Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2014, 16:26   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Spectra MPC-5000 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
One quirk of the MPC-5000 I've found that I don't like is that when you first power it up (every time), there is a few seconds delay before it sounds the alarms to allow you to by pass purge mode....and sometimes the audible alarm will continue after the "purge mode bypassed" screen is displayed until you press the alarm button. Minor, but annoying.

I've always found the automatic purge mode annoying....just power up and let me decide what to do next. With the MPC-5000 you can by pass almost everything from the control panel, but no way to by pass this damn auto purge mode that I know of.

Well the new MPC controls have a battery backup and will do that for you. Yes you can convert, no you don't want to convert.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 16:36   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We have an older spectra Catalina system, a manual system which produces 17 gallons per hour. Is there an upgrade route to make ours into an automatic system? Spectra is awesome, our clark pump developed a hairline crack barely visible near the high pressure output. A new pump arrived just the other day, probably before the company had received delivery of our 11 year old pump.
If you are making 17gph it is not a Catalina. Perhaps a Santa Cruz. But either way Spectra does not have an upgrade kit for manual units. We used to do that years ago but the headaches were not worth the results.
Old 19-04-2014, 17:10   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Well the new MPC controls have a battery backup and will do that for you. Yes you can convert, no you don't want to convert.
By "new" do you mean the 5000? Mine is a 5000 and has a battery backup, but still goes into purge mode each time I turn it on. Do you mean there is a way to keep it from doing that?

Of course, I could just leave it on all season, but the display (even at the lowest setting) is quite bright at night so I turn it off (bothers my GF not me). While I'm whinning, sure would be nice to be able to dim that display further. ;-)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 17:32   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
By "new" do you mean the 5000? Mine is a 5000 and has a battery backup, but still goes into purge mode each time I turn it on. Do you mean there is a way to keep it from doing that?

Of course, I could just leave it on all season, but the display (even at the lowest setting) is quite bright at night so I turn it off (bothers my GF not me). While I'm whinning, sure would be nice to be able to dim that display further. ;-)

I forgot, you did mention that you recently changed out the board. But yes the new battery backup boards are designed to go back into "Flush Timer interval" mode if the power has been interrupted. It should hold the time for five days without going into the purge mode. You should also be able to go into the programming mode by pressing the "Stop" and "Alarm display" Buttons at the same time. Scroll to "Brightness" and change the parameter with the "Auto Store" button.
Old 19-04-2014, 17:55   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ah, just discovered I needed to be a little more patient. A few seconds after powering up the 5000 will flash all the indicator lights and sound the alarm. Just like the 3000 did when waiting for by pass of auto purge mode, but if you just wait a few more seconds the alarms stop and it just dispalys the "Spectra..." screen. So, in fact it was not going into auto purge mode. Just appered so to me.

Interestingly though if you do press "auto" and "stop" to by pass purge mode, it will display "purge mode by passed"....further supporting my misunderstanding that it was going into purge mode.

Much ado about nothing.

Yes, set Brightness to "00" (as low as it will go). Just whinning.

But while I'm whinning....sure would be nice if they would at least send a little sticker for the control panel to "upgrade" it too. Mine still says "MPC 3000". Running flawlessly now though despite that. ;-)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 18:01   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Ah, just discovered I needed to be a little more patient. A few seconds after powering up the 5000 will flash all the indicator lights and sound the alarm. Just like the 3000 did when waiting for by pass of auto purge mode, but if you just wait a few more seconds the alarms stop and it just dispalys the "Spectra..." screen. So, in fact it was not going into auto purge mode. Just appered so to me.

Interestingly though if you do press "auto" and "stop" to by pass purge mode, it will display "purge mode by passed"....further supporting my misunderstanding that it was going into purge mode.

Much ado about nothing.

But while I'm whinning....sure would be nice if they would at least send a little sticker for the control panel to "upgrade" it too. Mine still says "MPC 3000". Running flawlessly now though despite that. ;-)

I could send you a fine point Sharpie
Old 19-04-2014, 22:51   #22

Now THAT'S customer service!

LOL
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote