Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2019, 07:42   #1

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
UP-N-OUT boat ladders beware of promises

https://up-n-out.com/boat-ladders/

I recently attempted to purchase a ladder from these folks, however they're unable to deliver on promises.

The time frame is as follows

8-6-19, Communications initiated with Up-N-Out, confirming that they were still in the business of making custom boat ladders. They confirmed that they were.

8-10-2019 I sent my ladder measurements to them per the instructions on their website.

8-15-2019 to 8-16-2019 Up-N-Out confirmed receipt of my measurements and asked when I would like to have the ladder. I responded that I would be quite happy to have the ladder in my hands the first week of November.

9-23-2019 Up-N-Out finally responded with a quote for building the ladder, very reasonable pricing, with a lead time of 2-4 weeks. I responded the same day with an affirmation to build the ladder.

10-17-2019 I sent an inquiry about progress on the ladder, NO RESPONSE.

10-22-2019 I sent an inquiry about progress on the ladder.

10-23-2019 Up-N-Out responded that my inquiry had been passed onto their engineer. I have still not received any response to this query.

11-11-19 I sent an email to Up-N-Out stating that I was hoping to install my ladder in the next week of two, and was looking forward to delivery and invoicing.

11-12-2019 Up-N-Out finally dropped the bomb on me. They sincerely apologize, but they've got a long list of custom ladder orders right now and will not be able to deliver my ladder in the next 2 weeks.

11-12-2019 I sent an email, as well as attempted to call several times. there has been no response to either. I explained how perturbed I was that I ordered a ladder starting in August, and had stated a delivery of November was acceptable.

We're leaving the US the day after thanksgiving and had planned on installing this ladder just before we took off. Had I known that they'd drop the ball like this a month ago I could have made other arrangements for a swim ladder.

Following my last communication with them there has been no contact at all.

Beware, If you would like one of their products, their email contact is sporadic, they don't answer the phone and don't return calls. They'll take your order, promise a delivery yet never contact you if there are delays.

I give them a 100% fail.

Matt
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 08:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: UP-N-OUT boat ladders beware of promises

Are you dealing with the Denmark location?

A few years ago they told me they were no longer making bait ladders, just dock ladders.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 09:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Are you dealing with the Denmark location?

A few years ago they told me they were no longer making bait ladders, just dock ladders.
This is the Minnesota location, they told me specifically that they're making custom ladders.
Old 18-11-2019, 11:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interesting.

My understanding is that it started in the USA, basically some guy in his garage. He sold it the European guy who dropped the boat ladders. Maybe the first guy bought it back? He was real slow when I bought my ladder many years ago.
Old 18-11-2019, 17:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Interesting.

My understanding is that it started in the USA, basically some guy in his garage. He sold it the European guy who dropped the boat ladders. Maybe the first guy bought it back? He was real slow when I bought my ladder many years ago.

It may well still be some guy in his garage. I can understand slow as well, but when a delivery time is given with the quote, even when they went so far as to ask when I would need the ladder and then completely failed to deliver or even tell me that they were nowhere near until multiple attempts by me to contact them just plain sucks.
Old 19-11-2019, 02:14   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That it does. And it is a nice product.
Old 19-11-2019, 03:38   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have one of these boarding ladders on my boat. I bought it perhaps eight years ago. It is indeed an amazing tool in that it can be used as both a standard boarding ladder, as well as being our emergency ladder.

I actually visited the manufacturing shop in Minnesota. It was indeed a small operation, with one main person, but it was quite a bit more than a simple garage. At the time he was quite busy, but we received our ladder on time, and perfectly customized to our needs.

I'd heard he had sold the business, and I'd heard they had stopped building boat ladders. Too bad, if so, because it really is the best ladder I've seen or used.
Old 19-11-2019, 10:10   #8

Boat: Coast 30

So assume a case of industrious tradesman trying to catch up and does not have time to take phone calls or write emails least He get further behind?
build a good product and then everyone wants one?
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 10:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
So assume a case of industrious tradesman trying to catch up and does not have time to take phone calls or write emails least He get further behind?
build a good product and then everyone wants one?

That’s fine, but again they promised a 2-4 week delivery, and at week 6 told me that there was no way I was getting a ladder in the next week or two.

They’ve not communicated at all if they’d even be able to deliver in the next 4 weeks!! If they were forthcoming about timing I could have worked to take delivery in Florida instead of Texas. Alas they don’t answer the phone or return calls/emails.
Old 20-11-2019, 08:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
That’s fine, but again they promised...
Exactly. It doesn't matter how busy you are, don't make promises that you cannot keep. And if things go wrong, and you realize that you are not going to be able to keep promises that you have made, you communicate that to your customers IMMEDIATELY! You don't just ignore them until they finally call you --two weeks AFTER the promised date -- and then tell them that it is going to be yet several more weeks.

The product may be great, but this lack of communication is just piss-poor customer service. Unless you are unconscious in a hospital room, there is no excuse for that.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 08:35   #11

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Cool ladder! ...sorry it's taking so long to get it.
Old 20-11-2019, 09:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
Cool ladder! ...sorry it's taking so long to get it.

If only I was getting it........
Old 20-11-2019, 09:49   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Just FYI, I was not in any way suggesting the lack of communications or failure to meet agreements is acceptable. It's definitely not. I just think their product is great. And I definitely had a different experience with the company, but this dates back quite a few years now.
Old 20-11-2019, 09:53   #14

Boat: EDELCAT33

I hope he did not miscalculated the mfg cost. I have seen small shops take this tactic when they realize the cost quoted will make them lose money or they have a bigger order and not enough workers
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 14:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
I hope he did not miscalculated the mfg cost. I have seen small shops take this tactic when they realize the cost quoted will make them lose money or they have a bigger order and not enough workers

If that is the case it’s a really rotten tactic to take. I could have procured a different ladder if they had just told me they weren’t going to make the ladder.

Tags
boat