Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2006, 04:32   #1

Boat: 1975 Alberg 37 Yawl
Watermaker Information Request

I'm in the planning stages of putting together an engine driven watermaker. I have all the "do it yourself" articles (Good Old Boat; RUTU, etc. etc.) but one. I've not been able to get a copy of Brent Swain's "Origami Metal Boatbuilding" which supposedly has his thoughts and design of an engine driven watermaker, which I would like to read before putting this system together. I've exhausted all efforts to get a copy (emailed to Brent - no response, checked with Amazon, checked with used book sellers etc.). Has anyone read this book and does it contain definitive information on building a watermaker, or does the book provide only general information??? If the watermaker information in the book is worthwhile, where can it be obtained??

Thanks,

Tom
Kinsale, VA
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 04:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Brent Swain is a contributing member of the CruisersForum, and could be reached by PM at:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...do=newpm&u=635
Or Email at:
brentswain38 @ yahoo . ca

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 09:49   #3

Boat: 1975 Alberg 37 Yawl
Watermaker info

Thanks Gord - I've tried PMs several times along with his Yahoo address - no response (and no kickbacks either).
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 11:11   #4

I have emailed with Brent Swain in the past. It is my impression that he lives on his boat and cruises a lot. He is likely just away from communications for a while. There is a metal boat building forum on "Yahoo groups" that he used to frequent regularly. You might do a search and look there for information.

Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006, 12:33   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
You can buy the Origami metal whatsit from http://www.nauticalmind.com/customer...-pr-66137.html
Old 07-07-2006, 08:48   #6

Boat: Hunter 42
If anyone is interested I built my own watermaker and have the plans available on Ebay. Search under watermaker.
bob46777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 14:12   #7

What do you say to someone who only posts something as a means of making money

Most of us would only consider your kind invitation to make you money if we had some idea of you as a person and your background and skills.

so no thanks.
Old 07-07-2006, 14:18   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380S2
Send a message via Yahoo to db8us
Yes, checking the 2 posts from "bob" he is just a cheap dude....
No matter how good his watermaker might be, i would never buy from him.
db8us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 15:54   #9

Say what you want but I saved thousands by building my own. You two eather have more money then sence or your both really stupid. I put two years of reasearch into how they work because I was not going to spend 3 to 4 thousand for a watermaker. I built mine for $1500.00. And yes I am a cheep dude which is why I built my own and have sold many plans on ebay. Go to ebay and read my feedback db8us and talbot! If you both have trouble understand how ebay works I will help you. You do not have to know my back ground and skills I'm just trying to save some people money. I also see that both of you are from europe which might explane somethings. We Americans are practical and don't like to wast money which is why the USA this is the best country in the WORLD!
Old 08-07-2006, 00:22   #10

Boat: Lagoon 380S2
Send a message via Yahoo to db8us
Okay, as a cruiser i think we should not talk about whos country is the best. This shows a pretty narrow mindset. This is rare among cruisers.

Bob, i think that it was not the problem to offer something on ebay, but the way you did. You came on this forum and did not tell anyone anything about you or you did not give any few hints about watermakers for free and THEN tell people abour your website.
What would you think this forum would look like if one asks a question:
"How do i i.....?"
and every answer would be
""Go to ebay and pay me a few bucks"

I understand and appreciate the fact that you put all this together and lets just agree that you watermaker is the best in the worl, it is still the way you promote it that leaves a bad taste within such a forum.

And hey, outside the US people can not buy your plans Eben though one can pay with paypal and it is access to a website ?
By the way i am in Ebay since 2000 and have 100% positive feedback.

Anyway lets go sailing...
db8us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:12   #11

I think this response sort of proves my point.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:50   #12

I was responding to Tomj's post. I had all the information he had including Bernt's book and still needed more information before design and construction could begin. Glen (RUTU) and I were building and conversing at the same time. I used a different approuch then he did. I'm not sure if he got his to work or not. These units are easy to build if you have all the correct information. The $10.00 I charge for my plans represents three years of work and when you take the listing fee and paypal fee I make almost nothing. If Tomj will give me his email address I will give him access for nothing. I have done that many times for fellow cruisers I meet. I'm sorry I reacted that way, I was just trying to help. I spent $7.00 for the back issue of Good Old Boat and $32.95 for Brent's book and still didn't have enought info to design and build, and by the way I have a BS in engineering. Anyone in the world who is on ebay can purchase my plans, so db8us your statement is not true. I wish when I was designing mine someone would have offered me a proven desigh for ten busks.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:55   #13

Boat: now floating easy37
out of curiousity does the water come of the waste end of the membrane and hit the sea at 800 psi? and if so how come nobody has thought of a way to use this to pwer say the feedpump in much the same way a turbo on a car works, you could even use it to assist your high pressure pump turn?
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:24   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

northerncat,

The "high efficiency" watermakers do take the high-pressure brine output and run it back through the feed pump in order to recover some of the energy before it goes overboard. An example is Spectra's "Clark Pump"
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 15:39   #15

Boat: now floating easy37
so it does exit the boat at arouns 800 psi then?
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker