Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 07:20   #1
cruiser

Magma Flopper Stopper Review

As promised, here's a brief review on the Magma Flopper Stoppers we started using four weeks ago. At most anchorages we set one flopper stopper off the boom which takes about five minutes and also serves to eliminate shading issues with the solar panels mounted on top of the Bimini. If the anchorage is somewhat rolly or we plan on staying more than one day, it only takes 8-10 minutes to add the extra stopper off the spinnaker pole. We've given up on the suggestion by the manufacturer to mount one off the bow roller, as we've found one there to be totally useless. Doesn't stop the rocking and can interfere with the anchor rode, I also tried it off a point near the bow... no effect.

Today at an anchorage in Croatia, just the right conditions existed to do a review of the Magma Flopper Stoppers. A windy night last evening has produced a swell that would normally really get the boat rolling side to side. Not large waves, but just the right frequency.

Although not miracle workers because we do get some minimal roll, they do reduce and stop the pendulum roll as you can see the other boats are experiencing. We get approximately the same movement as a catamaran, minimal but not quite as jerky. The flopper stoppers are 12ft below the surface.

When I look at the many catamarans in the anchorages and compare the movement, we are now very similar except the movement of our boat isn't as jerky, probably due to the heavy keel which slows down any movement. Please note, that it's difficult to capture on video the actual amount of side to side roll, because on the boat our head and eyes act as a visual stabilizer and the camera (ipad) sort of does the same. All in all the stabilizers have been a success, although when the wind really kicks up and the boat begins sailing back and forth on the hook, sometimes the safety/retrieval line can get wrapped around the stopper and render it useless. We've now have even this aspect 75% under control... there's a learning curve.

I hope you enjoy and please ask any questions.

Cheers,

Ken

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:19   #2
cruiser

Re: Magma Flopper Stopper Review

What, nobody interested is preventing rock n roll?
Old 04-07-2017, 09:28   #3

Saw something like that at a boat show. Wondered how it was to stow?
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:58   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Similar product but it disassembles for easier storage. Friends use one and say it significantly reduces rolling at anchor. http://www.flopstopper.com/FlopStopper/Home.html
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:07   #5

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Thanks for the review, Ken

Question: Do the floppers or any of the rigging make any noise?

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Similar product but it disassembles for easier storage. Friends use one and say it significantly reduces rolling at anchor. FlopStopper.com
That's the one I saw. Kinda pricy compared to what he's reviewing. Glad to see these reviews!
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:32   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Thanks for the review, Ken

Question: Do the floppers or any of the rigging make any noise?

Steve
Totally and completely silent. All the rigging on the spinnaker pole and the boom is pulled tight, so no movement takes place except the opening and closing of the flopper stopper itself which is twelve feet below the surface. The two flaps don't actually bang against each other when it closes up, it remains slightly open by the way it's balanced. Even when I was cleaning the hull the other day underwater, I didn't hear any noise coming from the flopper stoppers.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:39   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Saw something like that at a boat show. Wondered how it was to stow?
It actually folds flat and is surprisingly small. 36 inches X 12 inches x 4 inches when folded if I remember correctly. We store both in the aft locker, but might consider lashing them to the lifelines where they get launched if I can think of a way, or just placing them on the dinghy floor when it's on the davits.

When I was first handed the two boxes with the product, I thought they'd sent the wrong one, because the box seemed much too small.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:45   #9
cruiser

My one criticism would be on the storage bag that's included. It's worthless and ripped the first time I tried to use it ,and is nothing like what's on the package photo. I might have some good canvas bags made which can mount onto the lifelines or be stored like a big long tote in the aft storage compartment.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:54   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Similar product but it disassembles for easier storage. Friends use one and say it significantly reduces rolling at anchor. FlopStopper.com
I paid only $500 for TWO flopper stoppers with delivery to the nearest store included via Westmarine. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma...05_153_010_500

The price for the other model is steep at $650 each.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:35   #11
cruiser

Here's another video on the same flopper stopper done by a fellow CF member out in California that inspired us to give them a try. It shows the Magma Stopper in action below the surface.

Old 04-07-2017, 14:15   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

On the previous boat, my wife made a holder for the flopper stopper and we mounted it on the lifeline next to the mast where it was deployed.
It was flat, made from Sunbrella to match the boat's sailcover.
The dimensions matched those of the stopper, open at the top.
(If possible, it's always best to store stuff where you will use it)

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:51   #13

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

My boom doesn't extend very far. I'd only have 2-3 feet advantage over just hanging it off a cleat. Anyone ever try these things right off a cleat?

Interesting that West Marine sells them for $10 less than Amazon. I haven't been impressed with Magma quality (or price) on their grills, I wonder if there are any knock-offs on the market.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:27   #14

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
My boom doesn't extend very far. I'd only have 2-3 feet advantage over just hanging it off a cleat. Anyone ever try these things right off a cleat?
The farther out you rig them, the more effective they will be. Even a couple of feet can make quite a difference, and is worth the effort.

Watch swap meets. I found a like new one for 50 bucks.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:37   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Interesting that West Marine sells them for $10 less than Amazon. I haven't been impressed with Magma quality (or price) on their grills, I wonder if there are any knock-offs on the market.
Tom,

We tried hanging one off a bow cleat, and it didn't seem to work very well for preventing the front to back rocking, so we instead went with the spinnaker pole off the side at 90 degrees and the boom situated at 45 degrees more at the stern than directly at 90 degrees of the beam. The stopper hanging off the boom is about six-seven feet away from the boat. The stopper off the spinnaker pole is more like 12-14ft out.

Tags
agm