Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2016, 16:37   #1

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS
Is Coppercoat anti foul worth it?

Hi
Can I ask you all what you think about Coppercoat anti foul for long term cruising around some fairly isolated areas. It is expensive, but it means not having to find somewhere to haul out every year, and you do not have to go through the pain of anti fouling every year either. Well that's what I have been told. I would welcome views from cruisers who have Coppercoat or an equivalent. Thanks
SJFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 17:00   #2

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41
Re: Is Coppercoat anti foul worth it?

Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 17:01   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I was not impressed with in on my boat when it was applied at the factory. I still had to use antifouling.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 17:04   #4

I had it applied in August to date no barnacles. That's too soon to tell though.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cparharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 17:34   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFK View Post
Hi
Can I ask you all what you think about Coppercoat anti foul for long term cruising around some fairly isolated areas. It is expensive, but it means not having to find somewhere to haul out every year, and you do not have to go through the pain of anti fouling every year either. Well that's what I have been told. I would welcome views from cruisers who have Coppercoat or an equivalent. Thanks
There have been repeated, lengthy discussions on this very subject, some pretty recently. You would do well to utilize the search function here on CF... there is a great deal of data (or at least opinion) available.

Jim (who has no opinion on this subject)
Old 30-01-2016, 23:00   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Hi
Why would you have to repaint yearly? High quality, high-copper hard paints will provide good performance for three years and more.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 05:32   #7

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

Thanks to both for the responses. I checked the search function as suggested and see that this issue created some emotional dialogue. So rather than open the debate again, I will consider it closed.
best regards
SJFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 07:58   #8

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

I've read mixed reviews but have noticed a few trends. First, the correct application seems to be a big factor in its success. Second, even those show love it still have to do some minor clean up when they haul.

Finally, and this may be a key item, several people have requested and received a test panel. They put it in the water and left it for an extended period. Those who had satisfactory results then applied it and were happy.

I am thinking about it and will request a test panel. I also have the benefit of being able to compare and contrast it on two identical boats in the same area. It will be a few years so unless you are willing to wait for me, I would try the test panel.

Good luck with your research and test.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 08:06   #9

Quote:
Hi
We used Pettit's Trinidad Red, about 70% copper, for 40 years. Got two years out of it in the tropics. Very heavy paint, very expensive, but will keep hull clean except for that jelly like slime. Easy to clean. You can leave the bast coat on the hull and just add another layer when hauled out. Our layers got fairly thick over the years, so when we did not haul every two years, it would be a fairly clean hull after three years with the occasional barnacles.
Four years would be the max in the tropics. Some folks add pepper, arsenic, and the like to their paints but doubt if any of those additives really work.

Sometimes you can get a US government surplus disposal(Get on the GSA list) of 5 gallon antifouling paint. That will hold you for at least 5 years if not 10. The old gray stuff has mercury, arsenic, and lead in it. Need respirator(which is good to use with any bottom paint. Its a hard rubbery paint for military ships and subs so not so good for racing boats.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 08:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
I've read mixed reviews but have noticed a few trends. First, the correct application seems to be a big factor in its success. Second, even those show love it still have to do some minor clean up when they haul.

Finally, and this may be a key item, several people have requested and received a test panel. They put it in the water and left it for an extended period. Those who had satisfactory results then applied it and were happy.

I am thinking about it and will request a test panel. I also have the benefit of being able to compare and contrast it on two identical boats in the same area. It will be a few years so unless you are willing to wait for me, I would try the test panel.

Good luck with your research and test.
Practical Sailor has already done this, many times. Go get their research.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 08:15   #11

Well it seems 'some' well known individuals that are extremely prejudiced against CopperCoat, have even been offered test panels free of charge for them to try, but preferring to stick to their biased prejudices, have not accepted them for testing. A bit averse to having reality deflate their prejudiced bubbles, accompanied by egg on face, I expect.

You know who you are . . . . .

Personally, I'm putting my money where my mouth is, after considerable time spent looking into CopperCoat, and the boat I get is going to have it applied.

I expect to do a wipe down of the antifouling when the boat is in the water, as and when it needs it.

No hardship or particular expense.

The boat will primarily be in Tropical waters, and I expect to be able to give useful feedback (perhaps confirming the useful feedback of others that have genuinely used it) by the end of the year.

Getting a test panel for putting in your home waters, seems to be a sensible option if in any doubt.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 08:17   #12

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I have it applied on all three of my boats which have been kept in Chichester Harbour, a notoriously bad spot for hull fouling. I had the odd barnacles but usually only slime which washed off easily when hauled out at the end of each season. I kept one of my boats in Portsmouth harbour last year and it had nothing on it when it was hauled out in September last year. I like it because, particularly with my lift keeler (Parker 27) I don't have to worry about trying to do a mid season clean off which is virtually impossible when she is sat on the bottom as she is almost flat on the ground, even on hard sand, so very hard to reach. I first had it on a Nicholson 27 which had already stood up to to fouling for 7 years and it was still going strong when I bought it. Apparently they have records of one boat which is still going strong on the original coating after 23 years. It works out at break even for cost (if you apply it yourself) after 7 years. I did two myself, the Tradewind 33 and the Parker 27. You do need to allow about 7~10 days for it to thoroughly dry before immersion and it is a good idea to lightly abrade it after the initial application using a scotchbrite pad to open up the first layer of copper particles, thereafter it is self abrading. I didn't do so on my Parker 27 and had a lot of barnacles after the first season. Subsequent immersions after cleaning and abrading worked out fine.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 08:23   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

I see no mention of free test panels on the CopperCoatUSA web site.

Edit: I have e-mailed CopperCoat about this. We'll see if the the offer is real or not and if it is, if it is extended to an industry professional.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 08:44   #14

Boat: Outremer 42

Done two boats with it; never going back to 'normal' antifoul paint
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 08:46   #15

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Generally expensive, and break even is far too long, imo, to justify the risk, in a marine environment.

I've seen it laid out, the boat looks like a jewel indeed, might just for few days (shiny and glittering)

Layers detach by 40micron at a time, depending on chemical transformation.

IF it really could avoid hauling, a great investment... BUT... usually we take advantage from hauling for other revisions, works, etc.

Surely, coppercoat is not a ground-breaking, it is available since long.

Tin/lead were better, but so hazardous ...
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote