Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 15:58   #61

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Retire now & go cruising or THIS is what happens!

Don't know the answers either a64, but I'm off now, learning by doing. My only home for the past year has been our boat. So far we're 1/2 time on the boat and 1/2 doing something else (b/c the water turns hard in the Great Lakes).

We have some savings, minimal investments, and some ability to make small amounts of money along the way (scribe-for-hire here). Mainly we just spend a lot less than when we owned a land home (or perhaps it owned us). So far we're making it work.

I look at that ad Mark posted as yet another pathetic lie told to us by the leaches who live off our life blood. The bankers, the financial advisors, the wealth managers ... Take your money, put it into a good boat, and go live till you die.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 08-08-2016, 16:45   #62

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

A64 I dont mean to imply that anyone is inferior if they dont live up to my great aunt or my mom. More that some amount of "parking" is just accepting what you beieve you are supposed to do at retirement.

Sure, ill health forces the issue for some. But, looking around me, attitude seems to be the bigger driving factor. Basically the people I know who live a long life, they arent parking. They are engaging in all kinds of activities mental and physical.
Old 08-08-2016, 17:04   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I understand, I wasn't saying you thought yourself superior, just pointing out that not all of us are blessed with good genes.
My Mother died in her early 60s, my Father made it to his mid seventies and my Brother I think he was 60. My Mother and Father had lots of warning, poor health for years before death, so if you can maintain your health, great, some of us follow the rules and still go to pot, some don't, smoke and drink too much, yet still enjoy good health.
However I am of the opinion that if you wait to you retire to where the goal is to take life easy, you won't last long, if you retire to start an adventure, even if it doesn't require the physical strength and stamina of marathon running, you may well last longer. We know that keeping the mind engaged and problem solving staves off mental degradation, I think the same for trying to maintain an activity level, even if it isn't all that high, I agree not much aerobic about sailing, I even admit to using a Milwaukee drill to raise the main.
Plus I have become to hate my job, I used to enjoy it, I made a difference, but now it's run by an idiot with a big ego, and he will tear it down, matter of time. So I'm leaving as soon as I can, wife is going along somewhat reluctantly. I know her idea is mainstream, I am supposed to work until I am 65, then life is supposed to consist of playing in the yard and going out to eat.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:09   #64

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Don't know the answers either a64, but I'm off now, learning by doing. My only home for the past year has been our boat. So far we're 1/2 time on the boat and 1/2 doing something else (b/c the water turns hard in the Great Lakes).

We have some savings, minimal investments, and some ability to make small amounts of money along the way (scribe-for-hire here). Mainly we just spend a lot less than when we owned a land home (or perhaps it owned us). So far we're making it work.

I look at that ad Mark posted as yet another pathetic lie told to us by the leaches who live off our life blood. The bankers, the financial advisors, the wealth managers ... Take your money, put it into a good boat, and go live till you die.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
ABSOLUTELY! They are invested in keeping us working.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:37   #65

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We all or almost all of us run out of money. The system is made that way. Honestly, you or your spouse gets diseased, the insurance you have won't cover treatment as its experimental and you either give the System everything you have and hope it's enough, or you watch your spouse die, or more likely you bankrupt yourselves first, then watch your spouse die.

