Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2011, 08:10   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Buyer Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
When I click on the recall link I get the text but only an X where the picture is supposed to be. I have a West Marine brand Bosun's chair that was purchased by the previous owner. I really am more interested in whether this thing is going to drop me 50 feet than getting my money back. There is no item number or any other idenfiyying mark on my chair, just the West Marine Logo. It would have been helpful if they had included the date range in which the products were sold or some more identifying information. I have emailed West customer service, hopefully I'll have a response soon.

There is a website onlline that provides information about product recalls. I just put "product recalls" into Google and found this immediately.

Recalls.gov

I wouldn't use the chair but I would want to find out why it's being recalled. Could be that a grommet pops out and someone got scratched, or it could be a lot more serious.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 10:11   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Perhaps I missed the point but I don't think so. Therapy (a really good guy) bought from an on-line source not WM. I commend WM for taking it back, but if they refused because he did not buy from them I could see their reason and would still think it a somewhat sound business practice on their part. The idea behind a business such as WM taking this item back they did not sell originally is of course for a little customer loyalty. Unfortunately today, with the access to the Internet, customer loyalty is based on how cheap can one get it. I understand service well. But it is somewhat frustrating when I spend hours with a customer while he bleeds every bit of information he can from me then buys from an online business because he saved a few dollars. But it really makes me swallow hard when the same guy calls back later wanting even more advice about his online purchase because there was the usual no after sale service. Sorry for the rant and of course kudos to WM. But remember guys, good advice, service and cheap rarely go hand in hand. Whereas service and value for your dollar usually does.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 11:08   #18

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I got my response from west..... Call Taylormade. Not the usual response I would expect from West. I any case I called Taylormade. The products in question were manufactured and sold in Mid 2008 and later. Care to guess where they moved their manufacturing that year? Since my chair is at least pre-2006 and shows no signs of wear or deterioration I'll keep using it.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 11:20   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Perhaps I missed the point but I don't think so. Therapy (a really good guy) bought from an on-line source not WM. I commend WM for taking it back, but if they refused because he did not buy from them I could see their reason and would still think it a somewhat sound business practice on their part. The idea behind a business such as WM taking this item back they did not sell originally is of course for a little customer loyalty. Unfortunately today, with the access to the Internet, customer loyalty is based on how cheap can one get it. I understand service well. But it is somewhat frustrating when I spend hours with a customer while he bleeds every bit of information he can from me then buys from an online business because he saved a few dollars. But it really makes me swallow hard when the same guy calls back later wanting even more advice about his online purchase because there was the usual no after sale service. Sorry for the rant and of course kudos to WM. But remember guys, good advice, service and cheap rarely go hand in hand. Whereas service and value for your dollar usually does.
Tellie,

That is sort of how I was looking at it. I am probably the third owner (it looks brand new) - original > boat4us > me.

I know they get them credited from the manufacturer. I know it costs them some time (money) to do the process.

I still would feel a little guilty about taking advantage of the policy in this case. You see, somewhere along the line each individual has to take their own responsibility. boat4us could have returned it and gotten more money for a newer one. The original owner could have gotten a newer one.

I know the recall came out in 08. I assume after that they would not sell any more. I assume it is at least that old (3years).

I don't know what I will do.

I may ask them but I think I would feel pretty guilty if I took a new one for it.

It seems that those that have never run a business think businesses are evil, huge money machines (trees) and should be taken advantage of at any turn but I don't feel that way a lot of the time.

Hmmm.
Old 26-09-2011, 11:23   #20

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
I got my response from west..... Call Taylormade. Not the usual response I would expect from West. I any case I called Taylormade. The products in question were manufactured and sold in Mid 2008 and later. Care to guess where they moved their manufacturing that year? Since my chair is at least pre-2006 and shows no signs of wear or deterioration I'll keep using it.
Maybe that is because it is so old an issue. The original owner probably got a notice like I did for my Rocna.

You did not because yours was not made "there"??

No way for me to tell the date of mfgr. No way to tell when originally purchased.

Got thier phone number??

The paper that came with it is recycled and printed with soy inks.
Old 26-09-2011, 11:37   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
There is a website onlline that provides information about product recalls. I just put "product recalls" into Google and found this immediately.

Recalls.gov

I wouldn't use the chair but I would want to find out why it's being recalled. Could be that a grommet pops out and someone got scratched, or it could be a lot more serious.

I went there and put in west marine as the company and got zip.
Old 26-09-2011, 19:28   #22

FWIW, I had the West chair that was recalled, and as I recall it was something stupid, like the D ring that holds the gear bag on the side or something like that.

It's still one of the better made chairs I've ever seen, and at the time was WAY cheaper than the competition.

But still, a recall is a recall. They want 'em back :-)
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 05:35   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
... Unfortunately today, with the access to the Internet, customer loyalty is based on how cheap can one get it. I understand service well. But it is somewhat frustrating when I spend hours with a customer while he bleeds every bit of information he can from me then buys from an online business because he saved a few dollars. But it really makes me swallow hard when the same guy calls back later wanting even more advice about his online purchase because there was the usual no after sale service. Sorry for the rant and of course kudos to WM. But remember guys, good advice, service and cheap rarely go hand in hand. Whereas service and value for your dollar usually does.
The phenomenon is called “strip & shop”.
The bargain hunter strips you of all the valuable information & services you offer, then shops for a bargain “serviceless” price. They want to have their cake, and eat it too.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 06:47   #24

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Taylormade's customer service number is 1-877-280-1199.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 07:58   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
FWIW, I had the West chair that was recalled, and as I recall it was something stupid, like the D ring that holds the gear bag on the side or something like that.

It's still one of the better made chairs I've ever seen, and at the time was WAY cheaper than the competition.

But still, a recall is a recall. They want 'em back :-)
Quote:

The webbing construction on these items may fail and may not be strong enough to support a person and the D-ring may fail under stress, either of which could result in personal injury.
Webbing and D-ring. Maybe the one that holds the whole thing up?
Old 27-09-2011, 08:02   #26

Quote:
Taylormade's customer service number is 1-877-280-1199.

Thanks for that!