Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2007, 05:17   #1

Mast Mate Ladders

Hi ,i am looking to buy an aid for climbing the mast, have no problem getting the other half up , but she does struggle winding me up,and i wouldnt trust her using the windles with me on the other end. I have been looking at these Mast mate ladders, has any one used one or know of a better option. regards Carl. Guernsey C I.
CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 09:46   #2

Carl
I have the ATN climber, I really like it. The only thing I have my first mate do is handle the safety harness line. Yes I use a seperate safety harness even on the standard Bosuns chair. I don't want to hear the thud when I hit the deck from 45 feet.
Monkey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 09:56   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Exclamation

Here's a thread from a while back that may interest you.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ines-4846.html
Old 27-10-2007, 14:58   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Mast Mate

I use the Mast Mate, which is a stiff nylon set of steps that are hoisted in the auxiliary track on the mast Easy to climb and requires no one to help.

Flexible, portable mast climbing ladder made of nylon webbing which attaches to any sail track
Old 28-10-2007, 00:12   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I carried a mast mate all the way around the world. It works great, but it is a pain to put in the sail track to use it safely. Once you get it in the sail track you can easily climb the mast even at sea. We used it until we arrived in New Zealand, and there we put permanent mast steps all the way to the top.

One benefit of the mast mate is that you can use it to recover someone who has fallen over the side who can't climb back on board. You simply toss the end of the mast mate into the water while the rest of the mast mate is tailed to a winch. Once the victim gets his feet in the loops, you can winch him on board.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 17:20   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
That mast mate looks great. Way better than winching someone.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 17:54   #7

I've had a Mastmate, didn't like it. The mainsail has to be removed to use it. I had to climb wearing a bosuns seat so that once I got to the height I needed, I had to sit in the seat so that I could work with both hands. If you need both hands to climb, how else could you hold on, and work too?
Now I have an ATN, It's easy to use, safe, and both hands are free to work with. I've tried everything, even a block and tackle to hoist myself up. What a joke! The ATN or rope climbing apparatus that you can DIY is the only way to go, IMO.
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 18:02   #8

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
I just use a 4:1 purchase with 200 feet of line and I yank my self up in a chair. It's not that easy but it works!
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 18:05   #9

Oh, forgot to mention that I also wear a separate safety harness. But instead of having someone on deck tending the line, I have a short rope tether that I tie onto an unused halyard with a rolling hitch. Then I just slide it up as I go. I've hung from it several time, to test it, and it seems to work very well. I don't like relying on someone else to keep me safe.
Marc
Old 28-10-2007, 18:23   #10

A fat old guy like me trying hoist myself up at about 50lb. per pull would probably have a heart attack by the time I got 5' off the deck. That would be about 20 pulls or so to go 5'. Then, by the time I would get to the top, the 2 blocks, with their shackles and other stuff, would still leave me about a foot short of the top. Definitly, an exercise in futility. Been there and done that.
I'm 70 y.o. and I've climbed the mast as much as 8 times in one day with no problem. My ATN is the only thing I know that I can do this with.
Marc
Old 28-10-2007, 21:37   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
I've had a Mastmate, didn't like it. The mainsail has to be removed to use it. I had to climb wearing a bosuns seat so that once I got to the height I needed, I had to sit in the seat so that I could work with both hands. If you need both hands to climb, how else could you hold on, and work too?
Why does the sail have to be removed?

When flaked my sail is at least a foot below the opening for the sail slot?

I would think that when you are at the working height you just tie around the mast with your harness and lean back like a telephone lineman?

Safety line is a must, of course.

What is an ATN?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 19:56   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
What is an ATN?
http://www.atninc.com/topclimber.html

They sell a selection of stuff.
Old 22-11-2009, 07:50   #13

Boat: contessa 32
hi folks ,mast mate comes with a hvy duty harness that keeps climber tethered to mast, very reassuring and frees both hands . one can lean back a la telephone climber.No weight aloft ,no fouled halyards , no wind resistance,no help required,no swinging about since steps are in sail track and all stows easily.worthy of consideration IMHO.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 17:19   #14

Boat: a sailing boat
Mast steps
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 06:08   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
... mast mate comes with a hvy duty harness that keeps climber tethered to mast, very reassuring and frees both hands . one can lean back a la telephone climber ... worthy of consideration IMHO.
I finally succumbed to the MastMate in 2008 after thinking about it for quite a while. In my case the harness was not included as seems to be indicated in mrohr's post, but it is an essential part of the system. I am sailing single-handed and something like this really meets the need. I tested it in harbor before setting off for Bermuda from NJ in 2008, and in Bermuda I had to repair the masthead tricolor. MastMate made this easy. The system takes a bit of setup time, but going aloft is a rarity so the inconvenience is not an issue. Works per specifications and I would recommend. Also the manufacturer comes off as a decent chap so were there an issue I'd expect a satisfactory resolution.

Tags
mast