Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 13:16   #31

Boat: Beneteau 456
Go to West Marine next time if you are willing to pay 40% more.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 13:16   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I like it to be christmas every day, so during the summer months I order 3-5 time a week. I always have something waiting on my doorstep. I shouldnt judge you because I dont know you, and because we've only had 1 interaction. Similar to you not knowing enough about defender to judge or badmouth them. Same as calling me a troll when you dont know me. Once again defender rocks, but feel free to shop at west if you want.
You're single, yes..!?
If not, how do you do it? Seriously I would like to know! If I buy more than twice a month foer the boat, the Admiral would kill me or worst she would go for a shopping frenzy on her own, in retaliation!!
Old 12-02-2013, 13:18   #33
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Atrocious Service from Defender

I got an Raymarine auto pilot from defender last year that turned out to be defective (I did the troubleshooting with RM not Defender). In the end RM said to send it back to Defender for replacement. When I called Defender and told them the story they said to send it back to them and they even sent me a shopping labe and paid the return shipping, which was not in their return policy.

Other than this I have never had a problem with buying anything else from them.
Old 12-02-2013, 13:27   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie View Post
As I recently got into sailing and needed an online place to buy parts, I asked around and heard about defender. Ordered a couple hundred dollars of stuff, and on the site daily looking for more gear.

I ordered and received some Poly Planar Sub Compact Box Speakers and after hooking them up and playing with the EQ settings for many hours, have determined that they are terrible. They're either very poor quality of defective, as they cannot handle even the smallest amount of bass without sounding distorted.

I called defender and got Scott on the phone. Not only was he terribly unhelpful, he was rude. Asking if I had installed them, and if I did, that they weren't returnable. Yes, I screwed the brackets in the bulkhead, and could easily unscrew them. He asked if I had all the original packaging - yes I do. Even have the twist ties, the boxes, the plastic. It has been under 10 days in accordance with their return policy.

Now I don't know if the speakers are defective from the manufacturer, or if they are just the biggest pieces of Chinese sh*t ever made, and frankly, I don't think I should have to be the one to figure that out. Defender thinks I should take it up with the manufacturer. The fact of the matter is, the speakers sound blown at low volume with any bass whatsoever, and that is not acceptable. Defender should stand behind their products, as I in good faith, expected them to sell me quality products.

I'm furious. I've been buying products online since 1997 and have NEVER had such poor customer service. They're supposedly going to call me back and let me know if I can return them. I was more than likely going to exchange them for a more expensive set, not to mention buy a bunch more stuff. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
I am curious what was the date of purchase vs the date of requested refund? That might explain why Defender is being that cavalier. If it was a relatively short time then, you are 100% right. But in fairness that should be disclosed

Thanks

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 13:29   #35

Boat: 1977 shannon 38 cutter

I also have great service from defender, but **** happens. Glad moonpie was able to sort it out. As far as west is concerned, I shop the net hard, print out the best price I can find and walk into west and they honor that price every time. I call it my get out of jail free card.I don't do it often. Only when I want the product in my hand today.
starchaser 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 13:38   #36

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

If you REALY want to waste time,try dealing with polyplanar directly !!!
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 13:42   #37
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I totally am positive about my buying experience with Defender incl. after sales service, but I also totally believe the OP and his negative experience with Defender.

It does not matter that Poly Planar sucks...
It does not matter that the product was cheap...
It does not matter that connections aren't soldered...
It does not matter that most all of us have positive experiences...

because Defender frakked it up good with OP, should whack that new guy or whatever happened there and get their act together. Only when they take note of this incident and make sure it never happens again, they will stay ahead of decaying into the WM kind of business.

Listening Defender?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 13:49   #38

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Not sure it was wise to buy cheap speakers online without the ability to listen t them, then complain because they sound like cheap online speakers. In any event Defender in my experience always takes care of the customer......
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 13:55   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I totally am positive about my buying experience with Defender incl. after sales service, but I also totally believe the OP and his negative experience with Defender.

It does not matter that Poly Planar sucks...
It does not matter that the product was cheap...
It does not matter that connections aren't soldered...
It does not matter that most all of us have positive experiences...

because Defender frakked it up good with OP, should whack that new guy or whatever happened there and get their act together. Only when they take note of this incident and make sure it never happens again, they will stay ahead of decaying into the WM kind of business.

Listening Defender?
I am pretty sure Stephen Lance is listening, he always is, and he keeps close tabs on on-line activity where Defender is the topic...

Its this type of attention to happy, or unhappy customers, as to why they are so well respected in the boating community.

He does listen and does address issues. I can nearly guarantee he will be reviewing the records/recording of the phone conversation and deciding what if anything needs to change.
Old 12-02-2013, 14:01   #40

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Defender's return policy states they reserve the right to refuse returns or assess additional fees at their discretion for merchandise not in the original packaging and ready-to-be-sold condition.

10-day returns are for electronics in their original unopened packaging and ready-to-be-sold condition.

Defective products are referred to the manufacturer.

Defender Industries Customer Service
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 14:03   #41
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I am pretty sure Stephen Lance is listening, he always is, and he keeps close tabs on on-line activity where Defender is the topic...

Its this type of attention to happy, or unhappy customers, as to why they are so well respected in the boating community.

He does listen and does address issues. I can nearly guarantee he will be reviewing the records/recording of the phone conversation and deciding what if anything needs to change.
Exactly why I put it like I did. Our positive experiences can put a smile on their face but it's the lone negative experience that needs to get them up and act on it
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 14:16   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 43 Powercat
Yes, I am listening. Moonpie, tried to reach you by phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

Hello CruisersForum Members,

Though I do participate on many forums, I have never actually posted here. It is a forum I check out from time to time. Yes, it is true, my name is Stephan Lance and I am a lurker on CruisersForum.com.

Regarding the OP's issue. I will listen to calls and speak with staff and find out what occurred. The experience Moonpie had is not normal (as you can tell from the solid support in favor of Defender. THANK YOU for your positive vibes, that felt good).

It is possible that my employee (not one of the veterans here) simply responded poorly to the issue or that some of the details are not being conveyed by the OP [yes, that happens]. I am not saying either is the case, but I will check it out. I wish I could make the claim that "I never got it wrong". I have, we all have.

Moonpie's speakers received a call tag and he will be issued a full refund.

Nice to "meet" you all, though I probably have spoken or corresponded to many of you at some point in my career.

Stephan Lance
President
Defender Industries, Inc.
Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 14:22   #43

Quote:
That's all I wanted. Actually, I would have taken an exchange, but I'll just take a refund and shop elsewhere.
Well ... you will hardly find better prices on a broad range of marine products, and better service than Defender. It's your choice ...

Quote:
I don't think it's unreasonable that I wanted a refund or exchange when I received blown speakers upon arrival.
Not, it wasn't ... and you've got what you were after. Problem solved!

Just write down the name of this helpful lady and ask to speak to her next time you have a problem with your order. Again, it's your choice ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 14:24   #44

Boat: Moody 42

Defender is a first class outfit. You bought some cheap speakers and should had done a bit more research on what you were buying.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 14:25   #45

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Glad you're getting the refund . . .

I don't think there are any laws that require retailers to deal with customers complaints regarding bad products from a manufacturer . . . maybe there are.

But, as I see it, when a business is willing to accept profit to act as a middle-man, they should have the hoopska to act as the middle-man when there are problems.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service