Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 15:33   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Product Review - Sensibulb !

Hi All,

First, I know sailors are a cheap lot and I can be too but...

Those of you who know me know that I will only tout or support a product that I have; #1 put through the paces, and #2 feel works and actually lives up to and goes beyond my expectations and the companies claims.

It's actually quite rare that I come across these products in the marine industry.

For a long while I have been experimenting with interior LED lights. Basically, they stink, and I've tried many, many bulbs from many, many manufacturers such as Super-Brite LED, Dr. LED and others including some eBay junk.

A few years ago I purchased one Sensibulb. My initial thought was "holy crap these are expensive" but once I got it installed my entire thought process changed! that original bulb had six LED's in it. The folks at SS/SCAD have since pushed the envelope and the new bulb has only two LED's but is considerably brighter than my original with six. The warm incandescent color though has not changed and these bulbs are a pleasure!

In short these bulbs ROCK!! They are the ONLY LED bulb that has a color spectrum that compares to an incandescent and the lumen output to back it up. They are also slightly brighter than my 10W halogen bulbs that are/were in my ABI lighting fixtures.

Every time I'd install a "cheap" LED bulb my wife would complain and bemoan that she couldn't read, hated the color and it was like a spot light, no beam width etc. so I'd switch back to halogens.

To make a long story short I ponied up and bought a bunch of Sensibulbs and WOW! I can run FIVE Sensibulb lights and not even break 1 ah of draw.

In contrast five of my ABI overhead lights, running 20 Watts of halogens, was burning close to 10 amps per hour!!!!! My wife and I are big readers and often run cabin lights from 8:00 p.m. until 1:00 am. Five of my ABI's running for five hours was burning almost 50 amp hours of my battery bank. I now burn five amp hours for the SAME amount of light output!!

My wife never noticed the change over from Halogen to SensiBulb and fortunately never saw the credit card bill!

Alternator upgrades and battery bank upgrades are far more costly than a few Sensibulbs! think about upgrading your bulbs first as they can be a BIG draw!

I honestly can't speak highly enough of this technology and Sensibulbs. NO ONE else has it and Sailor's Solutions/SCAD developed it. Yes they are pricey at $39.95 each but sooooo worth every penny!

I have NO stake or interest in this company other than to help out fellow boaters!

P.S. - I spoke with Nick this morning, one of the owners of Sailors Solutions, and a great guy. I asked him if he would extend a 10% discount to members who read this thread and mentioned it when purchasing a Sensibulb.

So all you need to do is mention you read about Sensibulbs on CruisersForum.com and Nick will give you 10% off. Instead of $39.99 they will be $35.99. Better than nothing..!

BTW he ships USPS priority and it's very reasonable. When I ordered mine they were about $4.00 and change to ship..
Old 12-08-2008, 16:52   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
So all you need to do is mention you read about Sensibulbs on Sailboat Owners.com
This is cruisersforum.com
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 19:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
This is cruisersforum.com

Yeah, I realized that after the fact but the edit functions on this site are WAY to short!!!

With so many forums to visit and so little time I get confused where I am sometimes. Either way Nick will give you the 10% off if you mention your read about it on one of the sailing forums..
Old 13-08-2008, 01:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Acoustic;
Why are all your references to lights & lighting hyperlinked to SailNet?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 18:39   #5
Marine Service Provider

Sorry Gord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Acoustic;
Why are all your references to lights & lighting hyperlinked to SailNet?
I orginally posted this on Sailnet and thought more worldly members here would also benefit. Unfortunately, when you type on Sailnet it hyper-links key words which I clearly missed when I copied and pasted.

If this site would open up the ability for members to edit posts beyond a few minutes I would correct this in a heart beat! Sorry!

The bulbs still ROCK!!!

PLEASE OPEN UP THE TIME WINDOW ON EDITING!!!!!

I can edit stuff I posted on MANY, MANY other forums, even three years later, and trust me I've seen three year old threads pop up that I posted on with "typos" and fixed them for future readers!!
Old 28-09-2008, 17:45   #6

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Sensibulb

I have been using Sensibulbs for several years and love them.
Mine have 6 LEDs, are the new ones with 2 LEDs that much better?
I might replace just two for our reading lights.
Thanks

Carl
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 13:13   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Great Service

I bought about 10 or 12 of the Sensibulbs 3 years ago, one burned out soon after, and its been kicking around in my things for about 3 years, I sent it back last week to LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.
not expecting them to really do anything and this is the e-mail I just receved

We replaced the defective unit you sent to us. You should have it via USPS in a few days.

PS: This is our new version which is even brighter.

Wishing you fair winds,

Nick Cancro

President

Sailors Solutions, Inc.

PO Box 737

Northport, NY 11768

631 754 1945

LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.

Needless to say im very happy and will continue to give them my bussness and pass along what they have done for me!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 17:00   #8

I have several fixtures with Sensibulbs, but I had to sort of jury rig the fixture to get them to fit, so I replace them with Dr LED self contained fixtures (Red Mars dome), but regret having made the change. I found the Sensibulbs both brighter and a much more pleasant color. Expensive, yes, but arguably worth it. And, the Dr LEDs are also expense, as are most LED solutions except D.I.Y. ones. The advantage of the Dr LEDs for me was having it built with the dual white/red option.
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 19:45   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I have one sensibulb which I've used for a year, and love the technology--warm white light, 1/5 the power, and no RFI. However, they really need to work on the packaging, which is on the crude side.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 02:20   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hmmm... My guess is this.

Acoustic originally posted his find over there.

He logged out.

He came here to post and decided it would be easier to copy and paste the text from the other site.

He went baclk but not logging in the ad links were active - some sites use ad links for non logged members.

He copied the text and the links.

(So acoustic - am I close?)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 04:10   #11

Boat: Islander 36
Thanx Acoustic. No Really, thanks a lot. I've had Sailor's Soultions in My Favorites for years now. After reading your post I went there today and now I'm ready to spend over $1,000 on the toys I see there. I guess that's why I'm still working.
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews