Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2013, 10:53   #16

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: Powersurvivor 40e VS Little Wonder Water Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post
Yep, we were very happy with our 40e for the first 2 years, then after comparing notes with other live aboards , it became clear we were becoming chained to the thing as you say.

I treated it as one of my own, changing filters everytime we used it and washing them as recommended in the book you mention, changing seals etc, but in the end for us, it was a bad decision on my part.

Katadyn are a quality company, don,t get me wrong , they helped us out with problems and serviced it for us for free after one particular problem, but we needed a larger unit and the schenker did the job with 30 liters an hour at 9 amps/hour so we run it under sail too.

I think you will always need more water than you think , especially in warn climates where you drink more? We started out in Scotland and are now in Sardinia , so there has been a HUGE temp increase, hence more water drunk!

C.
How much did you pay for the Schenker?
Old 25-08-2013, 12:34   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Powersurvivor 40e VS Little Wonder Water Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post
Yep, we were very happy with our 40e for the first 2 years, then after comparing notes with other live aboards , it became clear we were becoming chained to the thing as you say.

I treated it as one of my own, changing filters everytime we used it and washing them as recommended in the book you mention, changing seals etc, but in the end for us, it was a bad decision on my part.

Katadyn are a quality company, don,t get me wrong , they helped us out with problems and serviced it for us for free after one particular problem, but we needed a larger unit and the schenker did the job with 30 liters an hour at 9 amps/hour so we run it under sail too.

I think you will always need more water than you think , especially in warn climates where you drink more? We started out in Scotland and are now in Sardinia , so there has been a HUGE temp increase, hence more water drunk!

C.
Do NOT underestimate the above statement when choosing a watermaker.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 13:14   #18

Boat: Hans Christian 41
Hi

Schenker was bought direct from them as they are an italian company and we are in italy!

Cost was €4900, no extras, just the basic manual vesion

They have a guy called Ricardo in their service department who is incredibly helpful and knowledgable, helped me set up via e mail and sort out a few installation issues.

240 ppm and around 27liters an hour now it is up and running, water temp is 27 deg c here.

Btw if anyone is loking for a katadyn 40e for spare parts in europe, drop me a line!

C.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water