Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 13:44   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Canadian Owner, FL bought, Ontario Registered, French Made - How to sell in US??

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I assume you mean you either licensed it in Canada or registered it in Canada as there is no such thing as "documented" in Canada nor any Provincial licensing.
US Documented is the equivalent of Canadian Registered.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 15:17   #17

Boat: C&C
Re: Canadian Owner, FL bought, Ontario Registered, French Made - How to sell in US??

We purchased our cat in Florida approx 8 years ago and did the off shore closing c/w a broker on board, pic of GPS coordinates and The Miami paper of that day.
Brought her back in and obtained a 1 year cruising permit once I got my Canadian Registration papers and presented the originals. No problem!
Now we're looking to sell after we return from the Bahamas this April. I was told by US Customs this past spring when I got my cruising permit that I could not sell the boat in US waters and they took my original Registration and provided me with a stamped duplicate. First time they've ever done this? They will give me back my original in a couple weeks when we go in and cancel the existing cruising permit just before we leave. Yes you have to advertise "not for sale to US residents" possibly adding in "US waters", there's also another form that has to be filled out by a broker I believe to make it all legit. The other option is to pay the Florida tax on her and then you can sell to anyone. A friend did that recently and the deal went through no problem. I may do this in April when we return to
Lauderdale? Any one looking for a 37 ft cruising cat this coming spring send me a PM.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 15:58   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
US Documented is the equivalent of Canadian Registered.
They are similar, certainly not legally equivalent.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:57   #19

Boat: GibSea 472

This Beneteau was built in France. Canada signed a free trade agreement with the EU in 2017. The implementation of this trade agreement this year will permit the total elimination of the duty taxe for all imports from Europe. That means that only the local canadian taxes(GST & local sale taxes ) will have to be paid to 'import' the boat and sell it in Ontario. A significant saving!. On Lake Champlain a lot of Canadians buy sailboats from US or Europe, free of taxes sail them on Lake Champlain store them in Quebec without any problem. I presume that the new free trade agreement with EU will simplify the process of buying europeans boats any where in Canada.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:31   #20

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
This Beneteau was built in France. Canada signed a free trade agreement with the EU in 2017. The implementation of this trade agreement this year will permit the total elimination of the duty taxe for all imports from Europe. That means that only the local canadian taxes(GST & local sale taxes ) will have to be paid to 'import' the boat and sell it in Ontario. A significant saving!. On Lake Champlain a lot of Canadians buy sailboats from US or Europe, free of taxes sail them on Lake Champlain store them in Quebec without any problem. I presume that the new free trade agreement with EU will simplify the process of buying europeans boats any where in Canada.
I think the new FTA, only includes new imported vessels, could be wrong.......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, ontario