Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2003, 18:16   #1

Boat: ex-WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
New Offshore Pollicy for Shorthanded Crews

I've used an insurance broker in Chester, MD (IMIS, short for International Marine Insurance Services) for some years and thought others might want to know about a new policy they developed in concert with Markel. It is specifically intended to provide coverage for small crews (2 or more) crossing oceans and, with varying rates and special riders as required, seems to cover most of the world. At least, it's able to cover much further North than I wish to cruise when heading for Norway next Spring.

The policy is 'all-risks', is worded in English (not Insurancese) and is called the Jackline Policy. Rates were excellent when compared against a variety of options I looked at both before and after doing an Atlantic Crossing, altho' dealing direct with a specific carrier could be cheaper - after all, the IMIS policy premium includes a broker's fee. OTOH I've had previous insurance carriers twice decide they didn't want to be in the marine business any longer - while I was offshore and not easily able to resolve the sudden disappearance of my coverage - and having a broker who interceded on our behalf, presented choices and coached us on our decision was well worth their fee.

For more info you can get more info on IMIS and Al or Gary Golden (father/son & former cruisers) at http://imiscorp.net or by phone at 410-643-8330 or 800-541-4647 toll free in USA & Canada.

I've had some truly disappointing experiences with insurance companies and brokers in the past, and frankly find the 'dance' to obtain and pay for coverage one of the least desireable aspects of boat ownership. That's why, when I found a vendor I appreciated, I bother to put this kind of post on a BB. I'm not the brother-in-law or friend of the owners; just a satisfied customer who has run into a lot of crews the past 4 years who have struggled to find decent coverage for their offshore cruising. If this helps a few folks, then it was well worth taking the time to post.

Jack
Whoosh is offline   Reply With Quote