Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 11:50   #46

Re: Retire now & go cruising or THIS is what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
For most people, retirement is not even a consideration - financially speaking. Its not their fault most of the time, its just the way their life went based on a lifetime of choices and upbringing. To be able to sit around and "be a parker" sounds pretty darn good to them.

We should consider ourselves the lucky ones. Or maybe unlucky because we know how good it can be and when it goes sideways, we lose out more.

Does that sound cocky?
Very humorous seeing all these posts by folks who really do not have a clue what old age is like. Kind of like listening to my great grand kids talk about what they are going to do as adults(buy lots of toys is one desire). Its way different than most of you surmise. Even with tons of money most oldsters want the freedom to live life at their own pace; which turns out to be way slower than most other folks'. Sitting on the veranda in a comfy chair with a gin tonic in hand, watching sailboats working offshore is what most old sailors appreciate; not sweating away hauling lines, getting soaked, and generally smelling of diesel fumes.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:57   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Very humorous seeing all these posts by folks who really do not have a clue what old age is like. Kind of like listening to my great grand kids talk about what they are going to do as adults(buy lots of toys is one desire). Its way different than most of you surmise. Even with tons of money most oldsters want the freedom to live life at their own pace; which turns out to be way slower than most other folks'. Sitting on the veranda in a comfy chair with a gin tonic in hand, watching sailboats working offshore is what most old sailors appreciate; not sweating away hauling lines, getting soaked, and generally smelling of diesel fumes.

One reason I am retiring "early" I'll be 58, cause truth be known, I don't have near the desire to do work like I used to, Used to I would have gone down to work on the boat and knocked out three of four projects, working late into the night, now I'm happy if I complete one.

I can see how eventually I just wont, want to anymore, or I hope it works that way anyway.
I heard an interesting statistic years ago, that was the average life span of a Career Military retiring after 30 yrs service was like five years. The theory was that they went from a very high level of activity, to one of fishing or just sitting.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:58   #48

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post
I want to get out of here but my wife keeps wanting to buy more cr*p for the house. Doubting the commitment level.
OK, so I woke up in a despondent mood, and while what I said is true, SHE is the one who is forcing me to clean out my office so we can turn the house into a vacation rental and allow us to cruise the Caribbean. I'm every bit as much to blame.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:10   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
One reason I am retiring "early" I'll be 58, cause truth be known, I don't have near the desire to do work like I used to, Used to I would have gone down to work on the boat and knocked out three of four projects, working late into the night, now I'm happy if I complete one.

I can see how eventually I just wont, want to anymore, or I hope it works that way anyway.
I heard an interesting statistic years ago, that was the average life span of a Career Military retiring after 30 yrs service was like five years. The theory was that they went from a very high level of activity, to one of fishing or just sitting.
Funny how twenty years ago research showed those who retired early lived longer. Now with an impending labor shortage, "new" research, supported by the US Chamber of Commerce shows working till you are really old helps promote longevity. My experience is that relatively young folks who retired and went off into whatever retirement dreams had significantly better vital statistics such as blood pressure, blood sugar levels, etc than those who were working into their 70s.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:17   #50

Boat: Catalina 30

I turn 60 next month and can't decide whether pulling the trigger is financial suicide, ("there is nothing more pathetic than an old person without money" Simon & Garfunkel Voices of Old People), or if keeping my MOST EXCELLENT job is just slow poison.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:25   #51

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

There is so much funny in that ad! Well, not really. At least in NY "state" we're all rooted by NYC.

Now, that guy on the bench probably doesn't have enough cash to buy a boat to get to NJ, much less the Carib.

Sure, why not just go? Well, there is the question: what if you run out of money?

A medevac may cost you US$100,000. That's a lot of savings eaten up. And if you can't cover it, you either die or somebody else gets stuck with the bill.

There's the catch-22...when to retire and leave? Joe Average runs a serious risk of running out of money before the end. And when Joe runs out of money, we all pick up the tab.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 13:31   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Retire now & go cruising or THIS is what happens!

We all or almost all of us run out of money. The system is made that way. Honestly, you or your spouse gets diseased, the insurance you have won't cover treatment as its experimental and you either give the System everything you have and hope it's enough, or you watch your spouse die, or more likely you bankrupt yourselves first, then watch your spouse die.

