Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2018, 09:24   #121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: A sincere request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I don't know if you're not actually reading the posts or just don't understand so, for the third time, I'm not talking about a busy anchorage. I'm talking about an anchorage where there's tons of room & it's NEVER necessary to anchor on top of someone. However, due to the herd mentality or for whatever reason someone decides to anchor on top of us anyway. There's nothing rude about a float 50' off my bow where you have absolutely no business being in the first place. If we're in a busy anchorage we don't put out a float but the point of this thread is people anchoring on top of you when it's not necessary.
When you come int an unlighted anchorage in the Caribbean after dark with less than half of the boats displaying any lights the last thing i want is to pick up your anchor float in my prop. You will become UN-anchored and a collision is imminent. No different than the Maine lobsterman putting traps in bouyed waterways. It is tough enough to find anchored yachts with our two million candle spot let alone your miserable propeller trap.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 09:36   #122

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

In a non-crowded anchorage there is absolutely no reason for a float. In a crowded anchorage it is like laying traps. So, why use one?

And why are other boats not allowed to pass 50' off your bow?

There is one good reason for a float though. In rocky anchorages a trip line is a good idea.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 11:34   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
In a non-crowded anchorage there is absolutely no reason for a float. In a crowded anchorage it is like laying traps. So, why use one?

And why are other boats not allowed to pass 50' off your bow?

There is one good reason for a float though. In rocky anchorages a trip line is a good idea.
Indeed! We use a float in rocky places (like the Swedish-Finnish archis), but it is pure obnoxiousness to use a float for any other reason.

"What business do you have being 50' off my bow?" What business do you have blocking the whole area and creating a hazard to navigation? Do you have ownership documents for that anchorage?

But you are not only creating a hazard for others, you are creating it for yourself. How many times have I seen someone get tangled up in one of those floats, wrap prop, and UNANCHOR the boat which was using the float, creating mass carnage. Experienced sailors don't use floats except in cases of real necessity like rocks.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 12:11   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But you are not only creating a hazard for others, you are creating it for yourself. How many times have I seen someone get tangled up in one of those floats, wrap prop, and UNANCHOR the boat which was using the float, creating mass carnage. Experienced sailors don't use floats except in cases of real necessity like rocks.
And this is the heart of the matter. Whether or not the other guy is too close or has the right to pass 50' is moot. If it happens then you are the one that may suffer consequences.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 21:08   #125

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You know, different strokes, guys. In places where you anchor and then back in and tie to bollards on land, having an anchor buoy helps others not drop over your anchor, which can be a real problem (happened to us in Tahiti). The owner of said anchor then said, when we were ready to leave, "no, I will not ease off on my rode, they put their anchor under mine, they can get it out." Kinda flaky logic, but we did have to lift both anchors and chains, and it stripped the windlass!

We do not normally buoy our anchor, but one time when we did, first into a hurricane hole, we did. Used a fender. [Should anyone ever feel tempted to do it, be sure and put your boat name on the fender. Don't ask.] And were thanked by subsequent enterers into the anchorage. When you don't want to drag, it's cool to know where the other guys' anchor is, so you don't foul them by mistake.

Ann
Old 30-06-2018, 23:43   #126

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The owner of said anchor then said, when we were ready to leave, "no, I will not ease off on my rode, they put their anchor under mine, they can get it out."
I will remember this for next time somebody puts their anchor under mine
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 23:53   #127

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Sunday afternoon, only boat in a very quiet anchorage where I have seen 20+ boats fit and in the last hour had a yacht turn up and drop in front close enough that we'll winch through their cockpit if we leave and his mate has dropped in about 30 ft off our side and now being noisy.

End of the month I fit flopper stoppers with 6metre arms making us 55ft wide x 65ft long hoping that'll keep them at bay.
Been tempted to drop a circle of crab pots around us on occasion before, no excuse or reason for close anchoring here.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote