Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2017, 16:06   #16

Re: selling a catamaran - Australia or New Zeland ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d22 View Post
Hi,
We will soon advertise our boat for sale. We are from Europe and are not familiar with the local market, procedures, etc. We are in New Zeland but have been said that Australia might be a good place to sell. Do you have a recommendation ?
We preferably sell without a broaker. We know of trademe.com in nz, what would be the equivalent website in Australia ?

Thanks,
Hi
We live in Nz and would like to buy a cat by the end of the year for my husband, myself and 3 year old daughter could you please send me more details of your cat including photos and price?
Kind Regards
Annette
annette108@gmail.com
annette108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 18:29   #17
d22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethk View Post
Hi, What is the boat brand and how old? I have recently sold my Bavaria 46 and we did exactly what you are asking. Purchased in Fiji, not taxed and reflagged to Australia. sailed down to NZ for summer, then back to Fiji then onto AUS. taxes paid in Australia after arrival and then took almost 2 years to sell. had listed the boat myself and had 3 brokers on it , so not that easy to shift.
I am currently in the market for a cat so drop me a line and we may be able to do a deal.
She s a Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 from Dec 2004.
d22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 18:36   #18
d22

Thanks for the advise, that was my first idea but it seems that it is exactly what nz customs do not like and are checking.
On the other hand some people advertise on trade me and have no issues. Some brokers also do not care about this GST paid before advertising, but they take no risk, the risk is for the owner....
Old 16-04-2017, 19:02   #19

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Advertise it in Australia, stating that it is currently located in NZ, NZ/Aus duty unpaid.
Potentially bad idea. For the boat to be in NZ, then the owner must have already made a statutory declaration to NZ Customs. Here's the NZ Customs view: A Temporary Import Entry (TIE) accounts for importing and later exporting goods that will remain in New Zealand temporarily. This is up to 24 months for small craft. If you qualify for a TIE, you won’t need to pay Customs charges. You will need to fill in a Temporary Import Entry for Yachts and Small Vessels form (Form C4G). By signing the declaration on the form, you agree that if your vessel doesn’t leave New Zealand by the stated date, then Customs charges will be paid, or the vessel may be seized.

So if the owner has decided not to press on with their voyage and is now planning to sell (and actively initiating that process as they seem to be doing from their comments above) then NZ Customs needs to be consulted not an online forum.

NZ is a small place it wont take Customs long to cotton on to the fact that a false declaration may have been made in respect to the OPs 2004 Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46. There won’t be many of those boats here in NZ.

Defrauding Customs is a serious offence and the OP could lose the boat, be given a significant fine and perhaps even receive a prison term.
Old 16-04-2017, 19:15   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Short story is - the various customs authorities do check, so you may as well ask them for advice and be very clear that you are considering your options, and you are gathering information before making a final decision.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 19:45   #21

Boat: looking for next boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by d22 View Post
She s a Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 from Dec 2004.
Keen for some more info, I have privately messaged you
Cheers Gareth
Garethk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 19:58   #22
d22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Short story is - the various customs authorities do check, so you may as well ask them for advice and be very clear that you are considering your options, and you are gathering information before making a final decision.
Thanks, this is what I have done in nz. I mentioned that I am in touch with nz customs already.
My question was also about catamaran market in both countries.
Old 16-04-2017, 22:58   #23

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Good to know guys, thanks!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 08:35   #24

Modest proposal... Get a slip in an Auckland marina and advertise it as water front "property" on any of the many Chinese foreign real estate web sites. Ask for $600k starting bid.
keelsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 03:27   #25
d22

Further to NZ customs answers, I think that StuM recommendation in right.
- I can advertise overseas if the boat is not offered for sell in nz
- I can pay a bond here in nz to advertise in nz but will be refunded if the boat does not sell or is sold to a non nz resident.
- GST is due only if I sell to NZ resident or wish to import the boat.
Thanks for your answers

Tags
Australia, catamaran