Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2008, 10:55   #1
JB

Selling a boat in the Caribbean

Does anyone have any experience, pros or cons on selling a boat in the Caribbean? We are in the Grenadines now, and will probably lay up again during hurricane season in Trinidad. We're thinking the time may have come to sell the boat - a fully found Caliber 47LRC - and move on to other things. I can think of lots of reasons to buy a boat here, not the least is saving the hassle of getting here, but having never sold a boat before I'm not too sure if folks would want to travel to Trinidad to check out a prospective purchase. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 11:49   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
JB - As one both in the market for a new boat in the Caribbean and selling one as well I would recommend having the boat in a more accessible location. I think the only boats that are easily sold in more remote location are the premium ones (Oyster,Swan,Hallberg-Rassy,etc.) or models that are rare/specialty. But most of the buyers want to get a short list of boats put together on the internet then fly out and see them all at the same time in one trip. T&T is a bit out there. When I was looking last time I hadn't decided on a particular make or model and pretty much ignored anything south of Antigua unless it looked really promising. And I think I am going about doing the same things this time around as well.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 12:00   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If the boat is US-flagged, selling it in the US can be much more attractive to a US buyer because they know the entire transaction is covered by US domestic laws. And I'd expect there are a lot more buyers in Floirda (Miami or FLL perhaps) than those who will be willing to fly down to Trinidad or one of the islands.

Of course keeping the boat where YOU are located, so you can ensure it is kept clean and attractive during the offering, is worth something too.

You might ask some local brokers what they would price it for sale at, then ask again in Florida, or Annapolis...and see if there's a difference big enough to influence you.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 12:50   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I would go north to St. Maarten to sell the boat. I bought my boat through Bay Island Yachts on the Dutch side. Lots of traffic, and boats for sale here.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 13:02   #5

Just my $0.02:

When I see a cruising boat in Hawaii or the Carib, I instantly think "okay, here's someone trying to get out from under this boat because their cruising plan didn't work for them... I bet I can really angle the price on this one."

Maybe I'm the only guy that thinks that way, but in general it would have to be a pretty spectacular vessel for me to go outside of 500 miles to find it.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 13:09   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
... I'd expect there are a lot more buyers in Floirda (Miami or FLL perhaps) than those who will be willing to fly down to Trinidad or one of the islands.
Of course keeping the boat where YOU are located, so you can ensure it is kept clean and attractive during the offering, is worth something too.
You might ask some local brokers what they would price it for sale at, then ask again in Florida, or Annapolis...and see if there's a difference big enough to influence you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
… I would recommend having the boat in a more accessible location. I think the only boats that are easily sold in more remote location are the premium ones (Oyster,Swan,Hallberg-Rassy,etc.) or models that are rare/specialty. But most of the buyers want to get a short list of boats put together on the internet then fly out and see them all at the same time in one trip ...
Both good advice. After location, presentation is everything else.

A well-found Caliber 47LRC should get some serious attention, from
knowledgeable buyers.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 13:10   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'd expect there are a lot more buyers in Floirda (Miami or FLL perhaps) than those who will be willing to fly down to Trinidad or one of the islands.

Yeah! We found it very expensive to fly to St Maarten! We needed a return airfare - which we didnt know about so it cost us $600 at the airport, so airfares alone well over $1,000. We are getting a refund but its LESS taxes of about $80 per ticket. It sux big time.

Just my thoughts:

Ft Lauderdale would be my choice to look for a boat becuse you can 'hub' out of there for anywhere east coast USA, plus gulf of mexico.

The other thing about T&T or other areas down there is that its the 'end of the line' buyers think you need to sell the boat because you can't/won't get it back home. I'd be offering low ball prices hoping you had to sell

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 14:40   #8

You are not selling a boat, you are selling a cruising location with the boat fully ready to cruise in "the islands mon". That will bring you a premium and the market is the European customer. Been there, done that.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 16:11   #9
JB

Great Input

Thanks to all. A few comments - we've been cruising down here since 2001 - sailed her down through the Thorny Path and down the island chain. So, the cruising thing has actually worked quite well for us - no urgency to bail, but life does go on.
We're looking at sailing back to the states, and doing the thing there. It is just such hard work getting down here that I thought old farts (like me) might want someone to have done all the hard work for them! Plus, it is really inexpensive to lay the boat up in Trinidad, it has great (cheap) services and a robust cruiser social life, that I thought that might be an attractive option for newby cruisers.
So, the thinking goes on!
JB
Old 11-04-2008, 15:58   #10

Price?

JB, What are you asking for the boat and do you have pictures, layout, etc.?
sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 13:56   #11

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I would agree that boat and location can be a significant factor. Many don't have the time or desire to get a boat to a great location from the US. IMHO sailing a boat up and down the ditch isn't really what it is about and crossing the Gulf Stream to meet a vacation or somewhat extended cruise schedule is not a fun thing. If you have all the time in the world then that would be OK.

For many of us, having our boat in a location that allows us to do some great cruising after a one day flight is really nice. I fly into my boats location in the BVI and sleep on her the first night in. Generally ready to do by mid day. With advanced airfare you can really save on trip cost allowing more money to play with.

Locating the boat in a central cruising ground for the type people that would use your type boat should be considered prior to moving her thousands of miles and having her compete with a larger number of boats in a slowing market. The US's Florida boat market is tracking along with real estate and if your unlucky enough to have to fuel guzzler... you about have to give those away or pay thousands in slip fees as you wait months/ years for a buyer.
Old 24-05-2008, 16:01   #12
JB

Caliber 47 LRC in Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
JB - As one both in the market for a new boat in the Caribbean and selling one as well I would recommend having the boat in a more accessible location. I think the only boats that are easily sold in more remote location are the premium ones (Oyster,Swan,Hallberg-Rassy,etc.) or models that are rare/specialty. But most of the buyers want to get a short list of boats put together on the internet then fly out and see them all at the same time in one trip. T&T is a bit out there. When I was looking last time I hadn't decided on a particular make or model and pretty much ignored anything south of Antigua unless it looked really promising. And I think I am going about doing the same things this time around as well.
Thanks for your comments. Actually Port of Spain is easier to get to than the BVI for some folks! A direct flight on Continental from Houston or Newark and other cities! Caliber 47 LRC's are quite unique and do have a following. At this time there is one brand new one for sale and 2 used ones..quite different. We'll give it a try in Trinidad and see if it works! Good luck with your sale and purchase! Cheers, JB

Tags
Caribbean