Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 14:13   #61

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Brompton Folding Bike Reviews?

Now that we've established that a bicycle needs at least 39 gears to be effective, I have a related question:

When I was much younger and actually riding a bicycle on a regular basis, safety gear had not yet been invented. We just got on and rode.

How many here always wear the helmets, knee and elbow pads, etc. when riding their boat bicycles even for short trips to town? How many even have them on board? Are there any places that require such safety gear?
Old 07-02-2016, 14:57   #62
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Variable check it out

Overview - Products - nuvincicyling.com
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 15:54   #63

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I always wear a helmet. "Persistent vegetative state" is not something I want to experience...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:49   #64
cruiser

I'm all smiles riding around here in Olbia, Sardinia on my new Brompton folding circus bike. In no way is this thing close to being a $15,000 racing road bike, but it's definitely the way to go if one lives on a boat. It's easy to take on and off a dinghy, easy to carry down into the saloon and put away in its bag. My only regret... I went with the three speed sport model, but should have purchased the six speed model. My wife has the six speed, which is much easier to ride slowly when negotiating walking traffic in the towns.

The small wheels take some getting used to, especially when looking over your shoulder for traffic.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:42   #65
med

6 speed electric folder with bigger wheels than the Brompton (so much easier to stay in control on uneven/ridged surfaces).

500 Hoptown Electric Folding Bike - | Decathlon

In my opinion a lot of bike for the money. We have non-electric versions of these which we have from 6 years ago on our boat - good solid bikes even if a little on the heavy side.
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:18   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have you looked at the Bike Friday (BikeFriday.com)??? Love my New Wotld Tourist model and have carted it all over as well as living on the boat. Lives in a suitcase on passages and for airline travel. Suitcase makes into a trailer after you get there or to haul bulky items. Bike is more comfortable to ride than my full size bikes and 9 gear derailleur and 3 speed hub gives me all the gears these old legs need. Frame is steel but freshwater rinse and WD40 have kept it looking good. Front and rear racks made provisioning and veering the boat prepared for a TransPac a no car experience.

As far as safety gear, always wear a helmet. I've gone down hard on pavement twice and busted my helmets. Lots of road rash but my head survived with only a mild headache. If you don't wear a helmet, be sure you carry your organ donor card.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:21   #67
cruiser

Rover,

I was heavily involved in bike racing for nearly twenty years and always wore a helmet. I've had four concussions even with the helmet.

Now.... where did I put my reading glasses???
Old 19-05-2016, 03:05   #68
cruiser

People stopping me every day to ask questions about my Brompton folding bike. Creates a bit of an awkward situation since I don't speak Italian.

They're all smiles, and I'm all smiles. Many bicicletta enthusiasts here unlike in America.
Old 27-05-2016, 08:55   #69
cruiser

Here's a picture of the Brompton with the Burley Travoy folding trailer loaded down with groceries. The trailer can carry up to 80lbs and I can't even feel the trailer behind me when towing, but I am adding an additional 3 speeds to the existing three making six total for uphill grinds with the trailer. I'm also used to spinning at 80-90 rpm from racing and track days, actually much higher with track, so three speeds wasn't enough. My knees were feeling it.

When shopping, I usually head out with the trailer and a backpack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	125039  
Old 27-05-2016, 11:22   #70

Are you adding a Swiss Mountain Drive? Works great

Greg
Old 27-05-2016, 11:57   #71
cruiser

I added this kit here by Brompton, basically an upgrade derailleur kit with rear wheel.

Brompton gear upgrade kit - 3 speed hub to 6 speed hub/derailleur
Old 27-05-2016, 12:21   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
I have Dahon folding bikes. .... They have racks on the back for lashing things and nylon bags in the front like a basket. You can get wire baskets, but you lose the ability to fold. ....
I have a Dahon as well. I bolted a basket to the rear rack for groceries and it still folds ok. I doubt it would fit in a bag that way, however.

The only problem I've had with the bike is that the spokes come lose every few months.
kalbahnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 12:28   #73
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Here's a picture of the Brompton with the Burley Travoy folding trailer loaded down with groceries.
Wow. That trailer is sweet. I have to pick me up one. Thanks for sharing the picture.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 12:40   #74

OK. That approach is certainly the most cost-effective. The Swiss Mountain Drive is more than double the price. The lowest gear on the SMD is quite the granny gear and might be too low to be of use for you anyway. OTOH the 100" high gear on the Brompton is too steep for me...

I like the trailer - wish I had one when out cruising. I like the large capacity, and no doubt it handles easier than overloading the bike. The Brompton large front bag hauls a lot, and I have put quite a load on the rear rack, but I think the trailer is a better approach. My body alone hits the nominal weight limit, and I suspect the overloading contributed to premature spoke failure.

Greg
Old 27-05-2016, 12:46   #75
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Wow. That trailer is sweet. I have to pick me up one. Thanks for sharing the picture.
Monkeyman,

It's really a neat idea and I intend to shoot a video as soon as the missus gets here. When I get to the store, I just unclip it from the bike, partially fold and lock the bike to a pole (so that it looks really f*^%#d up to most people), then take the trailer right into the store and use it as a shopping cart. Unload at the register, then reload after check out and wheel back to the bike. Clip it on and go. No plastic shopping bags, no guessing how much to buy. It's so easy.

The trailer folds down and the wheels come off, the entire thing packs into a bag the size of a briefcase. While out, the storage bag can also be used for shopping.

Tags
reviews