Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2017, 23:59   #1
d22

selling a catamaran - Australia or New Zeland ?

Hi,
We will soon advertise our boat for sale. We are from Europe and are not familiar with the local market, procedures, etc. We are in New Zeland but have been said that Australia might be a good place to sell. Do you have a recommendation ?
We preferably sell without a broaker. We know of trademe.com in nz, what would be the equivalent website in Australia ?

Thanks,
d22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 00:05   #2

Boat: TBA
Re: selling a catamaran - Australia or New Zeland ?

probably "gumtree.com.au" plenty of boats in the boating section
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 00:36   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Yes, Gumtree is free, but little used by dealers. They use one or all of the following:
Sell My Yacht, Boat, Marina Berth, & Boat Parts and Accessories | Yachthub
and this screen shows they have approx. 400 cats on their site for sale.
Used Boats & Used Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

This site following looks like or is the same as another one "Boatpoint"
New & Used Boat Sales - Find Boats For Sale Online - boatsales.com.au
they have 240 mulithulls on their 'books'
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-fo...ion=Refinement

By all means advertise broadly and maybe in more then one country. I think that most potential buyers are willing to travel for medium or higher priced boats. You always can add an offer that you willing to deliver or help deliver, either free or at a nominal cost.

If you are not based in NZ or Oz, and the boat is not imported in either country, it does not make much difference as new owners need to import the boat either way.

Otherwise you could decide the sell the boat in the biggest market. Not sure if that is Oz or NZ, population wise it is certainly Oz.
Old 16-04-2017, 01:05   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

One word of advice, if the boat is in Australia make sure it is imported and GST and duty paid before you advertise, failure to do so may result in deep sadness when you get hit with double duty and double GST. If in doubt ring Customs and ask them. Otherwise - good luck.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 02:39   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

How do taxes work for buyers in both New Zealand, as well as Australia? Particularly if one's passport if from elsewhere, & the boat won't necessarily be registered in one of those two countries.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 04:07   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, d22.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 06:55   #7

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
How do taxes work for buyers in both New Zealand, as well as Australia? Particularly if one's passport if from elsewhere, & the boat won't necessarily be registered in one of those two countries.
Don't know about NZ, but a boat that is placed for sale automatically attracts Tax if it has not already been taxed (this usually means the boat is in Australian waters and is then placed for sale) GST (Vat) is then charged also some other taxes but I'm unsure exactly of all these, have been told it is about 15% of the boats current value (current value is usually a fire sale price and as such can be lower in most instances than the actual sell price) many O'seas sellers leave boats on the pacific islands (un taxed) then advertise in Australia and then pay the tax if its sold to an Aussie to bring it home.

Maybe some of the crew will Know the EXACT details but I think I'm about right.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 08:13   #8

Boat: Boatless

We did this.

PM me for details.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 08:23   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

So then if a boat's Australian flagged, but purchased by a foreigner, are the buyers then obligated to pay tax in Austraila on it? And what if they intend to flag it in their home country? Also, is VAT there a one time thing as it is in some places, or is it due every time the boat is sold?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 08:45   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
So then if a boat's Australian flagged, but purchased by a foreigner, are the buyers then obligated to pay tax in Austraila on it? And what if they intend to flag it in their home country? Also, is VAT there a one time thing as it is in some places, or is it due every time the boat is sold?
Not quite

If the boat is in Australia already, i.e. been built here or fully imported etc, then the GST (10%) and Duty (if applicable (5%) has already been paid. There is no GST on a used boat THAT HAS ALREADY HAD TAX PAID being sold.

The being flagged in Australia is of no consequence to TAX situation. If the boat is being sold IN AUSTRALIA the owner damn well had better have paid the GST and duty if applicable, if they have then the buyer has no issue. If the boat is being sold outside of Australia, no issue, unless the owner wants to import it to Australia.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 10:25   #11

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by d22 View Post
Hi,
We will soon advertise our boat for sale. We are from Europe and are not familiar with the local market, procedures, etc. We are in New Zealand but have been said that Australia might be a good place to sell. Do you have a recommendation?

The OP says they’re from Europe so presumably have sailed to NZ and at entry gained an import exemption (24 month limit); so no GST or duty or any sort will have been paid. In order to gain that exemption the OP must have signed a statutory declaration that the boat won’t be sold in NZ.

Before putting for sale signs on the boat the OP needs to contact NZ Customs to discuss. Advice on a forum like this is speculative at best.

In NZ GST and duty are due when the boat is imported not just when you feel like paying it. And if not paid Customs may seize the boat and hold it till payment is made (plus costs).

GST is 15% and duty is 5% and NZ Customs certainly don’t use fire sale prices in the assessment. They’ll want a valuation and will watch the sale process.
Old 16-04-2017, 13:16   #12
d22

Thanks for these informations. Indeed I have to pay taxes here in NZ if I want to advertise, still speaking with customs but I think that if someone not from NZ is buying the boat, or if it does not sell, we will get taxes refund.
If you know the local market, what is the most likely to happen: a NZ buys in NZ taxes paid, an Australian buys in NZ to leave the boat without taxes, or an Australian buys the boat here or in Australia and wants to import the boat in Australia?
Thanks
d22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 14:27   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

d22

This is just an opinion, but here's how i see it. Both places you will have to import the boat before it can be sold.

There is a huge market for catamarans in Australia. Perhaps that is also true in NZ, but the Catana we looked at (here in Oz) had been refit beautifully in NZ, but put in Oz for sale. Just consider the difference in the populations between the two countries.

Once you find out what the valuation of the boat is, you will be able to calculate the import costs and compare them. Then you just have to decide where you think it will sell better.

Flights across the Tasman for potential customers work both ways. However, if a Kiwi buys your boat with Australian duty paid, he's still going to have to pay Kiwi import; and, if he wants to take it offshore, he will have to upgrade it to Cat 1, if it isn't already there.

If you already have a buyer lined up, sell it where you are.

Ann

On edit: another place to consider selling it would be New Caledonia. There is also a market there, but I don't know about the import costs there at all.
Old 16-04-2017, 14:40   #14

Boat: looking for next boat

Hi, What is the boat brand and how old? I have recently sold my Bavaria 46 and we did exactly what you are asking. Purchased in Fiji, not taxed and reflagged to Australia. sailed down to NZ for summer, then back to Fiji then onto AUS. taxes paid in Australia after arrival and then took almost 2 years to sell. had listed the boat myself and had 3 brokers on it , so not that easy to shift.
I am currently in the market for a cat so drop me a line and we may be able to do a deal.
Garethk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 15:31   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Advertise it in Australia, stating that it is currently located in NZ, NZ/Aus duty unpaid.

Many Kiwis will still see the ad as will potential buyers in other countries. You can then arrange for the sale to take place in whatever location suits the buyer.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, catamaran