Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2010, 16:41   #1

Profitable Ownership of Cruisers Forum ?

I just read this in another thread about making money while cruising. Is it correct that this website we are on is a for-profit, business venture? I am interested to know who owns this site, and benefits from the profit? Nothing negative intended by the question, I just would like to know. Frankly, I think it's cool.

Originally Posted by maxingout:
"I would like to know how those writers pull in $40k writing and creating websites. Monetizing a website other than through advertisements is hard for me to imagine. ..."

Reply by idpnd:
"The very site you're writing on, for instance, is probably extremely profitable."
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 16:48   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Jim,
I own two different websites in partnership and both bring in funds.. the funds are gained from the sales of advertisement on the upper or side bars and is based on the volumn of peope going through the site each day..
On this site, somneone is paying to have that advertisement on the upper bar..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 21:47   #3
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Cruisers Forum is owned by Social Knowledge, a small company who specializes in managing and fostering online communities on various topics. I started my first online forum community in 2002 and founded Social Knowledge in 2005. Online forum communities are interesting types of sites because they are high page view sites (require lots of server resources) and low click through rate (less earnings per page). The Google ads are easy to implement but don't make as much as selling directly to advertisers.

There are so many types of websites and each has it's own pluses and minuses when it comes to operating one as a business. Content sites such as articles often obtain MUCH higher rates but they typically get much lower page views and have less addicted members. Blogs have more regular members and fall somewhere in the middle. Forums have tons of addicted members but since they are participating in discussion they rarely click which drives down the amount you can make from the advertisements.

It's definitely possible to make a living with digital media while traveling. I spent almost 5 years on a journey to 6 continents (not sailing) staying in mostly lower cost of living countries and building Social Knowledge from my laptop. Lowering my cost of living was key to being able to survive while trying to get the ball rolling. In the last 5 years the market has evolved a lot and there is more competition but at the same time there is more demand. IMO, if someone has experience with web design, application development, SEO and marketing, it's worth a try to build a site that turns a profit.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 02:22   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Hi Andy…..Could we use a term other than “addicted”…? I’m feeling kind of guilty.

How about… “Committed”
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 03:40   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Cruisers Forum is owned by Social Knowledge, a small company who specializes in managing and fostering online communities on various topics. I started my first online forum community in 2002 and founded Social Knowledge in 2005. Online forum communities are interesting types of sites because they are high page view sites (require lots of server resources) and low click through rate (less earnings per page). The Google ads are easy to implement but don't make as much as selling directly to advertisers.

There are so many types of websites and each has it's own pluses and minuses when it comes to operating one as a business. Content sites such as articles often obtain MUCH higher rates but they typically get much lower page views and have less addicted members. Blogs have more regular members and fall somewhere in the middle. Forums have tons of addicted members but since they are participating in discussion they rarely click which drives down the amount you can make from the advertisements.

It's definitely possible to make a living with digital media while traveling. I spent almost 5 years on a journey to 6 continents (not sailing) staying in mostly lower cost of living countries and building Social Knowledge from my laptop. Lowering my cost of living was key to being able to survive while trying to get the ball rolling. In the last 5 years the market has evolved a lot and there is more competition but at the same time there is more demand. IMO, if someone has experience with web design, application development, SEO and marketing, it's worth a try to build a site that turns a profit.
Well, my hat's off to you. You created a really great thing here, and the fact that you instantly replied to this shows you have your hands on.

I also applaud the fact that the advertising is not obtrusive -- no popups or anything blatant, unlike other online communities I belong to.

Cheers and good luck to you!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 04:17   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
IIRC this site was originally created by a couple who were doing a circum, and that social knowledge took over about 5 years ago.
Old 18-04-2010, 09:59   #7

Andy -
Thank you for the straight-forward reply. I now intend to go check out the other forums under your auspices. But, they cant be as good as this one, now can they?

Best,
Jim

~
Old 18-04-2010, 09:59   #8

Boat: Currently boatless
Any time someone can make something useful for others to enjoy for free and simultaneously turn a profit - sounds fantastic to me.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 10:07   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Any time someone can make something useful for others to enjoy for free and simultaneously turn a profit - sounds fantastic to me.
I agree with you on that, Livia, and I hope it's true for your excellent work, as well: The Interview With A Cruiser Project.

TaoJones
Old 18-04-2010, 10:19   #10
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
IIRC this site was originally created by a couple who were doing a circum, and that social knowledge took over about 5 years ago.
That's correct, Gisle from Norway was the cruiser who sailed a Fountaine Pajot was the founder of the site. SK adopted the site in 2005. Gord posted the history somewhere on here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
The ad supported internet has brought tremendous innovation and tools to billions of people for free. Just think of all the ad supported sites like Google,, facebook, newspapers, forums, blogs, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
Thank you for the straight-forward reply. I now intend to go check out the other forums under your auspices. But, they cant be as good as this one, now can they?
CF is the best! (err hmmm, don't let them read that) Really, they are all quite amazing.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 17:16   #11

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I agree with you on that, Livia, and I hope it's true for your excellent work, as well: The Interview With A Cruiser Project.

TaoJones
Thanks TaoJones - I pulled my signature so it wouldn't seem like I was being self-serving. I really meant what I said!

I put google ads on the IWAC project because...why not...but like AndyR said, high page views but low click throughs means income that, for most of us, is not worth the effort. I'll take the free coffees the site generates but Im doing the project'primarily for fun, to give back and the sense of accomplishment.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 18:08   #12

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Andy…..Could we use a term other than “addicted”…? I’m feeling kind of guilty.

How about… “Committed”
Hello. My name is Christian, and I'm a Cruisers Forum member...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 07:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Something to consider next time one of our moderators closes down a thread because it's 100% about politics and 0% about cruising.

Ok, another question then: It seems to me that the "Moderators" here have a great deal of authority to pull threads, moves posts between threads, and delete links that members post. All this is aimed at improving the experience of visiting this site.

It is logical to deduce that the great, consistent experience offered here drives more people to read, post, participate. And, it follows that this overall increase in activity leads to more revenue for the site owner.

SO ... how are Moderators compensated for the work they provide that makes the forum an ongoing profitable venture?

Thanks -
Jim

~
Old 26-04-2010, 08:24   #14
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
If I may, as a former moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
Ok, another question then: It seems to me that the "Moderators" here have a great deal of authority to pull threads, moves posts between threads, and delete links that members post. All this is aimed at improving the experience of visiting this site.
Yes they do but they very rarely do it unilaterally. Posts may be quarantined and discussed in the backroom before final decisions are made. Those posting will be notified of their decision.

Quote:
It is logical to deduce that the great, consistent experience offered here drives more people to read, post, participate. And, it follows that this overall increase in activity leads to more revenue for the site owner.
Likely.

Quote:
SO ... how are Moderators compensated for the work they provide that makes the forum an ongoing profitable venture?
They're not. They're volunteers in a normally thankless and misunderstood position on the forums.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 08:50   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
And, it follows that this overall increase in activity leads to more revenue for the site owner.
There is a direct link between a well run business and profitability, albeit never a guarantee of the latter.

On CF.com I get to benefit from the place being well run and full of useful info, if it wasn't I simply would not be here (loyalty, eh )............the time, effort and cost of maintaining this place is none of my concern (happily ).

If Andy makes a profit then none of my business, but good on him . If not, tough sh#t
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ownership