Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 22:20   #1

Cost to deliver a boat

If I were to find a boat in say Singapore, how would I go about in getting it to Florida? I realize this is an open ended question but just looking for a ballpark figure and maybe a starting point. Could I get it there for $5K, $10k, $20k?
Efam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 22:43   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Cost to deliver a boat

It's really hard to give you any amount, because there's so many things that adjust the costs ! Like the size, type, and equipment,ect ect. Most open ocean deliverys start at 300 to 500 per day for Capt and needed crew are on top of that ! also all boat expenses, food, but not booze lol or beer! This figure can be changed for many reasons, but most times the price go's up if the owner is aboard ! Lot's and lot's of delivery Capt's out there and a lot will cut cost's to get deliverys Be carefull cus prices being low might mean lack of experience! Just saying it's a hard thing to make a choice, cost or experience, which is more important to you ??
Old 28-12-2014, 22:43   #3

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

More details needed. Size, shipping or delivery, condition, timing, crew to fly in or out etc

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 02:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efam6 View Post
If I were to find a boat in say Singapore, how would I go about in getting it to Florida? I realize this is an open ended question but just looking for a ballpark figure and maybe a starting point. Could I get it there for $5K, $10k, $20k?
I just did a delivery the other way of a lagoon 440 catamaran from the med to Singapore,then up to Bangkok.

this involved shipping it via seven stars shipping line ,and my self delivering it at either end,cost was around us$70k.
I also quoted to sail it on its own hull,which was around $40-50k.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 03:30   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Odds are, that between a delivery skipper & crew, boat prep, travel expenses, plus wear & tear from a delivery of that length, it'd be cheaper to ship the vessel. Or better yet, buy one; at or close to said destination. Because after a trip of that length (if it's sailed on it's own bottom), you're pretty much looking at doing a full refit on the vessel when it arrives.

Meaning; sails, rigging replacement (standing & running), major engine tuneup (possible overhaul), deck gear, re-bedding all fittings, possibly new paint...

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 07:23   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Southampton, England to Newport, RI: 46ft sailboat: $26,500 via Sevenstar
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 07:36   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cost to deliver a boat

Some have a day rate.. some operate with a mileage rate.. then there's expenses on top..
With a 13000 odd mile trip like this you'd be looking at $30K+ at least..
Eemshaven to Ft Lauderdale with 7Stars was $27K.. that's around 5000 miles.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 07:37   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

I would venture to say that the only viable delivery will be by you, the new owner. Of course you will need the necessary capabilities/experience for that. If you will see this as a sort of extended adventure/cruise it will be a good thing to do.
Any other method will be prohibitively expensive, many tens of thousands of US$. You will be better buying a vessel nearer to your place.
Old 29-12-2014, 08:06   #9

I ship power & sail boats from Singapore to the East Coats of the USA on a regular basis. The price is based on square meters of vessel deck spaced used plus insurance and the shipping cradle. Also, you will face the costs of entering & clearing the boat through US Customs on arrival in the USA so precise documentation is a must.

This not rocket but it it not cheap either
Hoenysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 09:07   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

You also need to consider which route? Via the Red Sea? Piracy issues? Another criteria is whether you want insurance and then the choice / experience of the captain / crew shall also have implications. We met a chap who had his mon-hull delivered from Durban to UK. The crew managed to sink the boat in the Azores, within the harbour. He was uninsured and went with cheap delivery crew to save costs.......the rest was a nightmare for the owner. Choose the Captain and crew carefully. For such a delivery is it really a cost effective solution?
Perhaps consider several holidays and move it yourself in stages?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 10:43   #11

Boat: Nauticat 43

Based on my experience, I think meirriba is giving you good advice. If you pay to have your boat delivered, you will be shocked at the final price paid. If you pay for delivery by sailing and motoring, it will take twice the time projected. If you are paying a daily rate, you need to consider this. Did the delivery team agree to work 24x7 or 8x5? Expect to pay something somehow if the work isn't 24x7. How much did you set aside for enroute repairs? How much for repairs and replacements after delivery due to wear and tear? To make aggressive time, motoring (read fuel costs) will be used whenever advantageous. Fuel and water replinishment require stops. Does this equate to overnight transient dock fees? Do you have insurance for damage done to the boat? If there's any shipping of the boat, do you know the physical address of the shipper, pilot, driver? Do you have the name and account number of the insurance company of who is shipping and did that company cooperate confirming insurance coverage by them? If shipping, did you factor in the cost of haulouts, tearing the boat down and packaging, re-assembly and re-commissioning her after delivery? Can you afford the deductible for damage done to your boat? I hope you haven't already bought that boat.
Ded reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 10:55   #12

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Unless there is a sentimental value for the boat, making this voyage or shipping her makes no sense to me. But you may have your reasons we don't know.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 11:13   #13

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

I'm not did a delivery recently but money formula is $1 or $2 dollars per mile plus airfare to back plus food.
A professional skipper must provide his own crew, insurance (including medical) for him and crew and off course, licence and reference..
Old 29-12-2014, 12:39   #14
Marine Service Provider

Obviously we need more information. Recently a 45 ft. Gran Soleil cost over $25,000 from the Med to Ft. Lauderdale.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 12:58   #15
Marine Service Provider

Sorry, thought you were talking about shipping it. I think $2.00 per nautical mile is typical for a professional delivery captain plus all expenses; air transportation to the site and then home, hotels, meals, incidentals for starters. Will you provide the crew needed? If not crew costs may run half the captain's (each) if he/she has to provide crew plus the same expenses. Money has to be available for the captain to buy fuel, food, whatever along the way. If you are aboard you can take care of that. We got a bargain, paid 10 grand from Tahiti to Honolulu (47' cat) and got three crew for free, two girls both 50ton skippers looking to build sea time and a mechanic in addition to a very experienced captain. Like the others have said, I'd look for something closer to home.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote