Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 18:17   #1

Boat: O'Day 37 Center Cockpit "Namaste"
Folding Bike Info Request

I'd like to get a folding bike (see several used on Craigslist), and wondering if anyone has tips, preferences, etc.
lorenzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 18:23   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Folding Bike info request

In a 37' you can have a normal bike. We have 2 MTBs ina 26'.

A normal sized bike is way more comfortable way to travel.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 18:27   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

I have a Montague: full size mountain bike which rides pretty well. My wife has a Dahon: small wheeled commuter bike, which is good for short urban commutes. Both fold to a reasonably small size but make no mistake that they'll still require a lot of space to store. Both take about 10 minutes to fold/unfold.

Which is best for you (compact or full size) really depends on how serious you are about cycling and how much you intend to use it. I like full sized bikes and would be unhappy riding a compact. My wife isn't nearly as interested in cycling and loves her compact bike. Horses for courses...
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 18:33   #4

Look at a Giant "Half Way" I had one and loved it.
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 18:48   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Folding Bike Info Request

About a year ago I switched to a single-speed bike, the Trek Soho S. Aluminum. The point here is that when I go from the boat to a grocery store, or the port captain, or wherever, I never find myself going uphill. Never. So what's the point of having a bike with 24 speeds, and all that derailleur stuff?

I haven't yet seen a folding bike that didn't have all the extra chain rings, cogs and derailleurs that most cruisers don't need. A shame, really. I wish that one of these bike companies would figure out that cruisers want simplicity.
Old 09-03-2011, 18:56   #6

The Dahon is as plain as they come with an internal three speed gear
Old 10-03-2011, 05:40   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. But having a one speed bike is having a one use thing in the boat. Imagine you want to take a bike trek to an island. A one speed bike will kill you, while on a proper MTB you can go get the groceries but you can also bike dozens of miles on and off road without much ado.

And alloy MTB will be very light and you can remove the wheels, saddle, etc. for storage in 5 minutes or so.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:22   #8

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

I have been looking into this myself and so far am thinking of the SEATEC Elektro-Bordfahrrad. I saw this in a German Marine Magazine and heard from some sailors who travelled around the world that it was a great asset.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:54   #9

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamcore View Post
Look at a Giant "Half Way" I had one and loved it.
Ditto.

I bought 4 of them while I was in Taiwan where they are made. They come in steel frame or aluminium. So much better than the Dahons I had before. To be fair, my Dahons were old models. Heavy and difficult.

I sold off all of mine. My next set of wheels for the boat will be adult razor scooters. I'm looking to save space that the bikes took up. They went largely unused because not so easy to get from anchorage to dry land.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:13   #10

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Folding Bike Info Request

I had a Downtube 8 speed SA hub. 20" wheels. Great ride. Standard parts unlike the Dahons. You'll want a mutispeed if you need to get over the ICW bridges or want to actually go somewhere. There are some really high dollar machines out there but many feel the British Brompton is the "best" folder. Others say Bike Friday. You get a too quick and creepy ride IMHO on the el cheapo folders. High dollar bikes have the geometry figured out.

My next will be a Swift. Not as small but fast to set up. Once I finish my refit, the Swift will be my only ground transportation.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:24   #11

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

My tip is if you've space for full size then get them. Not just easier to ride but cheaper to buy.
If you go for folding only tip I can give is that despite some claims, cheaper versions don't all rust. We got 2 UK 'Bike in a Bag' brand jobbies (made in China) that cost less than the price of one good quality bike. They both worked OK and outlasted the 4 years we had them - now donated to a pal for his ongoing use.
Good luck
JOHN
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25   #12

You can use a folder for touring the world, or you can have a regular size bike with S&S couplers.
Check here for everything you could want to know about proper bikes
crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: A place for bicycle tourists and their journals
Artif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:59   #13

Boat: O'Day 37 Center Cockpit "Namaste"

Thanks for all of the tips. I have a Razor, and love it for puttin' around the docks and short trips, but plan on spending time in the Sacramento Delta, and so the Razor is a little bit shy for getting into town for groceries. Delta roads are all flat, so a three speed would be ok. I don't want to have a full size bike stowed (stuck) on topsides, nor below. Mostly, need something simple to haul a few groceries and visit a local pub or two.

cheers, lorenzo
lorenzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:15   #14

Last I looked, the Brompton has a three speed Sturmy Archer hub as an option. A bit dear at around $1000. but a very good bike.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:19   #15

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50

I just asked this question on Facebook yesterday, and it triggered quite a long thread (39 comments and counting) with input from lots of fellow bicycle-tourists (I used to wander the US on a computerized recumbent). The Brompton scores high among folder-literate pals, as does the Montague... and I also learned about the sleek GrassHopper, Swift, Zooter, CruzBike recumbent, and the Bike Friday. I also got pointed to a very nice folder source that allows online configuration of a Brompton, as well as carrying lots of others including electrics: NYCeWheels

Steve (who is now lusting after a Brompton)