Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2019, 09:22   #31

Re: Advice on joining a drug testing Consortium

Fortunately I live in a Civilised country where probable cause is required before the authorities or an employer can request a drug or alcohol test.
I most certainly would not vollenteraly agree to a test. Or vote for any politician who would insist on this kind of invasion of privacy.

Why would you join a drug testing regime when there is no requirement for you to be tested.

Completely irrelevant. I don’t do drugs and hardly ever drink even when I’m not driving or sailing. I just object to civil liberties being violated.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 09:27   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
Fortunately I live in a Civilised country where probable cause is required before the authorities or an employer can request a drug or alcohol test.
I most certainly would not vollenteraly agree to a test. Or vote for any politician who would insist on this kind of invasion of privacy.

Why would you join a drug testing regime when there is no requirement for you to be tested.

Completely irrelevant. I don’t do drugs and hardly ever drink even when I’m not driving or sailing. I just object to civil liberties being violated.
Which country do you live in?
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 09:35   #33

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:

Unfortunately, this isn't voluntary in the US. You must have a USCG license to carry passengers for hire, and you must be in a random drug testing program to keep your license. So, there is a requirement to join and to be tested if you want to get paid to carry passengers for hire.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 11:03   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

I think it is very civilized to require drug testing for some jobs.
It is a safety issue.

For example Truck drivers, Airplane Pilots, ship Captains, etc.
Many of my customers in heavy industry require a drug test before I am allowed do any work.
After all a mistake can cause a major problem killing people.
Old 31-01-2019, 11:23   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice on joining a drug testing Consortium

So you arrive at the plant, clock in then go to the infirmary and get tested before stepping on the shop floor.???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 11:38   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So you arrive at the plant, clock in then go to the infirmary and get tested before stepping on the shop floor.???
Before I visit a customer they send me their requirements.
1. Safety training good for 1 year.
2. Personal Protection Equipment (Shoes, hat hats, etc.)
3. Drug Testing normally good for 1 year.

I will not be allowed into the plant until I have done all of these things.
Old 31-01-2019, 11:57   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

So technically you can take the test then toke for the next 11months and stop for a month before the next test and not be caught.. bar a possible random test.
Bit like athletes..
I too live somewhere where theres no drug/alcohol testing except after an accident.. to me this is just another way to take your dollar.. only proves your clean on the day of the test.
Bit like the UK annual MOT for cars.. need it to use the car for another year but only valid for 24hrs after the test if theres an accident due to something failing 5 days later.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 31-01-2019, 12:06   #38
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
So technically you can take the test then toke for the next 11months and stop for a month before the next test and not be caught.. bar a possible random test.
Bit like athletes..
I too live somewhere where theres no drug/alcohol testing except after an accident.. to me this is just another way to take your dollar.. only proves your clean on the day of the test.
Bit like the UK annual MOT for cars.. need it to use the car for another year but only valid for 24hrs after the test if theres an accident due to something failing 5 days later.
Its very simple, the customer decides what their requirements are and you have to do it or you do not get the PO.

BTW please do not assume that I do drugs, I do not.
Old 31-01-2019, 12:15   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
Its very simple, the customer decides what their requirements are and you have to do it or you do not get the PO.

BTW please do not assume that I do drugs, I do not.
No worries mate... No assumptions here whatsoever..
Just understanding how you guys work.

Old 31-01-2019, 12:16   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
No worries mate... No assumptions here whatsoever..
Just understanding how you guys work.
Thank you.
Old 31-01-2019, 12:30   #41

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Drinking beer on a boat can help reduce water consumption.

Of course, drinking water also helps to reduce beer consumption.
Old 31-01-2019, 12:39   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
.. to me this is just another way to take your dollar.. only proves your clean on the day of the test.

Actually, I have fired guys who tested positive- although they present clean and sober. Traces of most drugs linger in the body and with new technologies are detectable weeks after use.

The relevancy of a positive test is debatable, but the rules are the rules. So if you want the license you play by their rules. Going on almost 40 years of drug testing—— as long as I don’t have to spell them I pass
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 13:29   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Actually, I have fired guys who tested positive- although they present clean and sober. Traces of most drugs linger in the body and with new technologies are detectable weeks after use.

The relevancy of a positive test is debatable, but the rules are the rules. So if you want the license you play by their rules. Going on almost 40 years of drug testing—— as long as I don’t have to spell them I pass
Never been tested.. but then I've never caused an accident.. mind you the police may have requested a test sample from the hospital when a guy jumped the lights in front of my bike and I Evil Kenevil'd over his boot minus the bike.. but as I was in surgery I dont know..
Non consensual.. but nothing came up from it so must have been clean.

Old 31-01-2019, 15:55   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
Which country do you live in?
I live in Canada.
I can even sail a small commercial vessel in US waters.
random drug testing is currently a violation of our constitution. There are quite a few politicians who are in favour of it.

Most larger employers have drug and alcohol policies. My employers have strict drug and alcohol policies.
Drug testing does occur. If thier is a reason to suspect a problem. Employees who have a history problems may even have to agree to regular and or random testing if they want to stay employed. So drug or alcohol use is Not tolerated.

Has random drug testing reduced accidents involving drugs or alcohol in the US?

I can understand why a crew member on a commercial vessel needs to accept drug testing and deal with security.

Still wonder why you would need to be tested as a delivery skipper.
Old 31-01-2019, 16:01   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post

Why?

This may sound stupid. But I wouldn’t fire someone for a trace amount of what they may have done some time before on thier time off.
If they are clean and sober when they come to work and stay clean and sober at work.

Last I heard eating a poppy seed bagel can cause a trace amount positive test.