Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 22:45   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Whale Gulper 220

I have been writing about our good experiences with this pump before. Yesterday we did a rebuild of one using the standard Whale rebuilt kit for this model pump.

The old rubber parts were worn, the pump was still pumping but I noticed backflow meaning the valves were leaking. The rebuild was very easy, took about 10 minutes besides a good cleaning.

The best part is this: the pump has been in full time 7x24x365 use as an automated central gray water tank pump-out pump for... 7 years !! Besides the replaced rubber parts it still looks as good as the day we installed it, so I expect to rebuilt it again in 7 years time.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 23:48   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Re: Whale Gulper 220

I agree. If only Whale made heads cos im sick and tired of my jabsco.
My 220 Whale is in daily use pumping out the shower.
Fit and forget.
Old 07-06-2012, 17:09   #3

I too havea Gulper 220- BUT.... not QUITE "Fit & Forget" ....sadly it has just died a death ! It worked as the combined Galley sink & shower pump for several years, but when doing a recent redesign of boat interior, involving re-siting of shower & Galley,I decided to clean the pump & use one of my 2 unused service/repair packs. It actually looked fine but I installed a new diaphragm & flap valves anyway, & re-packed the plastic/nylon worm 'n wheel drive with clean white grease, reassembled it and Bingo when reinstalled it ran fine again- but only for two test runs while emptying the shower and galley sink to test the new hose connections- on the third use it started racing, motor turning but diaphragm not pumping- result on dismantling shows the nylon wheel has stripped teeth/threads in one area ! - the worm 'n wheel assy is not available as spare parts, (even if one could press out the s/s locking pins to replace the assembly)- great pity as the motor is running fine ! My only guess is that having done an incredible amount of pumping the installing of new diaphragm & valves may have overloaded possibly worn worm 'n wheel surfaces - the installation was the same distances, lift & size of pipework so there can be no other reason. BUT.... the Gulper 220 is STILL made, so I've ordered a new one already & still will have 2 spares kits to keep it running !
sirphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 20:36   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Be wary of the grease you used. I switched to synthetic Superlube a long time ago to prevent any trouble like hardening or incompatibility with parts and never looked back. I didn't even grwase my pump as it looked just fine, with ome kind of silicone grease inside I think. I Superlubed the white membeane only.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 22:12   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Agreed. Anyone who lives aboard/showers aboard should invest in a Whale Gulper gray water system. Get the whole kit with the tank. Mine has been going six years now and hasn't needed to be serviced once. We haven't even needed to clean it out.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:16   #6

Looks like you broke it by trying to fix something which wasnt bust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirphil View Post
I too havea Gulper 220- BUT.... not QUITE "Fit & Forget" ....sadly it has just died a death ! It worked as the combined Galley sink & shower pump for several years, but when doing a recent redesign of boat interior, involving re-siting of shower & Galley,I decided to clean the pump & use one of my 2 unused service/repair packs. It actually looked fine but I installed a new diaphragm & flap valves anyway, & re-packed the plastic/nylon worm 'n wheel drive with clean white grease, reassembled it and Bingo when reinstalled it ran fine again- but only for two test runs while emptying the shower and galley sink to test the new hose connections- on the third use it started racing, motor turning but diaphragm not pumping- result on dismantling shows the nylon wheel has stripped teeth/threads in one area ! - the worm 'n wheel assy is not available as spare parts, (even if one could press out the s/s locking pins to replace the assembly)- great pity as the motor is running fine ! My only guess is that having done an incredible amount of pumping the installing of new diaphragm & valves may have overloaded possibly worn worm 'n wheel surfaces - the installation was the same distances, lift & size of pipework so there can be no other reason. BUT.... the Gulper 220 is STILL made, so I've ordered a new one already & still will have 2 spares kits to keep it running !
Old 08-06-2012, 05:51   #7

Lightbulb Re: Whale Gulper 220

Thanks for the Synthetic grease tip Nick ! It was in fact synthetic grease- & I've also been using fully synthetic oil as well for the Motor for some time now. It's just one of those inexplicable things I reckon- Anjou's comment rubs salt in the wound, that it looks like I broke it trying to fix what wasn't bust ( it felt like that at the time ) until I reflected that I HAD to remove the pump, wiring connectors, plumbing runs and outlet, to resite the whole caboodle, so it seemed common sense to clean and o/haul the pump while it was out for a day orso anyway - my attitude now is it's much better it broke down while I'm on the dock, and not in 2 weeks time when I'll be at sea, half way across the pond from The Caribbean towards the Acores- 'tis a lot easier to fix now than in 30 knots and no replacement pump for 2000 miles. --- "We are never given a problem without also being given the solution - the trick is to find it - and sometimes its that the problem is a blessing in disguise! " G'day folks, from the half-Aussie-half Brit, with his magnetic boots on in this upside down half of the planet! SirPhil.
sirphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:09   #8

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

+1 Great Pumps!

I have (4) in service for 9+ years. 2 as gray water pumps and 2 as main hull bilge pumps. Another in the spare parts bin. Never touched any of them (we don't full-time liveaboard so they don't have the same duty cycle as Jedi).
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:32   #9

Thats the best attitude. Breaking it did you a favour. Have a safe journey and keep us updated please

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirphil View Post
"We are never given a problem without also being given the solution - the trick is to find it - and sometimes its that the problem is a blessing in disguise! " G'day folks, from the half-Aussie-half Brit, with his magnetic boots on in this upside down half of the planet! SirPhil.
Old 18-11-2012, 00:42   #10

Boat: Freydis 49

Yes Gulpers are great, fit and forget, I have 2 in service, shower and bilge for 5 years and 2 spares, dont think I'll need the spares for a while.
Old 18-11-2012, 01:12   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Another vote for the Whale Gulpers. I have two on board doing gray water which were installed in the original build 12 years ago, which is one of the few items of gear from the original build which has not needed replacing. Happily gulping away despite pretty heavy duty due to my semi-liveaboard lifestyle. I have a rebuild kit on board, but no spare pump.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 07:44   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Threw out two Jabscos in short order, then got a Gulper.

When looking for a diesel transfer pump I found, a few years ago, that they sold the 220 as same. So I now use that to fill my day tank.

It seems they have redesigned their web site. I'll have to chat with them before ordering a spare that can fit either application.

I rigged the shower sump with a y valve so the 220 can be used as a bilge pump.

Actually, upon closer inspection, it seems they both still have the same part number. BP1552/1554.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 07:52   #13

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

hpeer,

I noticed the web site says it's not suitable for diesel.

"Please note: Gulper® 220 is not suitable for pumping diesel. For this application please contact Whale for information."

Whale Marine - Products
Old 18-11-2012, 11:56   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interesting disconnect. Their industrial products lists it as a diesel transfer pump. I had not seen that notice before.

I just downloaded the Industrial PDF from the diesel transfer tab and got the same part number.

I'll call them, just to make sure.

I HAVE pumped over 400 gallons with it.
Old 19-11-2012, 10:30   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just spoke to Whale technical support.
BP-1552 - is for showers
HD-1552 - is for diesel transfer. It has a hypalon diaphragm and it will last longer

They are sold through Northern Tool.

Whale tech rep could not have been more helpful.