Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2012, 12:34   #16

Boat: Catalina 22
I plan to retire as soon as I can start collecting SS. That's 3 yrs from now, and I just hope they haven't done away with it before I get started. As far as living on $700 a month, I think if you own your own boat, don't have medical issues that require ongoing expensive treatment, and are debt free, you should be fine. Of course, you should probably start learning how to do without most of the luxuries we Americans think are necessities, a few years before you retire.

Otoh, if you have a wife, kids and grand kids that expect you to be there for them all the time...

Your cruising dreams are screwed.
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 12:44   #17

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrambo316

If you compare to private sector jobs, it won't seem so cruel. Most of us get zero pension and zero job security.
When a person is young and starting a career retirement is the last thing most think of. I lucked out & went to work as a field mechanic for a union excavating contractor in my early 30s. Never gave much thought to retiring always thought I'ld work till I tripped over a clod & died. About 52 I started to think maybe I don't want to work forever, ended up retiring at 61 2 years ago. Had to take a cut for going early but was able to keep our health ins. I've told the kids & their spouses to find a job with union benefits but none have listened so far, same with friends over the years. My only regret is not being in the operators when I started out then I could of went sooner with a full pension. Hope this helps someone here with their future, after all your not going to be 10' tall & bullet proof forever.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 13:15   #18

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: A Conclusion

Retire early and enjoy yourself.
Old 25-02-2012, 13:37   #19

Boat: San Juan 23, DaySailer 17.

We were union, company found a way to break it.....
Old 26-02-2012, 10:35   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We cruised to Ecuador last year and left our boat on the moorings in Bahia for a month while we went backpacking. Absolutely loved Ecuador and will go back at some page. People were incredibly friendly and helpful and the cost of living is, as mentioned, incredibly cheap. Intercity buses cost about $1 per hour of travel and hotels were in the $25 to $30 range. Food is excellent and cheap. The most expensive restaurant meal in Bahia was $10 and that was because the place is run by an American ex-pat and aims at the sailors and carriage trade business. Liked every part of Ecuador we visited except Guayaquil
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote