Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 09:37   #1

Boat: O'day 302, 30'
Atrocious Service from Defender

As I recently got into sailing and needed an online place to buy parts, I asked around and heard about defender. Ordered a couple hundred dollars of stuff, and on the site daily looking for more gear.

I ordered and received some Poly Planar Sub Compact Box Speakers and after hooking them up and playing with the EQ settings for many hours, have determined that they are terrible. They're either very poor quality of defective, as they cannot handle even the smallest amount of bass without sounding distorted.

I called defender and got Scott on the phone. Not only was he terribly unhelpful, he was rude. Asking if I had installed them, and if I did, that they weren't returnable. Yes, I screwed the brackets in the bulkhead, and could easily unscrew them. He asked if I had all the original packaging - yes I do. Even have the twist ties, the boxes, the plastic. It has been under 10 days in accordance with their return policy.

Now I don't know if the speakers are defective from the manufacturer, or if they are just the biggest pieces of Chinese sh*t ever made, and frankly, I don't think I should have to be the one to figure that out. Defender thinks I should take it up with the manufacturer. The fact of the matter is, the speakers sound blown at low volume with any bass whatsoever, and that is not acceptable. Defender should stand behind their products, as I in good faith, expected them to sell me quality products.

I'm furious. I've been buying products online since 1997 and have NEVER had such poor customer service. They're supposedly going to call me back and let me know if I can return them. I was more than likely going to exchange them for a more expensive set, not to mention buy a bunch more stuff. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
Moonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:44   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Atrocious Service from Defender

Its pretty standard in the industry to have to go to the manufacturer for quality issues once the item is installed, most especially with electronic equipment. Did you try to contact the manufacturer?
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:45   #3

I'm surprised. I've always had good experiences with Defender, including the time that the UPS guy said that he delivered $200 worth of goods to our house, but either he actually did not, or it got stolen from our doorstep before we got home. In either case, Defender replaced it without any delays.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:48   #4

We've had excellent service from Defender as well.

For manufacturing defects, its pretty much expected to go directly to the manufacturer. Problems with your Ipad? You send it to Apple for example....
Old 12-02-2013, 09:52   #5

I suspect your expectations are just unrealistic for a small pair of box speakers. The fact that you are messing with the EQ settings makes me think you are trying to extract too much bass from them.

What happens if you set the EQ flat? Do they sound reasonable?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:54   #6

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We've always had very good service from Defender.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:55   #7

The pair of Polyplanars I had were terrible. Their only claim to fame is "waterproof". I would simply repackage them carefully and send them back. Doubtful if the person you talked to would be involved at all. Defender shouldnt have been rude, but this is really Polyplanars problem...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:55   #8
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I bet your hard pressed to find anyone else here who's not happy with defender. You can't base any judgement on one transaction. After you've made 50 or 100 orders get back to us. Your opinon will be different.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:57   #9

Boat: O'day 302, 30'

When I have problems with my car, I don't call Germany. When I have problems with my iPod, I don't call Foxconn. I go to the person or company that sold me the product. They know how many complaints, returns, defective products they've sold. They have an account rep with each manufacturer to deal with, and their voice will easily be heard.

Yes, I tried to contact the manufacturer, to no avail.

The true measure of customer service with online orders is NOT how fast you receive your products, but what happens when something goes wrong with your order. In this measure, defender fails big time.
Moonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:06   #10

Well we had problems with orders from Defender and they not only took the returns quickly the covered the shipping. We also have done several thousands of of business with Defender, not a a couple of hundred.

If you do not take your car to the manufacturer for repair you bought it used with no warranty. If you bought it new you DO take it to the manufactuers facility to have it covered.

I'm guessing you haven't ever purchased marine electronics before. If you have a problem with your chartplotter or other instruments you are instructed to send it back to the manufacturer.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:40   #11

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Moonpie, I usually have no problem with Defender. However, I emailed them and called them in the last 4 weeks to get pricing on a product that they would special order from one of their regular vendors. They have not returned either my email or call. I wonder what is going on there. And I have been buying from them for about 8 years.

I would go up the ladder. As a whole they are a great organization. You may have gotten the new guy.

Anyway, I had the exact same problem with my Polyplanar speakers purchased from Amazon. Return was no problem. I bought these instead and they sound 1000% better than teh PPs. They are also 1/3 the price.

Amazon.com: PYLE PLMR24 3.5-Inch 200 Watt 3-Way Weather Proof Mini Box Speaker System (White): Car Electronics
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:44   #12

Boat: Custom Ketch Asperida

I've been dealing with Defender for over 20 years. They were then in New Rochelle, CT.
Never've had any problems. I also used their catalog and prices to buy items at the local WM because they were accepting Defender prices. Thanks Defender
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:47   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I don't think anyone here is trying to alienate you Moon, just our collective experience with defender really has been good. Electronics has always been difficult to return to any store. If I walk out of best buy and walk back in it's stlll mine. The only exception has been when I bought the warrantee. Slow down, take a big breath, and ask if this is a hill to die over. If it is I suggest you get out of sailing. I have spent thousands in things that were of poor enough quality that they had to be replaced soon. :-)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:07   #14
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I like it to be christmas every day, so during the summer months I order 3-5 time a week. I always have something waiting on my doorstep. I shouldnt judge you because I dont know you, and because we've only had 1 interaction. Similar to you not knowing enough about defender to judge or badmouth them. Same as calling me a troll when you dont know me. Once again defender rocks, but feel free to shop at west if you want.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:12   #15

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

NO ONE . . . in their right mind, wants to deal with a manufacturer with an Items that barely made it out of a box.

I would think it obvious, that the quality of the speakers would be unknown, except for "obvious", damage, until someone hoods the speakers up to a stereo.

I would also think that in most applications for a vehicle(& especially a boat), the speakers would have to be installed to be hooked up.

I understand having had speakers for a while and then having problems and THEN having to deal with the manufacturer, but this isn't the case here.

I would also wonder why would anyone in their right mind buy ANYTHING from a retailer if any and all problems had to be resolved with the manufacturer?

Especially since, dealing with a manufacturer, who no doubt, is not set up to deal directly with retail buyers, packaging, postage, time and delays.

I would say that if defender can't stand in for their retail customers, they should get out of the business of selling retail, for this one aspect of retail sales that customers really need, expect and deserve.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service