't be afraid to be brutally honest. A good skipper is looking for someone who is honest, does not panic easily and does not complain if things get uncomfortable. Skills are important, but those can be taught and learned along the way. This was many years ago, crewing for others, but I did help a friend by sailing his new (to him) boat up for him with a couple sailing friends a year ago... and sure enough a couple hours into it and the engine started to have cooling problems... and ended up having to call for a tow. But live and learn.
There are quite a few folks on here who are delivery skippers I believe, perhaps they will chime in, especially if you start a thread about it.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-12-2016, 05:10   #8

thanks Don
Old 13-12-2016, 10:07   #9

BTW I believe members here boatman61 and CaptPhil do deliveries, they might be able to help out too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-12-2016, 10:36   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo View Post
Meeting a delivery guy on Wednesday, faster that I expected, not really time to prepare for that...
What are the right questions to ask?
What are the usual terms of such arrangements?
I would appreciate a concise guidance.
Thanks
Great way to have new sailing adventures. Why waste your time and money on a boat...just go sailing! You do not need to own a boat.

Me, Im in Panama City getting ready to go work in the f'ing boat! I could get paid to sail till I was sick of it, but on my own boat I have to waste tons of time and money on it. Other people's boats...I just go sailing and hand them my maintenenace list at the end...and get paid to that!

Something to consider...why buy a boat and waste more life on boat maintenance.

Can you tell Im not happy about going to work on the boat? 😠
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote