Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 10:16   #1

Resurrecting the Dream ? Land for Boat Trade ?

Hello All,

Like many out there I was counting on equity in my home and stock based investments to fund my dream of cruising. The unfortunate events of the last few years had caused me to accept that I will not be able to afford the boat I had planned and that I will probably have to work 15 years longer than I had planned. I had started to give up on the dream of cruising.

Maybe there is hope... Last night my Wife suggested that maybe we could trade the land that was to be our "home base" for a boat and adjust our original plan from 80/20 sailing/working to something closer to 50/50. This would likely mean a notably leaner retirement. Perhaps it's worth it?

To those who have gone before me I would ask: Is giving up a certain measure of financial security in your later years too great a price to pay to live the cruising dream?

How about the land for boat trade idea? The lot is 1/3acre with 70' frontage on a beautiful creek/river and lots of trees about 70 miles from Seattle.

The idea of setting out without solid and secure retirement retirement finances as well as giving up a land based home of any sort is quite scary.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Steve
mohave_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46   #2

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor
Re: Resurecting the dream? Land for boat trade?

My wife and I struggled with some of these same questions years ago, and decided to go sailing. That was the only way we could see to find definitive answers. We've been cruising full time now for 11 years with no regrets, and no "land base" to worry about.

I just published a book, ""Dungda de Islan'," that outlines some of our experiences. It's out in various ebook formats; some may be free downloads, still, although that's going to change in the near term. A paperback will be out soon. Check the links on the blog. There are also a couple of pages on the blog that describe our early experiences with giving up our dependence on dirt. Look for the links titled "From our old web page."

The cruising life is great if it suits both of you. Tolerance for uncertainty is certainly required, but that's not unique to cruising.

Good luck!
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Resurecting the dream? Land for boat trade?

Have not your experiences to date proved to that there's no such thing as 'Security'.... its a word invented by folks out to screw you...
Pension fund/Insurance/Bank/Government... show me one that lives up to its promise....
Just get on with life....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 22:54   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohave_steve View Post
Hello All,
. . . To those who have gone before me I would ask: Is giving up a certain measure of financial security in your later years too great a price to pay to live the cruising dream?

How about the land for boat trade idea? The lot is 1/3acre with 70' frontage on a beautiful creek/river and lots of trees about 70 miles from Seattle.
. . . Steve
The the first question - IMHO the answer is Yes, it is too much a price to pay. If you are comfortable accepting an impoverished lifestyle in your later years then going now is fine. The cruising lifestyle is full of opportunities to lose everything, boat, health, and your life. It does not happen often but if you are the one whose "number is up" it can be disastrous.
- - Some form of later in life "security" planning or ability is a wise choice. Some folks are fine with living without asset protection insurance and/or without health care insurance. Others are not.
- - As to trading land for a boat you are not going to bypass the current depressed value of the land/house, as it is and will be for the next few years. However, if you can find somebody on an acceptable boat that has no choice but to return to land life then maybe the swap would be beneficial to both. Boat prices are also quite depressed and will be until the "good days" return again.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Resurrecting the Dream ? Land for Boat Trade ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohave_steve View Post
... To those who have gone before me I would ask: Is giving up a certain measure of financial security in your later years too great a price to pay to live the cruising dream? ...
To those of us with more modest means, it's the only way possible.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:52   #6

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

You know, there could be another way. Shoot me down if this sounds stupid, but...

Land dwellers can sometimes only afford to get to sea through a boat-share, it works if there's a good structure to provide a fair legal framework, and people trust each other. With vacation home time-share it seldom works because middle men get involved and want to take their share, and then end up controlling it. The actual concept of time-share is a good one, but as I say it only works if it's between time-share owners who can trust each other. It was the way of the past in many families, and still is with some.

It could be a way for a like-minded group of live-aboards to keep a 'pied a terre' at relatively little individual cost. If the group was a good one it could be fun too.

Just thoughts...
pillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 14:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
The the first question - IMHO the answer is Yes, it is too much a price to pay. If you are comfortable accepting an impoverished lifestyle in your later years then going now is fine. The cruising lifestyle is full of opportunities to lose everything, boat, health, and your life. It does not happen often but if you are the one whose "number is up" it can be disastrous.
- - Some form of later in life "security" planning or ability is a wise choice. Some folks are fine with living without asset protection insurance and/or without health care insurance. Others are not.
- - As to trading land for a boat you are not going to bypass the current depressed value of the land/house, as it is and will be for the next few years. However, if you can find somebody on an acceptable boat that has no choice but to return to land life then maybe the swap would be beneficial to both. Boat prices are also quite depressed and will be until the "good days" return again.

Thanks for the responses!
That is really at the root of my questions:

" If you are comfortable accepting an impoverished lifestyle in your later years then going now is fine."

I had a financial plan for early retirement in place that has failed. If I continue to slave for another 17 years I can still retire in moderate comfort. Unless of course I suffer through another financial catasrophy (sp?), loss of health or some other unforseen loss that can occur on land just as it can at sea. My alternative is to accept the "impoverished lifestyle" in my later years and start planning my escape now.

Several years ago I worked a job that caused me to travel extensively around the US (in my RV) spending anywhere from a few days to a month or two in any givin location working on a project. When the tech sector faltered the projects became fewer and farther between. I wound up cruising around the country for six years stopping to work when I could and then continuing on to see new places. It was an adventure that I hated to see end. I don't see cruising as entirely different. Perhaps fewer income oportunities along the way and MUCH lower fuel costs.

The big question: Who among you has accepted a substantially more modest retirement lifestyle in order to go cruising sooner and would you make the same decision again?

Thanks Everyone!
mohave_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:11   #8

Boat: Marine Trader, Sun Deck 38'

05/12/15 I have land in Western North Carolina, Asheville area. 12 acres I would like to trade all or part for a sailboat. Tax value is 10k per acre. Also I have a 1 acre lot in Sebastian Fl that I would trade. 78k. sailcay@yahoo.com
sailcay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:40   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

This thread does interest me as I see the potential trade from the opposite side. Trading my boat for something ashore, but not to gain security. I've never thought my liveaboard vessel was less secure, but I have always been one to plan ahead.

My wife and I are leaving in the morning for a cruise northbound from Florida. We're not done yet, but I know that after 43 years aboard our three boats, health will eventually move us to shore. Nancie has glaucoma and increasing difficulty with stairs.

We are accustomed to "small". I can't imagine acres of land, but a little place near necessities. We have often passed this place on the water that appears to be the right size for those moving from a boat!

...... but it's on an island, has stairs and is too far from a grocery store!

We've often thought that the perfect house ashore would be a couple of those utility sheds linked together that you see outside the Home Depot stores!

We can't know our future, but I do know that our life aboard has a limit!