Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 19:21   #1

SpeedSeals

I recently purchased a SpeedSeal saltwater pump cover kit for my engine. Their advertisement and web-site shows the screws that come with the kit are slotted. When I got the kit the screws were not slotted making removal difficult on my engine. When I contacted SpeedSeal, they refused to provide the screws they advertise. The whole purpose of the kit is to make the saltwater impeller easier to replace.
rabend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 19:26   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I had speed seal kits for my catamaran, and they never worked for me as well. From the advertising, you would think that they are dead easy to install. Maybe for some people, but on my Yanmar 3GM30F, it wasn't that way.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 21:31   #3

Boat: Cascade
I looked up their add and they do show slotted bolt heads. What is the reason the gave?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:04   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Finger-Tight should be adequate (which seems, to me, the whole point):

I’ve never required screwdriver slots to install or remove the knurled screws; but rabend is correct, the SpeedSeal website photos do indicated knurled & slotted screws.

However this photo, from a Torrenson review, clearly hows knurled-only thumbscrews (no slot).

http://www.torresen.com/news/?p=354

http://www.torresen.com/sailing/speedsealinplace.jpg

Excerpted from the Practical Sailor review:
“... Some years ago, a man in England, named Alex Parker, apparently got fed up with scenes like the one described above, and decided he would have no more of them. So he machined a new cover for awater pump impeller out of 1/4" naval brass. Into it he set a nitrile O-ring, so as not to have to deal with cork or paper gaskets any more. Instead of slotted screws, he used big, knurled, thumb-driven screws...”

http://www.speedseal.com/Pages/Pract...ept%202005.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speedseal3.jpg
Views:	2569
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	10935  
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:59   #5

Speed seal has always shows a knurled nut...It simplifies removal of the water pump cover considerably. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:01   #6

SpeedSeal

My problem is that on my engine the impeller cover plate is under a hose making it difficult to get a good finger grip on the screws. After the screws have been hand tightened and in place for a while, they are difficult to remove. If they had the slots as advertised, I could break them loose with a screw driver and then continue to loosen them by hand. Speedseal says they no longer make them with the slot. Bottom line is that they should sell what they advertise.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:35   #7

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Call 'em back and ask for a spare set. Slot them yourself with a wheel on a dremel. Ta-Dah!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:53   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Call 'em back and ask for a spare set. Slot them yourself with a wheel on a dremel. Ta-Dah!
--or 2 blades in a hacksaw
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:39   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Something just does not seem right about making a bolt finger tight on something that vibrates like an engine....just a gut feeling.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:02   #10

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Yup, that is what I was thinking.

I bet they changed the design after they had to replace many of them. With a slotted head that big (diameter increased to provide leverage for the finger screws), I bet some folks insisted on using a screw driver 'just to get that final snug' and broke many of them off in the motor.

Something to be careful of when you do slot them, and only use the slot to remove them.

Also, anti-seize is a really good thing to use on any motor, espceally one in a marine environment.

I like Permatex 80078 Anti-Seize Lubricant I use it on everything from spark plugs to automotive lug nuts. It has some limited corrosion preventive properties, but does a good job of keeping corrosion from sticking things together.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:24   #11

Boat: Valiant 50
I have it on my 2 Volvos and they work well - easy to get on and off with the knurled screws and an O-ring seal. The original was slotted screws whose slots were mangled and a paper gasket..paper!!. They were not a delight to change in a hurry and in the dark. The Speedseal thing has been a huge improvement.

I am indeed surprised that Speedseal were unhelpful - I had quite the opposite experience with them and have nothing but praise.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:32   #12

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
I too had speed seals on Nauticat when we bought the boat. They both leaked from day 1, in part because they have 4 screws vs. the 6 that come on the standard VP unit. They also had a very thin (IMHO) o-ring seal that was a pain to re-seat correctly.

Decent idea but not sure the executed product meets expectations.

Old 06-11-2009, 17:39   #13

SpeadSeal

I asked them for another set of four screws so that I could slot them myself, and they wanted to charge me significant dollars for the screws. I felt I was going the extra mile and even offered to send back the old screws at the next impeller change. The refused that offer as well . . . not very helpful.
Old 06-11-2009, 18:14   #14

Boat: Cascade

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabend View Post
I asked them for another set of four screws so that I could slot them myself, and they wanted to charge me significant dollars for the screws. I felt I was going the extra mile and even offered to send back the old screws at the next impeller change. The refused that offer as well . . . not very helpful.
That sounds like poor customer sevice. Sometimes people dont understand what trearting a customer poorly can do.

I worked on a tourist sailboat in the Algarve during the summer breaks from Uni. The captian always said that one displeased touist lead till 10 lost sales. People always speak more about bad experiences than good ones.

If you had this leak free on your boat for 5 years I doubt you would write a post about it.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:34   #15

Speedseal Update

I just thought I would provide the outcome. SpeedSeal refused to provide the slotted screws as shown in their advertisement, but they have changed their advertised pictures so that they no longer show the slots. I would not recommend them to anyone based on the lack of customer service I have experienced.