My great hope is that we will live cheaper in a boat than we do on land. If we don't, then my great experiment won't work.
I've been running through all our bills, and way I figure it, we could live in a nice posh marina cheaper than in a house, and I assume cruise cheaper than that nice posh marina?
Marina costs aren't that hard to determine, but cruising, I guess you have to go out and do it to find out. Longest we have been gone is three weeks, that gives us a taste, but it's not cruising.
I figure after the first year then I'll have a handle on the pervasive "how much does it cost"
I've read everything I can find over the last three years about it, and find it difficult to believe what I read, but unless it is a conspiracy, you can cruise for less than living on land.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hi A64, you can live cheaper cruising than on land although some don't. It also depends on where you choose to cruise.
Ive just reached Thailand, haven't been here for 3 years and things have gone up abit. Im currently in a marina, its not a cheap marina but still under half what it costs to rent a home (Australia) or less than the average morgage. I swim in the 50m pool first thing in the morning then go and get my eggs benedict and salmon plus capacino, this costs approx $7aud, at home thats $20+. Not that I'm staying long, but as I was swimming the other morning I realized I could live here in the marina, eating out every meal for less than 20kaud/year. I spend more than that back home.
You can spend more if you choose. I just got a quote from an Australian firm here to grind my boot stripe off, epoxy and repaint, it came in at $4600aud, I then asked around and the local Thai company that others recommended quoted me $930 aud and his work is guaranteed.
You can live expensively cruising if you choose or quite comfortably with out spending more. Others I know here will disagree but I believe there are dimishing returns in satifaction and happiness regarding more. If I spend 40k here a year instead of 20k I wouldn't be twice as happy, I'd just get fatter.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:46   #66

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Don't be too worried about old age. It doesn't last long.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:53   #67

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Sheeple are hardwired by fear: fear of failure, fear of dying, fear of the unknown, fear of loneliness, fear of destitution, fear of commitment. . . fearful to leave the herd. The advertisement sums this up very well--a man who has succeeded in life ,according to society's dictates, has claimed his well-earned spot on the park bench. It is what he deserves. It was his choice. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:20   #68

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post

The days are long and the years fly by.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:37   #69

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post

Growing older sure beats the alternative...
Old 09-08-2016, 10:46   #70

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Growing older sure beats the alternative...
That can become a matter of opinion.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:17   #71

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Built and sailed for many years. Decided on my 70'th birthday to not come down the forestay hand o'r hand just to impress the lady passengers. Then the surprise heart virus,, That just changes everything quick. Now I'm putting the final touches on a big addition and dormer of a Cape Cod cottage and keeping ahead of my rental properties and Airb'nBee's. Time now for the occasional G n T on the porch .(of all the professions, apparently teachers get to enjoy the least time "retired' before kicking off. Maybe loss of purpose and identity beyond the job.) I quit that because of the only 2 months off in summer cut into cruising.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:26   #72

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Sheeple are hardwired by fear: fear of failure, fear of dying, fear of the unknown, fear of loneliness, fear of destitution, fear of commitment. . . fearful to leave the herd. The advertisement sums this up very well--a man who has succeeded in life ,according to society's dictates, has claimed his well-earned spot on the park bench. It is what he deserves. It was his choice. Good luck and safe sailing.
Actually the guy in the picture appears to be the type that would rather spend his time around family, grandchildren etc, rather than alone on an ocean sailing......and working on his boat

It has nothing to do with fear. It has to do with choice.

As far as fear of loneliness etc, that simply doesn't affect some of us. It has to do with how you were brought up.

For example, those of us that had working parents grew up alone so that's not a big deal to us. It also teaches self reliance
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 13:56   #73

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Iyamwhatiyam:

As long as you and your good lady wife are making progress towards the planned exit, don't worry. I personally found it a little heartbreaking to turn my back forever on the house in which i raised my family, and for me, there were lots of kitchen items I'd saved for that had memories attached. Lots of people have something in their homes that resonate emotionally for them. I also liked that house, itself.

It's a little odd because you have a plan and know you are going to execute it, and yet, you sort of drag your feet. If you own up to whatever "going away forever" feelings you and she have, and get on with the job, it will work out fine, but going through the process of feeling the feelings instead of pushing them away, well, that's what works for me.

Ann
Old 09-08-2016, 14:36   #74

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Ann
You have the right of it! My BF is dragging his feet over the sentimental attachments he has to his house, the little do dads his kids gave him, just so many things!
He even had me paint the posts where his kids marked their growth. Of course he wants to go, he is just apprehensive because he does not know if the memories these things embody will be there when he wants them.
Old 09-08-2016, 15:08   #75
CLOD

Boat: none

I will admit that getting rid of long held "stuff" isn't as easy as it sounds. Seems I have to thrown it away in steps. The steps are getting closer together.

Tags
cruising