My great hope is that we will live cheaper in a boat than we do on land. If we don't, then my great experiment won't work.
I've been running through all our bills, and way I figure it, we could live in a nice posh marina cheaper than in a house, and I assume cruise cheaper than that nice posh marina?
Marina costs aren't that hard to determine, but cruising, I guess you have to go out and do it to find out. Longest we have been gone is three weeks, that gives us a taste, but it's not cruising.
I figure after the first year then I'll have a handle on the pervasive "how much does it cost"
I've read everything I can find over the last three years about it, and find it difficult to believe what I read, but unless it is a conspiracy, you can cruise for less than living on land.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-08-2016, 14:07   #53
CLOD

Boat: none

I've been frozen to the computer for 2 days trying to figure this Aussie "parked" joke.
Old 08-08-2016, 14:29   #54

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
I'm 60. Mid week I ran 2.5 miles, did some pull ups and pushups, then went back to work. (it's my weekly exercise routine) After work, I stopped by the boat and charged the batteries. Which means I plugged the alligator clip on the positive post of one of my batteries from the solar controller and had a few beers.

Friday went over to the house 70 miles north and worked on the yard and the ac unit. Back this afternoon to sail but the wind is light so I'll do something else at the apartment or around town plus visit the boat later.
I'm sure I'm not as fit as you (although I ran the Marine Corp Marathon when I turned 30). But I'm also 60 and a busy guy as well. And I have a lifetime of stuff I need to sell or giveaway. And still have a 15 year old living with my ex. And a brother who needs assistance which requires the house. And a job that pays too much to quit with 6 weeks of leave a year.

So because of all this and much more, I have decided to work until I die. My job is interesting enough and allows me to work out of the home, where I end up working 50 hours a week, but it also buys me some freedom (I can work from the boat for example).

I find I also enjoy the freedom of the automobile (and other forms of modern transportation). If a new restaurant opens 100 miles away, I simply jump in the car and go. If there is a good show at the Kennedy center, I buy tickets and go. If my kids want yet another trip to the beach or Disney, off we go. Having a job allows a level of variety that full time cruising (on a budget) cannot provide.

Owning a home can certainly be a burdensome anchor, but a car is certainly faster than a dinghy and until you finally get rid of 40+ years of clutter, it gives you a place to keep your stuff. It also becomes a home port on solid ground from which to plan your next adventure. An adventure that might not include the boat. But to each his own.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 14:35   #55

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

A bio thread?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 14:42   #56

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I moved on-board 5 years ago and continued to work. My marina fees are a small fraction of what rent or mortgage payment for a 1 bedroom apartment would be so I've saved more money that ever before... In a few months I'm eligible for US Social Security and intend to cast-off. To those of you who think over 50 years of age is too old to cruise, I say... It'll be to old for YOU to cruise. My old friends and I sail, snow ski, ride bikes, climb mountains, fish, hike, you name it. I don't intend to die in a hospital, in an adult care home, or on a park bench...
Old 08-08-2016, 14:48   #57
CLOD

Boat: none

It's not my age, ..................................... it's my knees! But I'm not going to let that stop me and I bet I'm not alone.
Old 08-08-2016, 14:51   #58

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
I think Ill take that as you ment to put in lots of "I" statements. The folk I know that are 70+ or nearly 70 are the busy ones! My moms BF learned to guide white water rafts at 70. That means he is the oars man. My Aunt is over 90 and still lives alone and volunteers at the old folks home...thats what she calls it!
Mom mom is 68 and still goes on week long backbacking trips on wildeness permits. She carrys her own weight and thinks a 20 mile day is "moderate". No one is slowing down here.
Gin and tonic on the verandah? Maybe after they come home from their adventures while they plan rhe next one.
Old 08-08-2016, 15:07   #59

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Now I understand why you call sailing an aerobic exercise.

Yes, we hopefully will all one day get to sit on the veranda in a comfy chair and watch whatever ( I like to watch the deer in the fields) but the thing is at what age is that enjoyable.

55 or 85?

Btw, I stopped by the boat today and caught dinner on the way home and there was a cruiser on a maybe 45' sailboat across the creek sitting in his cockpit watching. I think he had some frozen food at the restaurant that was trucked in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01996.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	129161  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 15:32   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A lot of it is genetics, sort of you have to play the hand you were dealt, cause that is just the way it is, life isn't fair. Some are born with what we all think of as beautiful bodies, and stay that way until late in life, the rest of us weren't.
Like Smokers, there are a few that have all their lives and even at a decent old age are still in good shape, but they are the outliers, not mainstream.

If you won the genetic lottery, celebrate, have fun, but don't try to act as those of us that didn't are either inferior, lazy or not worthy, cause it's just not that way.
I too will go with sort of destroyed knees, but I think I'm going to ride them until I can't stand it anymore, then get the new models.
Heck this week I was told I had high blood pressure, 145 over 85 or so, and I have never had high blood pressure, so off the arthritis mess I go, cause the Doc says they might be causing the high blood pressure.

I'm telling you growing old is not for wimps

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
cruising