Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 20:30   #16

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: A sincere request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You'd best not go over to Ibiza and anchor off Formentera, and forget about the Balearics.

We’ll take your advice. After 7 years, 48,000 miles and 34 countries, we’re heading home.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 06:28   #17

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We’ll take your advice. After 7 years, 48,000 miles and 34 countries, we’re heading home.

Hahaha! Forums seem to bring out a lot about the poster, don’t they? Like certain current politicians, there’s a lot of projection going around these days.

We’re new to sailing, having cruised down from Florida to our current position in Puerto Rico since February.

And I must say, as folks that find privacy and solitude precious, I understand where you’re coming from, even after our few months afloat. It must be the safety-in-numbers thing, we figure.

Often we hear the expression, “it’s good to know we’re not alone out here” for passages as well.

We figure that there’s two takes on the herding trait - the cuddler, and the “porcupine”. Like you likely are, we are porcupines. Neither is good or bad. A Dalmation has spots, a Lab not. Neither good nor bad.

The strangest cuddler type is one we have found that nudges up close, but doesn’t really acknowledge your existence.

We just try to understand the cuddlers, and grin and bear it, but even for us newbies, it sometimes grows a bit old. And that’s our projection!
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 06:48   #18

The reason for this post: in all the ‘etiquette’ articles it never seems to be mentioned, that is to say, to anchor as far AWAY as possible, given any particular situation. So I’m trying to get the word out.

I stand baffled that so many people don’t want their OWN privacy and quiet, even if they don’t seem to respect mine. Didn’t anyone’s Mamas teach y’all to ‘not go where you’re not wanted?’

For the record... I move. A lot. I will not ‘grin and bear.’ If I wanted to do that, I’d stay on the dirt. I leave. I also do my level best to anchor on the fringe, in places which are crowded, if I can’t avoid those places. And I also forgo entering: F. ex: wanted to go to a lonely place, a boat was already there, tried to give my requisite space (1k ft seems about right). Couldn’t do. Left.

Respect goes both ways, sez I. And I bet that boat was glad I left. I would have been; that’s why we didn’t stay.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 07:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
The reason for this post: in all the ‘etiquette’ articles it never seems to be mentioned, that is to say, to anchor as far AWAY as possible, given any particular situation. So I’m trying to get the word out.
This topic reminds me a bit of this one a while ago.

Can you define as "far away as possible"? Completely unseen - eg different bay or over the horizon? A mile? 1000 ft?

I'm an absolutist on noise in remote anchorages (run your damn generator when you're underway, not when you're at anchor around other boats), but I don't mind having other boats in view, eg a few hundred ft. Of course this is just my opinion and others will have different ones. Also we are still mainly Great Lakes sailors.

As a relatively inexperienced cruiser, I admit that the presence of another boat in an anchorage is often confirmation that it's a good spot, but we will try to be more than 500 ft away from other vessels.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 07:29   #20

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Quote:
So I’m trying to get the word out.

Lol, you’ve heard of Sisyphus, tamicatana?
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 09:25   #21

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Please, everyone:

When anchoring, do your level best to anchor AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE from other boats. We don’t want to see you and especially not hear you.

Please.

Frankly, I find this request rude and selfish. You don’t want to see us? It’s as though your presence in an anchorage gives you some kind of privilege that, in your opinion, would deny us the ability to anchor even if we’re a safe distance away. Whereas I fully agree that respect for privacy is a common courtesy, I think asking people to anchor out of your line of sight is out of line.

I suggest you rephrase your initial post.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 10:28   #22

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

When I go into an anchorage as the first boat, I normally head for the best spot. If other boats anchor close, I guess that is for the same reason, not for some herd instinct. They are very welcome.

If I go into an anchorage where other yachts are already at anchor, it depends. I might go for the most convenient or safest spot, even if another yacht is close.

If more boats are expected, I normally anchor as close as feasible to the other yachts, in order to give new arrivals room. That is just plain courtesy.

Privacy is not an important factor in these decisions, seamanship and convenience is. If another yacht is not happy with my anchor position, they are always welcome to move.

I think we all are much better off sharing our oceans, harbours and anchorages, like mariners have done for ages instead of trying to appropriate pieces of them.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 10:36   #23

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Don't be a Wanchor...Love it!!
Old 16-06-2018, 11:04   #24

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
A sincere request

Interestingly about 4 weeks ago i came to an anchorage where there was one boat (German) anchored close to a spot where i had been a previous visit. I came close to his boat to take a look at the ground in that area. He then came out and told me to go away. I asked what his problem was and after a brief exchange he said something that sounded like mother ****er. That is when i unleashed a torrent of abuse at him in German.

On the flip side, i was the only boat in a crappy anchorage in Kefelonia. I saw a fellow small cat owner approaching. Unfortunately for them it was just as I started playing ‘goodbye stranger’ very loudly. In the end they anchored a good 1km away.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 12:56   #25

First, maybe some of you should read my assertions more carefully, and note my caveats.

second, I should clarify ‘seeing’ for the red-herring tossers. I do not mean that in the sense of not seeing the other boat at all, but there is no need to have a detailed view into my pit. Let’s just say, out of range of hearing voices.

As for ‘leaving space for others,’ keeping distance works out fine. Boat A is at one end, Boat B the other. Boat C arrives and anchors equidistant to both. Boat D arrives and splits between either A and C, or B and C. Boat E arrives and takes the ‘ slot’ or side as it were that D did not. Etcetera. The area fills. But, if there are no arrivals, then nobody is camped on, at least initially. As you see, there is no need to ‘leave space’ for other boats.

As for being selfish? The only selfishness is your insistence that your proximity is welcome. Read my earlier post: I leave or don’t enter. And you call me ‘selfish?’ That’s rich.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 02:01   #26

Boat: Island Packet 40

You might be better off just staying at sea and heaving to??
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 03:37   #27

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I always anchor farthest out anywhere I am.... With the three of us, three cats, a penchant for nudity, prosecco, and Creedence, you prolly don't want to be near us any more than we want to be near you. One thing to remember, on the water the smallest noise carries for miles, most often from discos onshore around here in Italy. So even when your neighbors are trying to be good, earplugs are an option for bedtime at least.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 04:08   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Want them to move ?
Play this Jimmy Buffet number really loud.

Old 18-06-2018, 04:12   #29

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
When I go into an anchorage as the first boat, I normally head for the best spot. If other boats anchor close, I guess that is for the same reason, not for some herd instinct. They are very welcome....
For us too. We like our peace and quiet, but if there is better protection, less roll, better holding, ... in one particular corner, and that's where you've elected to anchor, well, you're going to have company.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 05:01   #30

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

You get the same if your tenting on land, Your the only person for miles and they will come and park their tent beside yours.

If I wanted company, My tent would be in a caravan park, or my boat would be in a Marina,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote